Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
altagirl_gw

Chrome or Polished Nickel kitchen faucet? Help!

altagirl
14 years ago

I'm trying to decide between the Perrin and Rowe bridge faucet in chrome or polished nickel. I LOVE the look of the pn but I'm hesitant to get it because I've heard that it tarnishes. Does anyone have it? Would you get it again?

Comments (18)

• swickbb
    14 years ago

I you don't care about the nightmare of keeping polished nickel clean and free of fingerprints and every splash there is, it's a nice look. I'm so happy with my chrome faucet because I don't have that problem. But the PN in the bathrooms, UGH!

• annes_arbor
    14 years ago

I don't know about tarnishing, but to my mind the real problem with PN is that it is so easily etched. A workman touched mine with drywall mud and that etched it in a number of places--subtle but noticeable to me. I wish I had gone with chrome.

• ajard
    14 years ago

altagirl what did you decide to do

• altagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ajard- i went with the pn. i just love the look of it so much that i'll probably polish it all the time anyway. i just exchanged the pn flange for the chrome, though. it all gets installed next week, i'll let you know how it goes.

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

I have the PN Perrin & Rowe and it etched right away. I think we got sealer on it. But, I love it and the polished nickel is so pretty. I'm sure the chrome is too so whatever you decide, it will be great. Follow your heart. Last thing you want to do is look at it every day and wish you would have done the opposite. In the big scheme of things. Is it that much of a price difference for chrome? I didn't know that until I saw you guys say it.

• tanders
    14 years ago

Can anyone post pictures of what this etching looks like?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Hi,
    link to the polish recommended by Kingston Brass for maintaining the polished nickel. This is what Restoration Hardware recommends as well.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Brass ProTech Cleaner

• clax66
    14 years ago

I have the P&R bridge faucet in "satin" finish. I don't know if that's the same as "brushed".

I don't have any problems with etching or tarnishing. I do like how it looks and I like that there seems to less water marks and fingerprints than I've found with chrome in the past.

• pirula
    14 years ago

I've found that Wenol (available at WIlliam Sonoma) has done a great job of removing the few stains I get on my polished nickel. Leaving it all gleaming good as new. I've not had any etching.

• judydel
    14 years ago

dotcomgone recently published a thread on this subject. Dot was scrubbing a pan with BarKeeper's Friend and it splashed the nickel faucet leaving permanent marks. Be careful : )

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0218421024963.html

• ajard
    14 years ago

clax66, the satin is apparently much more durable in that etches and spots dont show, but I love the pn, it had a very different look. I have to make a decsion since my cabinets are inset with exposed hinges and I want to do them in pn if that is what I am going to do..

• judydel
    14 years ago

ajard we have polished nicked exposed barrel hinges with inset cabinets and we have a chrome faucet with chrome hardware (and SS appliances). It looks fine together.

[IMG]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/JudyDel/uppers.jpg[/IMG]

• altagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, my faucet is in and I've been using it for about 2 weeks. I polished it with Flitz was as was recommended by Rohle before we used it for the first time. It has been a pleasure to keep clean! I just wipe it down with a micro fiber cloth after I use it just like I did with my old chrome faucet and I haven't had any tarnishing or finger prints at all. I'm so happy I went with the pn, it looks beautiful!

• ajard
    14 years ago

Oh yeah.. thank you for the follow up. I did order the country faucet from Rohl in PN.. but dont have it yet.. My cabs are due in week of April 19th

• altagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ajard- get the flitz wax, it's easy to use and really protects it. I had do order mine online, couldn't find it in any local stores.

you are going to love your faucet!

• Sue Fisher
    8 years ago

I am all set to order chrome faucets for my bathrooms and kitchen. I am now on to lighting and it seems its only available in polished nickel. Would the chrome faucets clash with polished nickel lighting?

• Gee B
    2 years ago

Altagirl, your post was some time ago, but since i am in the same debate on PN vs chrome, i would like to know how your polished nickel has held up