Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkoebnick

So many names for the same granite?

jkoebnick
12 years ago

I put some granite slabs on hold today at a big granite sale. They called them Fantasy or Astoria. I think they look a lot like Kashmir White or Bianco Romano or even White Cloud. Are all those names for the same granite? It's so confusing!

I decided to go with granite for my rustic lodgy modern kitchen because I wasn't finding any quartz I liked. So...will my granite choice go well with knotty alder cabinets, stainless steel appliances and possibly oil rubbed bronze pulls?

Does anyone have a combo like this? If so, could you post pics?

Comments (12)

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Are you doing a darker stain? That would be beautiful. I looked up Astoria and it's really pretty and would be nice with a medium to dark stain. Especially if it has a little red in the stain at least according to the slab I viewed. As far as pulls either brushed nickle to go with your stainless appliances or oil rubbed bronze for accent would look good. Good luck and if you can post a photo of your slab and door color! It would be fun to see : )

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, cabinets will have a medium to dark stain. Floors are handscraped teak hardwood so they have lots of color variation. Any backsplash ideas with Astoria?

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I don't have backsplash ideas but I know that Kashmir White and Bianco Romano are not the same.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I agree names can be so confusing.
    Too bad you did not get a picture of those slabs with
    your door.

: (

A pictures can confirm how fantastic it will look. I think
    you are on the right track. Here are a few of what I have.
    Maybe they can help you.
    ~boxer

fantasy

fantasy

fantasy

fantasy

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxerpups - thank you for finding those pics - I have often noticed as I've been lurking that you find the most amazing pictures! I love the first kitchen. The photo of the Fantasy granite looks just like the slabs I have on hold. I took pics with my phone but can't figure out how to get them on my computer since I've never done that and it's not a smartphone (lol, like I'd know even if it was).

I wonder if the granite will give me a more traditional look rather than rustic modern. Maybe I'll have to find a more modern backsplash.

One more question not related to the granite choice...are the free stainless sinks granite installers offer with purchase any good or should I tell them to forget it and get my own sink? I don't know the brand but it's an 18 gauge single bowl sink measuring 31 1/2" x 18 1/2" x 10". The model number is #MS-3118-A.

Also, I want to do ORB pulls. And my lighting is ORB. My applances are stainless. Would it look funny to do an ORB faucet with a stainless sink?

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Bianco Romano:

Kashmir White:

Super White:

White Princess (I think it's a quartzite)

White Quartzite (there are other names but this is what my place called it)

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Hi jkoebnick,

What brand of sink do the installers use?
    My installers used Oliveri and I love that brand.
    Do you know how they are going to install your sink?
    And granite?

What about edge type? Template? Can you choose your
    template? The seams placement?

Too many questions?
    Forgive me. Below is a link that might help with learning
    about your installation/fabrication.

~boxer

Some imnages...

Sink installation

How seams are held together when drying

Ugly seam

A pretty seam.

Did you see the seam above? That is because the pattern
    in the slab of stone was matched to the next section.
    Truly pretty.

Here is my countertop seam.

Now some edges...

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Advice from GW post

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I looked up the sink model number and it is a Madeli. #MS-3118-A. I am not sure how they will install the granite. I think they are pretty reputable - Affordable Granite and Stone. They said after the measure, they will do a CAD drawing. And prior to the fabrication, they will have me come in to approve everything -- they will mark off where the countertops will be on the granite. They told me I'd probably have 2 seams on my perimeter counters and none on the island. The eased edge is standard. I think I do like that one.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Sounds good, glad you are ready for new counters. Enjoy

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

@jkoebnick' did you end up getting the Astoria? We just picked that granite today and the fabricator will start on it tomorrow. If you did get it, please post pictures! Also, share what you decided for back splash. Thanks!

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did go with the Astoria! I am so excited! Our cabinet-maker is starting on the cabinets today and he said they will be installed the week of Feb. 20. It is all coming together. I still have no ideas for a backsplash. When I took a sample of the granite to the tile showrooms, slate looked really good with it but I am not as much of a slate fan as my husband. I wonder if I could somehow do slate and something else?

• pneff
    12 years ago

Hi, did you have the Astoria granite installed. If so, could you please post pictures? I just picked out my cabinets (light cherry stain) and my kitchen designer recommended Astoria and juparana vyara. I would love to see your Astoria granite to help me visualize.