Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniebrewer

Concrete counters?

jenniebrewer
12 years ago

Hi all- I've been spending hours looking through all of your advice and pictures preparing for a major remodel we will be starting on in the middle of the month. Y'all have done some amazing projects!!

I'm planning for white kitchen cabinets, a painted grey island, and some greyish/greenish penny tile for the backspalsh. I'm hung up on the counters! I've been to what seems like a thousand granite yards, and I just haven't found anything that makes me really excited....I just cant spend that much money on something if I'm not super exited about it, ya know?

Anyhow, I love love love the marble look, but with a two year old and a three year old, im certain that I would be one mean mommy if I had them in my kitchen (out of the budget, too). I've seen people with quartzite that I like, but I can't seem to find it here.

Has anyone had experience with concrete?? Thats where I'm leaning right now, but have only talked with one person who has used them- she loves loves them, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any words of wisdom for me.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

Concrete is porous and etches just like marble does. It needs to be kept sealed just like marble does. If you can't live with marble, you can't live with concrete. Plus, it's probably more expensive than the marble. If you are going to get an expensive delicate counter that needs to be pampered, you might as well get the marble that you like.

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

A friend of mine installed DIY concrete counters and they are beautiful. Inexpensive if you are handy and can DIY. I think even if they scratch and etch (which I never noticed about her counters), they have a more rustic look, so any scratching and etching fits right in, unlike marble (in my opinion).

It might be worth getting an estimate from a mason, if you are still leaning toward concrete. I think they can be very pretty and you can have them tinted different colors.

• atlbeardie
    12 years ago

Please do a search for concrete countertops on this forum (using search at bottom of page, or better yet: site specific search on Google) and you will find many posts on the topic. As someone who has concrete countertops that have been subjected to fairly rigorous use for two years, I have responded to many of these threads reporting my very favorable experience.

Briefly, if you use a good (and experienced) installer and an excellent sealer, the countertops can be practically bulletproof and will not be susceptible to etching, scratching or cracking. All that I can surmise about the people on this forum who respond otherwise is that they are reporting experiences based on the early days of concrete countertops before good sealers were developed. Or perhaps their installer was not very experienced.

I have both concrete and granite countertops in my kitchen, and find I gravitate towards using the concrete surfaces simply for their ease of cleanup and their durability.

Hope this helps.

• atlbeardie
    12 years ago

Here's a link to one of my earlier posts on the topic. See below

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous post on concrete countertops

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Last weekend I was at a friend's house. Her kitchen is quite large and she has concrete counters on the perimeter and island, plus fireplace surround and hearth in the adjacent (open) family room. The perimeters, island and fireplace are all different, coordinating colors. I'm not sure how old they are, at least four years, and they look awesome (I looked closely). They do a lot of cooking and entertaining and aren't fussy with things, so I would say they are holding up well. Personally, I love the look of concrete.

• atlbeardie
    12 years ago

Here's a link to one of my earlier posts on the topic. See below

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous post on concrete countertops

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

nclakehouse--do you have pix of your concrete countertop?

• jenniebrewer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, y'all. We are closing on the house tomorrow, submitting for our permit with the city (moving a load bearing wall), and then we will get started - so, I'm going to have to make a decision asap!

Will let y'all know what I decide!