12 years ago

Same stone? 2 different names?

I think so. Can someone verify this?

Thanks

Bee

Comments (13)

• cjc123
    12 years ago

Same info from me... 2 years ago the white fantasy was not available in my area (MA/RI) but was told it was the same as Super White - which I did purchase. I have checked a few times and always seemed to find the White Fantasy was abit more vainy where Super White a bit more like ice chunks. I think it simply depends of the slabs they are bring out of the ground . Three months after my slabs were marked the next batch was much greyer. I still LOVE my super white!

• aokat15
    12 years ago

I'm in OH and my countertops are Donna Sandra marble, but it looks just like Super White/White Fantasy! I think there are lots of different names and even granite/marble differences but basically the same look. Good luck!

• bodhi
    12 years ago

After seeing some pictures of Super White here on GW I've been searching around for some slabs. One place I looked at called it all 4 of these names: Brazilian Arabescato Quartzite, Super White Quartzite, Donna Maria, and White Fantasy.

Hope that helps.

Since we're on the subject. Anybody have any good info on how durable Quartzite is as compared to Granite? From what I've been told these rocks are on a spectrum of toughness and the Quartzite falls closer to actual granite but much less susceptible to stain/etching than marble. Anybody out there have experience with this whiter granite/quartzite?

Are most whiter granites going to have some calcium (or whatever the stuff is that makes marble react with acid) in them and be more porous and thus more prone to damage than darker granite?

Thanks!

• cjc123
    12 years ago

I have had polished Super White "quartzite" "dolomite" "granite" (LOL) for about 2 years. When it first went in I had 3 little spots show up from spills that looked etched. I freeked out - after about 4 months they vanished! The only thing that has happened perminently is a house sitter dragged "something" across the island and scratched/etched a line 1 inch wide and 12 + inches long. It is still obvious to me at an angle, no one else notices it. We were realllllly careful the first year. Then I let up on the worry and it has all worked out super. We always wipe up any spill right away, am still careful with acids, vinegars, sauces. We use a homemade mixture of dish soap and water in a spray bottle to clean them a few times a day. Every other day I take a cloth with boiling water on it and wipe the island/counters down. Like I said I was worried the first few months but like a new car, once the first few things happen you learn to loosen up and enjoy what we worked so hard to get. Hope you can find some slabs you like! :-)
    ps - If you have young children - it is a wonderful play area for playing with toy animals, barbies, GI Joes - think icebergs, frozen lakes, artic adventures...

• kitschykitch
    12 years ago

Goodness, and I thought lipstick colors had silly names!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Moon Night is the same or very close to Superwhite as well. If you hunt around, our poster named Slush used Moon Night, sometime this past summer I think. It remains a favorite GW kitchen for me.

I was told by my stone yard that Moon Night Quartzite was a harder stone than most granite. The three fabricators I chose bid it significantly higher than granite to cut/prepare it, and that was one of many reasons I did not use it.

• kstuy
    12 years ago

Bodhi - I have White Macuba Quartzite. It is great. It does not stain and/or etch like marble does. In my experience it is very similar to granite. Major difference is the price. My piece was probably almost double the price of granite. I couldn't find a granite that was light enough for what I wanted. I've been extremely happy with the quartzite.

• erinct
    12 years ago

Yes, we were also told it is the same stone and found it at two places in CT under the different names. We've been using it daily for a few weeks now and it seems very durable. I had tested a piece before we purchased it (left lemon wedge and red wine on it over night, among other things) and we had no etching or staining issues. I'm hoping to post pictures this week if you want to see it in another kitchen (and I used all chrome faucets (Moen reflex technology) and knobs -- I think you posted about that separately -- and they are super easy to keep looking clean). HTH!!

• bodhi
    12 years ago

I'd love to see more pictures of kitchens with this granite! We're still trying to figure out how offwhite our white should be . . . stupid 10,000 kinds of white! Going to look at slabs tomorrow I think.

• cjc123
    12 years ago

one slab

From Kitchen before and after

installed
    From Kitchen before and after

ask for a sample from the granite yard. :)

• bodhi
    12 years ago

I went to 3 different granite places yesterday and was able see only one slab of super white. We did really like it though and they are bringing in more slabs for us to view before we make any commitment. I was a bit surprised how hard it was to find this beautiful granite though.

One place had it, but only one slab we could see. They seemed to have tons of everything else.

A second place didn't have it and said they don't carry it and didn't have a source to get it from.

A third place said they used to carry it but stopped because it cost them too much due to them having to replace too many slabs after fabricators broke them. They said this granite is very tricky to fabricate and can break easily. I asked if it breaks once installed too because it is more fragile than other granite, but he said no, it breaks during fabrication because it is much harder than other granites and if the fabricator doesn't slow the saw down it can chip/break during fabrication.

Maybe it seems rare because of the difficulty in fabrication? I thought if it was just a rare(short supply) granite it would be costly, but it was middle priced at a "D" range instead of "H" as I would expect for a really rare granite. I don't really understand granite pricing and why actual $ amounts are such a huge secret, so I might be totally wrong here. Perhaps even though its a "D" price a fabricator will still upcharge you since its "hard to work with".

• jo666
    11 years ago

I'm looking at super white. They told me it was travertine, not granite and not marble. I researched a little and it wasn't suggested for a countertop... I'm wondering how it has held up from those that have had it.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz