Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ao34_gw

stupid faucet questions

ao34
11 years ago

So I've picked out the sink I want (25X22 siligranit in cafe brown)

Now I need a faucet. The needs are:

1. 1 hole/the sink only has a one hole opening on the side/I don't want the expense of cutting into my countertops.

2. brushed nickel (to match my hardware)

3. pull down/pull out (is there a difference?)

Now what's the difference between the faucets in the $150-$200 range and the $600 range? Am I missing something? Pull lever/ water comes out? I am not interested in the touch ones or the motion sensor.

Comments (20)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Pull down vs. pull out is usually a personal preference. I have a pull down single handle Moen in classic stainless (which does not show spots). It was something like $300, I think. It's great. One of the features I like is that once you put it into spray, it stays by itself - "spray hold" - until you either switch it back or turn off the water.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

1. I don't understand. The faucet must go through the countertop regardless if the sink is a top mount with a pre-drilled hole or an undermount. You will have a hole in the counter.

2. Whatever you prefer.

3. Yes! There is a difference! I much prefer a pull down. I'll paste some thread URLs with this discussion. A pulldown is a higher profile faucet where the spray nossle is pulled down. A pullout is a lower profile faucet where you must pull the spray nossle out. The aesthetic and ergonomics are different. Only you can decide which is best.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg032210188386.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0211543820225.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0309302313055.html

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

There are a lot of threads on pull down v pull out faucets (try a google search). I know because before I bought mine I did a lot of reading on everyone's opinions on here! I didn't personally know anyone that had either. Since I purchased my pull DOWN my parents replaced theirs with a pull OUT and I am very happy I chose what I did. Now I would likely get used to that motion if that is what I had but I think the pull down is much more comfortable? I find the pull out to feel kind of wonky with hand placement/comfort. My opinion if that helps at all.

Side note: if you get a pull down I highly recommend getting one with a magnetic docking. No problems after 18 months with the head dangling out of the base.

I can't speak to the $600 range. I can say that there is quite a difference between the builder special I had and
    the pull down I bought for under $300. LOVE it.

There may be a difference between $250 and $600 like there is between $25 and $250 - not sure. I would *think* like anything the law of diminishing return applies. So maybe the average person wouldn't notice the difference in those price points? Hopefully someone else can weigh in on that one.

Good luck. Oddly it is one of my favorite things about my updated kitchen - that and the undermount sink.

Have fun!

Sorry - I had so many interruptions while typing this that I just repeated what breezy and ginny said!

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Addison Pull Down

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 18:23

• ao34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. This site is great :)

Breezygirl...its a top mount. I am replacing my stainless steel topmount. The current faucet just goes thru the sink. When that sink comes out, I will just put the faucet thru this sink/but on the side. I hope. I will have a professional do it. It can be altered to an undermount in the future if I decide I want to change the countertops.

I think after looking at those links and suggestions I am leaning towards a pull down but will go to the store and look at them. I think my current is a pull out.

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Good call at going and checking them out in person. Our old one was really low profile - totally standard cheap-o and when I went to the pull down with the high arc - I kind of freaked out at how tall it was in comparison. I got used to is quickly though. :)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Pulldown

Pullout

• Fori
    11 years ago

Remember that they're rarely hooked up right in the stores and the pulling mechanism will feel crummy. So don't let that affect your choice.

I like pulldowns because I prefer a taller faucet. I've had two recently and after comparing the two, I might pay the extra $300 next time. (I would not have spent that much on a faucet except it was the only thing out there that was the size I needed. But it really was a better faucet.)

Of course, once you have the holes picked out, replacing faucets is an easy DIY job. They don't have to be permanent so don't stress.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

Pull out.

• snowbean
    11 years ago

I bought a Kohler Simplice. It's a pull down and my requirement was the ability to mount it with the handle facing forward so the drips do not end up on my counter top :) I bought it on Ebay. This faucet does come in different finishes including stainless.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Snowbean, love that faucet! Does the sprayer stay on if you let go of the button (lock on, I guess?)?. I want one that can mount with the handle in front, and has a sprayer that locks on so I don't have to hold the button down. Hard to tell in the descriptions sometimes!

• Fori
    11 years ago

Heh. The Simplice is what I have that makes me miss my Hansgrohe. I probably got a lemon. Yes, the switch stays on spray until you switch it back. In fact, mine won't get off spray regardless of switch position. :)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Forward facing handles Rock!
    Latch on spray is great!
    Ours is a positive lock to hold the spray head in place - it stays in place!
    I think I am tired and still have to clean the dishes and this is Eastern time - so better get moving and catch GW on the rebound.

• msl511
    11 years ago

With the forward facing handle, do you end up putting your hand and wrist in the water stream to turn the water off or adjust the temperature or do you find yourself reaching around?

I've got a pull out faucet right now that I'm perfectly happy with. I don't find myself wishing for a pull down. But I've never used a pull down, so maybe I'd like it better. Obviously the aesthetics of pull out vs. pull down are personal. But for those of you who prefer the functionality of the pull down, can you say why?

• Fori
    11 years ago

I like the pulldowns better just because they're higher. I don't use the hose function enough to care, although for my small hands, the dinkier head of a pulldown is a little easier than the gun of a pull out.

I don't think it matters much where the handle is unless you always have the spout facing forward. I put mine on the left (because I'm right handed).

And the Simplice is not a bad faucet at all. Just the sticky spray button bugs me because I don't like spray. It's sturdy, well-proportioned, fits my sink, and the hose and handle mechanisms are silky smooth. Maybe there's peanut butter in my button....

