Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenellecal

World's Worst Cabinets?- your opinion, pics - long

jenellecal
16 years ago

I think I have the worst RTA cabinets ever. I purposely choose RTA, China made cabinets (I know, my bad). I've had tons of problems with the assembly and not being quite as described. The supplier has indicted that they have been assembled incorrectly. I believe thy are just bad quality. They've been assembled by my DH who's a builder and licensed general contractor. The supplier said that something to the effect that be may be a contractor but can't assemble RTA cabinets. Well aren't RTA's meant to be assembled by joe-blow-homeowner with a hammer, nails and glue. Shouldn't take too much in the way of carpentry experience or skills in my never to be humble opinion. When I first presented the problems and photos to the supplier he said he would send an installer out to make sure they were assembled correctly. I asked that a principle of his company also be present so we could come to a solution on site. He never followed up to schedule the visit and is now saying I "refused" his installer and "demanded" a full refund, I didn't. On the BBB complaint I did ask for a full refund, I never demanded one from him directly in any of our communications. Anyway following are pictures and commentary of the problems. There are so many pics that I'll only post a sampling.

What would you suggest I do?

Complaint for:

Faulty/substandard materials

Misleading/false advertising

As we've been constructing the cabinets we've come across some problems. At first we hoped it was limited to one or two of them but it seems to be more widespread and significant than that. I'm including pictures to help explain what's happening with them.

The most prevalent problem, among all the cabinets assembled, is that the face plate is too large. The front face should slide easily into/onto the assembled cabinet and it's not happening. Either the cabinets were manufactured too wide or the grooves (dados) in the face were cut to narrow. When forced into place the face begins to buckle and bulge away from the cabinet. We've had to lay each cabinet face on a table saw to increase the width of the grooves (dados) in the face plate in order for the cabinets to fit together.

{{gwi:1613805}}

{{gwi:1613807}}

{{gwi:1613809}}

{{gwi:1613811}}

{{gwi:1613813}}

Upon further inspection we found this: These photos show one of the major problems with the cabinet construction (before assembly). It appears the original back was cut to small so a ply piece was installed that was too wide throwing the width of the cabinets all off. This has been a consistent problem.

{{gwi:1613815}}

The next problem, again among most of the cabinets, is that the shelves don't fit. They are all too wide and would need to be trimmed down to fit correctly. The only cabinet that the shelves have fit correctly so far is the corner wall cabinet.

All of these cabinets have the shelves positioned on the shelf clip on one side.

{{gwi:1613817}}

{{gwi:1613818}}

We've had problems with all the drawer fronts bowing away from the drawer construction. This is a problem in that they'll bow out from the cabinet, looking odd as well as have an increased chance of damage from water or spills. Each drawer will need at least three screws drilled into them (from back to front) so they'll stay flat and caulking.

The 2nd picture shows a stuffed blue envelope stuffed down in to the drawer front

{{gwi:1613819}}

{{gwi:1613820}}

There are more problems with the drawers in general. Some of them are not fitting into the cavity. So far this has been a problem with the blind cabinet and the 15" drawer base. The drawers are all too wide and need to

be trimmed down to fit.

This is explained better by looking at the right side of the picture.

{{gwi:1613821}}

Also each drawer has had to be notched in order to fit into the brackets. By placing the assembled drawer into the drawer guides as is, they won't close all the way due to the guides hitting the front of the drawer. By notching the inside front of the drawers they will fit into the guides correctly, allowing the drawer to close properly.

The brackets are designed to fit into the holes you can barely see on the left side picture. When placed properly into those holes the drawers did not operate properly.

The drawers are out of square, again just leading to even more problems overall. The square (tool) should fit flat against the drawer front. Obviously this is not the case.

{{gwi:1613822}}

Two of the cabinets (so far) are so out of square as to be a problem. When the drawers are inserted they close fine on one side but do not close on the other side, leaving a gap several millimeters wide, this will be seen in the photos. The cabinets that are out of square are the blind cabinet and the 15" drawer base.

This needs to be updated: Each of the cabinets installed is out of square. There are still 3 more cabinets to construct including the pantry and oven cabinet.

If you look at the 1st picture (on the left) youll see the drawer is a different distance from the backside of the cabinet. The picture on the right (2nd pic) shows that the right side of the drawer closes flush against the face while the left side of the drawer does not touch the face at all

{{gwi:1613823}}

{{gwi:1613824}}

{{gwi:1613825}}

{{gwi:1613826}}

The finish on the outside of the cabinets is adequate but is very poor on the inside of the doors. It's really not finished at all. More like one coat of flat paint, sometimes a very stingy coat at that. I'll need to repaint the inside of all the doors to protect them from wet hands and typical kitchen use (water drips, spills, etc). Updated to say barely adequate on the outside of the cabinets, in some cases not adequate at all. The t is chipped and cracked on at least one door, has been sanded and "fixed" on another door. There are paint drips down the side of a drawer. The only baked paint technology seems to be the fillers as the door paint would be more even and not cracking.

