Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

thought i'd post an update

kateskouros
13 years ago

well, things are still moving very slowly and i am beyond upset with our builder. that's a story i don't want to go into as it just upsets me more. let's just say there are far too many days i find myself breaking into the little bottle my doctor gave me to use in extreme situations only. we are on month #28 ...and counting.

the cabinet maker came in today to work on the folding doors for the baking center and breakfast bar. i love the hinges we found for the baking center (non operable) but we need a few more for the upper glass front cabs.

{{!gwi}}

i think the appliance garages for the breakfast bar look cool, but i can tell already that i went a little crazy with all the doors. while it will be nice to hide that section away when company is here it will no doubt remain open for business the other 363 days of the year!

{{gwi:1475532}}

we're waiting on the flooring to be completed to install the legs for the island. while i initially thought it would be a little too big, i find the size is comfortable for the space. it affords a lot of extra storage as well as houses my turbo-chef oven. while i HAD to have that oven, i'm not hot on the look of it. -i know, everyone loves it. except me.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1446454}}

i also thought i'd include a pic of the mudroom pendant. i bought it from an ebay vendor. it may sound crazy, but it is one of my most favorite things about the house! it's absolutely stunning IRL!

{{gwi:1408269}}

they finally started doing the millwork on the fireplaces and our stairs are being installed. as soon as they're complete we'll go over our punch list, paint and do the floors. while some lighting is in, i wouldn't let them hang any more until the floors are sanded. yeah, i'm crazy like that.

i'll be back soon. i have to break into my bottle of happy pills.

Comments (63)

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

I know that you've put a lot of thought and time into this project, and I know it has been a long (and frustrating) road.

I have to say this, though...Stunning. On the rare occasion that my mouth can actually form words instead of drooling, that's what comes out of it.

/it's really, really beautiful. Even as an unfinished room.

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

I don't even know what to say about such a gorgeous kitchen. Incredible job. All that beauty and a mudroom! I am so sorry to hear about the problems but it looks like you are in the home stretch. I hope things improve for you.

• marmoreus
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I really wanted a star pendant like that somewhere but couldn't find the right spot. It looks great in your mudroom. That marble island top really is spectacular. Hang in there through this last bit. You've almost made it!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Amazing! I'm so sorry things aren't going smoothly on this huge project, but it's going to be sooooo worth it! That marble is just incredible--it begs to have hands running over it and, of course, a pie crust rolled out on it. Hang in there, you're definitely in sight of the finish line!

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks everyone, for the kind words. sorry to complain about the delays. every day seems to bring more bad news. our well was supposed to be dug last month but at the last minute we found out we needed to redirect our trenches. by the time we learned of this we had already been plummeted by the first snow of the year. we've been hit every week since and the ground is frozen solid.

even if by some miracle the builder manages to "bang out" (as he says) the interior -we won't have water. it just seems that even without this little set back there is STILL so much to do.

i'm sorry to come here and complain. sometimes i need to keep myself in check.

questions answered: the cherry cabinets are stained "colonial" with brown glaze. painted cabs are maple, paint is SW dover white. the floors are american black walnut and run throughout the house. they will not be stained, but treated with waterlox w/ tung oil.

rhome: i was very nervous about choosing the stain and glaze for the baking center and island. i had always envisioned them as being very dark but when i brought all the sample doors home (and there were many!) the darker stains looked a bit too formal, and also seemed too stark next to the white cabinets. i made several more trips to the cabinet makers shop trying to come up with the perfect stain combo, until i finally took notice of a set of cabinets that had been in the showroom. he removed a door off the display and i took it home and -voila! BUT i was again stunned when my cabinets went in as they are still lighter than what i chose ...but the cherry will darken. of course i knew this but i never pass an opportunity for a good, old-fashioned FREAK out.

things never seem to work out as i expect but they always turn out better!
    you guys really cheered me up! i needed it, so thanks. really!

• thrilledtobuild
    13 years ago

Your entire house is stunning and the kitchen is certainly a showstopper! All of your thought and hard work clearly shows through in your amazing attention to detail! My dearest wish for you is that one day (perhaps many years from now), you'll be able to look back at all you went through and have a chuckle - at least after a big glass of wine!!

This too shall pass!

And vent away - where else will you find a group of people who both understand and CARE!

• parislove
    13 years ago

Oh wow, this is gorgeous! I like the symmetry you have going on. We tried to do something similar but didn't have all that space!

How large are the pendants over your island?

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

What a kitchen this will be!!!

• nini804
    13 years ago

Absolutley amazing...that long row of windows is utterly gorgeous, and your island is to die for!! You are nearing the end...keep on forging ahead! When you are stressed, just look at your island and that will cheer you up! Kudos on an gorgeous kitchens.