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Marcia--my handles/controllers are mounted forward, as you can see in my photo above. I think I got my arm wet once during the first couple of times I used my cleanup sink. Even if I'm standing right square in front of the sink, my right hand, the one I reach with most often, isn't in the center of my body. Therefore, when I reach, my arm is automatically not in the middle to get wet. Even if I am standing off-center, my arm doesn't get wet now. Muscle memory takes place very quickly. Many times my spigot is directed to one side or the other anyway in the sink, usually to the left since I'm right-handed and want the extra space to the right of the water stream.

I like the pulldown vs the pullout because it's more natural to me to pull down to spray the bottom of the sink or what have you than it is to pull towards my body. When I go to grab, my hand is rotated vertically so pulling down just makes more sense to me than to rotate my hand in an unnatural way to pull out like you would do with a pullout. Plus, at least with the pullouts I saw in showrooms, the pulldowns seemed to leave more room between me and the water steam to work. The pullouts seemed to be in my way. And, this will sound horrible, but I thought the pullouts were ugly and ungraceful. I like the elegant arch of pulldowns. Just my opinion, of course. There is absolutely nothing wrong with pullouts!! It's great that we have so many options available for all kinds of different tastes and functions!

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

I don't feel there are any stupid faucet questions. It's a very complex choice for most and it's likely the most used piece of equipment in the kitchen bar none. So it's important, too.

I personally favor a pull down because that's where all the great features are right now. I also like a right or left side single lever set up. I don't want a second piece (like a joystick) to clean. And don't want wet wrists though some like the insink handle set up. For last house I bought a KWC Systema pull down which rocked. Solid, powerful and easy to operate with button to lock on the spray.

The Kohler Simplice, however, is a great choice. It has all the features and a great price point. A man who designs faucets for Kohler has it in his personal kitchen.

But the short answer to the quality/price question is: brass. The more metal in the faucet (and conversely the less plastic) the more durable and higher quality. One ultra-high-end faucet line (mgs progetti) has all stainless steel components. Those are in the $1000-2000 range as a yardstick.

The way to tell how much metal is simple -- the heavier it feels the more metal there is. I know it's hard to judge when faucets are installed on a display but picking up a box will do the job more or less. Also watch for metal hose vs fiber mesh hose.

However, there are many excellent brands and choices in all price ranges and no horrid complaints except for the lowest of the low end usually (and then not always). So get what you love, what looks good with your sink and general kitchen style, and what the budget permits.

Some recommended faucets include the Grohe Minta (modern), Kohler Vinnata (big & super popular but likely too beefy for a sink with your dimensions), the Kohler Simplice, the Delta touch faucets which also pull down (pricier), the KWC faucets (Swiss quality but towards the higher end).

Also now Kohler is out with a variation on the touch called the Sensate which is a pulldown with a sensor under the head so you just move under it. It looks great and I must say I find it intriguing but it's very new and likely $$$.
    Here's a link to a Consumer Reports video that shows how it works the video and gives the prices.

Sorry to rattle on, this is probably more than you wanted to know. But I'd shop it online, do the diligence of seeing and feeling it in person, and don't forget to check ebay. There are plenty of bargains out there. Good luck!

This post was edited by rococogurl on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 15:16

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

marcia-I like the pull down because it is a smaller piece that fits in your hand and easy to manipulate with your wrist. A simple pull down and pivot with your wrist and you can get the whole sink and sides. With a pull out it feels bigger, bulkier and kind of clunky to pull out and then turn it to get the back of the sink. It's more of a maneuver than a quick wrist rotation. The handle part that comes with the pull out part feels like it's in the way to me. Just my opinion.

My spray stays on unless I turn it off also - definitely a plus! I have brushed stainless and it doesn't show water spots readily.

• athenab
    11 years ago

I can't speak to the faucets that are between $200-600. However, I can tell you that there's a HUGE difference between faucets that are $200 and a faucet that is $600. I kept buying basic Moen faucets, around $175-200. It seemed that every 2-3 years I was changing it. I finally said ENOUGH! I splurged. I really didn't do much research on this because I hadn't thought about my kitchen remodel at that time and because I needed a faucet ASAP, but I bought a Grohe pull-down faucet. I love that faucet. It functions so smoothly, easily and beautifully. But it was pricey about somewhere between $600-700. But since I haven't had to change it or repair it in anyway, it was so worth it. I don't have a 'stay on' function, but that would be a great feature I think.

• Holly321
    11 years ago

I have to 2nd the Grohe LadyLuxe pull down. I love mine and it really is one of my favorite things about my new kitchen. I preferred the metal to nylon hoses. This Grohe replaced a Delta pull out, which was a fine faucet and worked very well. My only issue with the Delta actually had to do with the old sink's depth, and the way that it was situated on the base cabinet below. I was constantly dealing with excessive splashing. I guess I'm not sure what would be a good way to figure all that out before purchase, but a great plumbing supply shop (not HD or Lowe's) should indeed have faucets hooked up and running, and their knowledgable staff should be able to talk to you and help you figure out what it is that you want. And no it's not at all a stupid question, you will use the faucet everyday and it's actually very important! Good Luck.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" I don't understand. The faucet must go through the countertop regardless if the sink is a top mount with a pre-drilled hole or an undermount. You will have a hole in the counter. "

It depends on the size and style of the sink.

Some sinks have a large enough area to mount the faucet within the sink cutout in the counter.

Other sinks are designed to have the faucet mounted separately to the counter.