Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitamo

Keeping shelves from sliding forward in frameless cabinet

anitamo
9 years ago

I've searched everywhere for an answer and nothing is helping me, so I turn now to the experts!!! Just had frameless cabinets installed and am not happy with the how the shelves can move forward and tip if you're not careful. I may be making a problem where none exists, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The cabinet shelves came with standard shelf clips, and a whole bunch of screws. What the packs of screws are for, no clue. I know I can reinforce the shelf with l-brackets , but I'd like to know if any GW'er came up with a more creative, and less permanent,solution. If the holes for the shelf clips were closer to the back of the cabinet, hey wouldn't tip if they accidentally slid forward. I can drill another row of holes, but again, I'm looking for other ideas.

Or is there a special clip that holds the shelf in place? I googled for an hour and couldn't find one. I had framed cabinets before so the frame holds the shelf in place, unlike these frameless ones. Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (16)

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

You can get shelf pins with a hole for a screw. You don't need to use screws at all four corners. I'd probably use two, at just the front or back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelf Support with Anti-Tip

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

Or these pins... Which require holes on the bottom of the shelf, but no screws.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelf support with pin

• ardcp
    9 years ago

my medallion cabinets came with a plastic lock clip that fits into the hole above the shelf to keep it secure. i would think there would be someplace that sells them or something like it.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

You might try putting one of those small rubber stick on "bumps" that are used to quiet closing doors, on each shelf support. Might be just enough friction with weight on the shelf to keep from sliding as easily. Or, as others have said, put a small screw through the hole if there is one. Chris

• anitamo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great ideas! Thanks so much for the help.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

when I have a shelf that might tip forward (have had those in the closet) I just use a screw and screw it in(or a few for long shelf) along the back into the wall and down close to the shelf (almost touching it). I don't screw it in all the way - leave it out about qtr of an inch or so.

If it tries to tip forward those screws will stop it.

the plastic lock clip pic'd above looks nifty. Didn't know they made things for that purpose. screws are cheaper I'm sure and won't be seen anyway. you could put one on each side about midway if needed. Be careful with the length of it - not to screw it into the next cabinet.

• anitamo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wonder where I can get those Ardcp and Suzanne? The ones from Richelieu don't seem to be available except in orders of 100 minimum and as a business account. Will most likely have to use the ones with screws if I can't find the ones pictured above. Will checkout innermost . Thanks all!

• anitamo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris...I thought about using bumpers too. Will have to look for those too. Options now...

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Is this really a problem once you have shelves loaded with whatever? I have Ikea cabinets and have only seem this as an issue when first built, before loading the shelves up.

• robbcs3
    9 years ago

The shelf pins with the point and hole in the bottom of the shelf are the way to go.

Just an fyi- those white plastic locking clips are just there for shipping, to keep the shelves in the cabinet from moving. It's certainly okay to keep them, but they were meant to be thrown out.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

I have closet shelving that came with something like these to keep them from tipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelf Hold Down Clip

• ardcp
    9 years ago

robbcs3 - my kitchen installers put the clips in after the cabinets were up so they must never throw them away. they are quite useful as i used to have my old aristokraft shelves collapse/move from time to time.

• anitamo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sushipup...you're probably right and it won't be a problem once everything is in the cabinets. I'm just being proactive and driving myself crazy with these little details. Time to breathe....

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

I had these in a previous kitchen. They are one-piece plastic shelf pins with a spring clip that hold the shelf in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Locking Shelf Clip

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

those should work great - unless the sides don't have all of those holes to put them into. Mine were just shelves I bought at HD and put in my closet and a few in my pantry.

you'd think that places like HD would sell those in pkgs of something like 20 or so.