• sandn
    13 years ago

Kateskouros,
    I'm fairly new to your story, but that is definitely a kitchen worth waiting for. Beautiful finishes everywhere. Once you've moved in, I bet you'll forget all about this long prelude. Would you tell me about the edge profile on your island marble? We are just now selecting the slab for our island. Does yours have a built-up edge and does it step back along the seam?
    I'll be watching to see your backsplash go in, and the final finish on those gorgeous walnut floors.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I bet if we took a vote, everyone here would put up with however long it took to get your end results! If you can dazzle all us TKOers, imagine the regular Joe who walks in your house..... you will need a supply of smelling salts.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Yea!!! More gorgeous, jaw-dropping photos from Kate! When you post pics they sure brighten my day, even if you're frustrated. Sorry! This house will be soooo worth it in the end if you can just hang on.

BTW, I've been looking for some pulls like you have. Can you tell me about them please? AND....what do you have planned for those interesting short horizontal shelves to the right of the cleanup sink?

Keep your chin up!

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

OMG, gorgeous! And I love your mudroom pendant, too. Good choice!

Sorry you're having so many headaches with this build, though.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Hi Kate,

Oh I'm such a ding-dong. I was looking and drooling over your kitchen last night, busy adding it to my "clippings", aka my "just in case" file. And I realized that I didn't even leave a comment! How rude!

I just wanted to say what everyone else is saying, that this is already so gorgeous, it's hard to believe it is going to get any better! Hang in there, I know you want to get it over with, but it will be done soon. If the pills run out, I would suggest getting out the Margaritaville machine--it will lift your spirits and who can't use a little summer right now? You do have a dedicated spot for it in your appliance cabinet, right?

-Bee

• cjc123
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning! I can hardly wait to see it all polished up and lived in! You've done a wonderful job with all your choices. I so wish my kitchen was as large and bright as yours. Don't lose it now that you are so close. Deep breathing with a smile on your face really helps and when you do it infront of contractors it is sure to lighten the mood!! :-)

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i hope i didn't miss anyone's questions, but in case i did, i will post a full spec sheet with the finish pics (whenever that may be).

lolab: the mudroom cubbies are maple and will be stained. no idea what color, yet.

trailgirl: the island is waiting for the floors to be finished so we can install legs. there is also support under the built-up edge on the counter.

parislove: the pendants are 14" wide but they look a LOT bigger! i got them at williams-sonoma home a while ago so i'm not sure if they still have them but i've seen them around through other vendors.

sandn: yes, the island has a built-up dupont edge.

breezygirl: i've got my hardware selects in a file so i can just cut and paste it for you! ...i love the hardware and have gotten many compliments on it.

schaub traditional pulls (4", 6", 12") in polished nickel (homehardware4less.com)
    1" drop pull in polished nickel (vandykes.com catalog ID: 204527 item ID: 02024822)
    bin pull polished nickel (vandykes.com catalog ID: 202513 item ID: 02016637)
    1" crystal round knob, polished nickel (M25 cal crystal http://www.knobs-etc.com/calcrystal/calcrystal-leadcrystal.htm) -not in love with these. too small.
    cliffside industries icebox latch IBCL-PN $25 (regalhomesource.com)

and wouldn't you know it? it's SNOWING AGAIN. more delays! there's nothing i can do about it though. i'm so grateful for all the generous comments. thanks guys. you make my day ;*)

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

Does anyone know why the price of the Schaub traditional polished nickel pull goes from $13.98 for a 6" pull to $111.75 for a 12" pull? The 4" pull is only a couple bucks cheaper than the 6" pull. This makes no sense to me.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the appliance pulls are always expensive. there is a very noticeable difference in weight between the 6" and 12" pulls. i have the 12" pulls on my thermador 30" columns and those doors are HEAVY. i pulled in a lot of hardware and these stood out for quality. they're very weighty and the finish is brilliant. hope that helps.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

t is stunning. You have great style and it's all going to look fantastic when it is complete. Maybe it is like having a baby, you will forget the pain?! Hope so. You will have a great kitchen in the end. Got to ask, what is the shelving meant for on the end of the sink run near the small window?

• johnzack
    13 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! So spacious.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

It's fantastic, but the sham hinges spoil it for me because they are illogically placed. Doors aren't hinged between the raised panel and the door stile. If you wanted an accurate effect of a hinge there, the outermost stiles could have been made 2" wider, with an incised shadow line to look like an attached piece of faceframe, then the hinge spanning the shadow line would create a convincing illusion; this will fool no-one. But as long as UR happy.
    Casey (I'm like the turd in the punchbowl)

• charlikin
    13 years ago

Piling on for another WOW! Gorgeous. Can't wait to see it finished (as I'm sure you can't wait). Will be worth it!

• carolinesmom
    13 years ago

Looking beautiful! I too am interested in the Moravian star pendant and would love ebay vendor ID.

• aokat15
    13 years ago

Kate - absolutely stunning!!! I love seeing your photos and updates!! I've hit many delays on our home renovation as well and I feel your pain - although I'm only coming up on a year - so no where near as long! We're moving in in two weeks and I'm due with baby #3 in 3.5 weeks so I've had other things that have caused the anxiety and stress to go through the roof! Anyway, one thing my mother keeps saying to me is that as long as it's been - we'll hopefully be in the house for a long time and it'll all be worth it. I have to tell myself that over and over again :) but I do think that will be the case and I hope it will be for you as well. Good luck and what a fantastic job you've done on all of the details!!

• ptyles
    13 years ago

What an amazingly beautiful space!! So sorry that this awful winter weather is causing such issues for you. Let's hope this last snow is the last!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! Your attention to detail is really paying off.

Thanks for showing us the progress.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh. My. Goodness.

(Hand me my smelling salts. I'm going down!)

Seriously amazing.

• artmeetsscience
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is wonderful. I truly agree with all the positive and supportive comments. Continue to patiently work with your team. From here it looks like a wonderful finish isn't too far off.

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Stunning. I thought it looked amazing weeks ago when you posted but the addition of the stained pieces truly take it to another level.

You are almost there and it will all be worth it in the end.

• cj47
    13 years ago

I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said, so I'll just repeat it all: Stunning, wow, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous...wow... I think I'm going to hyperventilate. What a truly wonderful space. It will be worth it in the end...hang in there, and come here to vent anytime you feel you need to.

Cj

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i had a slight breakdown today as the snow was falling and found only one guy working in the house. i find i need to have at least one a week to get it out of system. the builder tells me he "hates" when i yell at him because i "really stress" him out. hands up -who feels sorry for him??

thank you again for the compliments! tomorrow will be a better day.

caronlinesmom: the ebay vendor is randybell2118 -or you can just search ebay for moravian stars and he'll come up. he makes several at different price points -depending on the number of points, beveled glass and size. mine is 16 or 18" (?) with 26 points and beveled glass. the more points the better, imo! the star canopy is sold separately, otherwise it comes with a round canopy. the quality is excellent!

sombreuil_mongrel, i understand perfectly as i myself am sometimes considered the "turd in the punch bowl". and i (of course) realized the hinges would never look authentic without some modification to the doors -but they were an after thought, so the doors were already built. my bad. and lesson learned: work out ALL the details BEFORE you build.
    in the end i decided no one was going to be as persnickety as me. or so i thought. ;*)

• tinycastles
    13 years ago

I love the hinges. And the adorable lil' chunky oven. And the beautiful cabinetry. And the whole darn kitchen! Tell us about the hinges...make, model, etc.

I hate to ask this.....why is your gorgeous floor not covered with rosin paper or something? I cringe seeing all the dust and boot tracks. I realize it's unfinished, but it still seems like a necessary precaution.

• Pipdog
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! That mudroom pendant is to die for! I can't wait to see the finished photos.

• sadiebrooklyn
    13 years ago

while our kitchens are completely different stylewise they share two common things: a CC range and honed marble. Did anyone try to talk you out of honed marble? My contractor is still campaigning for polished.....but I am holding firm. The fire/flood contractors are spackling right now and the place should be primed by next friday and then my contractor can lay the floors down. Henrybuilt had to send the cabinets into storage when they arrived a few weeks ago!

nice to see someone making some progress with their kitchen! yes that's you!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Kate,

The kitchen is magnificent. It is easy to forget the
    prettier the kitchen the more time, energy, sweat, tears
    and frustration behind all the beauty. I can only imagine
    how you must be feeling. You just want it to be done. You
    just want to move into the your space, touch your finger
    tips to the smooth surface counters, sip your coffee, open
    up a cook book, log in to GW and enjoy being in your dream
    Kitchen. Enjoy the space. And today not tomorrow!

Every snow flake, every late or no show contractor,
    Every painstaking delay ... is pushing you over the edge of
    aggravation. You are not alone. And you have every right
    to feel sad at times. This has been a long haul. I am
    amazed at your fortitude. If some days you feel angry,
    stymied, overwhelmed, irritated, discouraged, and
    beleaguered ...come to GW and pour it out. Truly there are
    others on here that do understand. And I say go ahead and
    scream at the GC. He needs to understand you are doing the
    best you can. You want this done too.

One thing that has helped me on the worst days of a reno
    has been humor. Rent a funny movie, go out to a comedy
    club, laugh with friends, and be good to you. You deserve
    this beautiful kitchen and you deserve a little laugher in
    your heart right now. And while praise may not make your
    situation any better your space truly is magnificent.
    A dream kitchen that you have designed with perfect
    combinations.
    ~boxer

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

that was a very thoughtful response boxer. thanks so much. i'm okay for the rest of this week, as i had my breakdown already. next week should be fun though! we got absolutely HAMMERED with snow last night and we're supposed to get even MORE tonight. trying to keep my perspective ...things could always be worse.

tinycastles: i have to find out the source for the hinges. the cabinet maker found them. they were not my first choice however, as i wanted something much more utilitarian looking -these are very decorative.

sadie: our idiot GC tries to talk me out of everything. he told me three times he would not "allow" me to put in a white kitchen. (!) he even went so far as to order and install DIFFERENT windows than what our architect spec'd and was approved by us. i had a little discussion with him about who's house this was and ...let's just say after that, he toes a very straight line.

and i forgot to answer those who asked about the small shelves in the corner by the range: they're for spices. i like to use those aluminum tins and thought that would be a good place for them. of course i won't be able to reach the very top -so they'll be decorative, or i can get one of those geriatric "reach" tools. silly i know, but you'll have to give me a break. i can't work out everything. : )

• wkate640
    13 years ago

Kate,
    Your kitchen is beyond beautiful. What a magnificent job. What are the overall dimensions, and what are the dimensions of your island? Can you post a few more pictures of it when you have a minute?

• 2golftoday
    13 years ago

Kate,

Your kitchen is absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see final pics :)

• adoptedbyhounds
    13 years ago

Just...WOW! From here it looks perfect! Hope it is finished soon so you can stop being frustrated, and start enjoying your beautiful kitchen.

• dhuston
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! Didn't think i really liked white kitchens until I saw yours. Love the cherry cabinets and the island too.

Can you tell me the dimensions of the island? Also the depth of the overhang and if you are going to need a support in the center?

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Thanks for answering Kate, I thought about spices but I thought maybe that is for something I don't know about yet. Good idea. I like the stain color you chose for the wood, you are right sensing more formality in a darker color like mahogany. We are going to be building another house and I would have just chosen the darker because I like it but seeing yours helps make decisions. Thanks for posting and sharing.

• niffy
    13 years ago

love it!!!
    You cabinet maker has done a spectacular job...with YOUR design. It is all lovely.
    Key to survival: low expectations to minimize disappointment (I wasnt good at that!). Not low, as in quality, but low re: your timeline. Expect your paint to take a good long time,with all that beautiful millwork you have. I think ours took five weeks. it will all be worth it.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks again. the kitchen measures 22' (sink wall w/windows) x 27'. -the kitchen in our first house was 10 x 12 so this is a big upgrade for me!
    the island is 5.5' x 12' with an overhang of 12" (i think). the stone fabricator built up the dupont edge and there is added support that spans the entire length and width of the slab, on the other side. it doesn't need support but it will have two legs (waiting for floors) -so, no support in the center.

i hope this answers everyone -if i missed anything i'll post full specs with the final pics. TY again for letting me vent. it really helps.

• gayl
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! I'm diying to see the finished product...

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

Kate.. your kitchen is a total inspiration. I love the dimensions, spaciousness and warmth... those floors are just beautiful...

You are almost there, so just relax and enjoy the home run. Congratulations on such a work of art:)

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

another vote for STUNNING! thanks for the frank updates and reality checks on the process. know you are helping others in the process.

• robynkf
    13 years ago

Absolutely STUNNING! I can't wait to see the final product. You've probably answered this somewhere, but what are you doing for a backsplash? Also - you wouldn't happen to have a picture of your calacatta island when it was in the stone yard that you could post? I am in the midst of doing something similar and for the life of me can't figure out what the polished somewhat busy slab that I am viewing vertically will look like when honed and horizontal. We seem to have a limited selection here right now, and I only have the choice between two 3 cm slabs.....

• sayde
    13 years ago

How did I miss this? Kate your kitchen is TDF! Just beautiful. I totally empathize as we are into our eighth month and have several more to go. I don't know which is worse: dealing with contractors and tradespeople who don't meet expectations, or having your own dear spouse doing everything (which is what we're doing) -- so there's only so much one person can do every day and still stay sane. But I do know from prior experience (bathrooms) that the pain is forgotten once everything is completed. Your kitchen is going to be such a joy.

Just try to imagine the sun shining (it's spring? summer?) and all the people you love standing around that gorgeous island, celebrating with you. Hold that thought!!!!!

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

You have an amazingly beautiful kitchen! I am in love with that star pendant and trying to think of a place it would work in my house. I hope that things start moving at a quicker pace once you have an eventual thaw. Let the margaritas flow!

• rexroat
    12 years ago

Hi Kate-
    I was wondering if you could tell me how tall your mudroom ceiling is?
    We are contemplating buying a Moravian Star pendant for one of our bedrooms which have 8' ceilings and don't want it to hang too low. I noticed that your star is 18", we are looking at the 13.5" version.

Thanks! rexroat