{{gwi:1613827}}

{{gwi:1613828}}

When I first bought these cabinets it was with the understanding that they were 5/8" thick, as per the FAQ from Kitchen ProÂs website ("What is the product made of? The boxes (carcasses) of the cabinets are 5/8" plywood and the fronts are solid wood Â") (they've since changed that on the website as of 1/31). When I originally visited the office I did so with a tape measure in hand to measure the thickness of the cabinets, it measured 5/8". When I realized they werenÂt 5/8". It wasnÂt until after I took delivery that I realized they werenÂt 5/8" thick. I decided to live with it although I wasnÂt happy about it and thought IÂd been misled. I came to find out that the cabinets werenÂt even ½" thick as stated in another part of their website. For the most part the side walls of the cabinets are 29/64" thick but the backs are only 3/16", framed with 29/64" pieces. This really weakens the strength of the cabinets as a whole.

Cabinet thickness is not consistent on the back side of cabinets. Framed in 29/64" plywood and then faced off with 3/16" laminate piece. ThatÂs not ½" cabinet grade plywood construction

{{gwi:1613829}}

{{gwi:1613830}}

{{gwi:1613831}}

The plywood quality is poor quality, not cabinet grade or even shop grade quality. The ply pieces have too many gaps in them. A screwdriver can fit into some of them, this one shows the end of a zip tie inserted.

{{gwi:1613832}}

{{gwi:1613833}}

Comments (24)

• weissman
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How did you pay for them? If you paid by credit card you should dispute the charge immediately. If not, then you may have to sue to get your money back - I doubt the BBB will get you anything. The pictures alone should be enough to convince a judge that you were sold crap. Do you have a contract with the specifications for the cabinets in it?

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There was no contract, just the specs off of their website that I have printed. I did pay by credit card and have initiated a dispute already.

I don't really expect the BBB to do anything but you never know, some companies are very particular about their ratings and will do the right thing to keep it good.

I should have seen the red flag when I returned the first bunch of cabinets. The solid doors of the honey maple cabinets were several strips of wood glued together creating a striped look. During the exchange I found out these cabinets were not the 5/8" advertised but were spec'd out at 1/2". DH and I agreed that we could live with that since he was assembling and installing, he would just add additional support between the cabinets. But then to have them not even be 1/2 and only 3/16 on the backs, well... Good lesson to follow the gut feeling.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

all I can say is uggh....where on earth did you get these crappy things? A cardboard box would have looked better.

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lmao, that's what DH said.

• auntiebubba
    16 years ago

jenellecal - the owner of Kitchen Pros posted on the ebay thread back in September... I tried to revive the post but it is too old. I took the following off of his September 7, 2007 post.

"RE: Has anyone bought cabinets off Ebay - NEW
    Posted by kitchenspro (My Page) on Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 4:49

Hello everyone,
    My name is Ben and i'm the founder and Co-owner of Kitchen Pro Cabinetry.
    I will be hapy to answer some of your questions and give you some advice about your projects.

You can reach me at my office @ 800-772-3430
    Or just post here :)"

He obviously thought he had a good product back in September since he so freely listed his contact info. Maybe your thread will help you resolve all these poor quality issues with Kitchen Pro?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

If you assembled them, you had the ability to square them up as you tacked them together. The assembly was completely out of the seller's control. You would need to demonstrate that individual components were not cut squarely/properly to begin with, and none of your photos demonstrate that.
    If doors and drawer fronts are warped, you deserve to have them replaced.
    If the finish is substandard, ditto.
    The oversize shelves seem like an easy fix. Better too large than too small! The plywood seems to have the normal amount of voids for good plywood. Void-free stuff is a few steps up.
    BTW, I assembled and finished all of my Conestoga cabinets. There were minor issues, but the savings more than made up for any problems.
    Casey

• carrianne22
    16 years ago

I am sorry for your issues!! But...

I have to tell you...I have a complete kitchen of JSI RTA cabinets (I went through Neighborhoods) and I couldn't be happier!! My contractor had never put together or installed these cabinets before my kitchen but he didn't have any problems at all. I do believe there were minor minor issues but he said, he has had small issues with any cabinets and and nothing he couldn't tweak to fix.

• shappy
    16 years ago

Globalization sucks--corporate profits, inferior garbage for America's consumer. Lots of stuff made in China seems like it's an imitation of what it's really supposed to be--toylike but not for real use -- certainly not for durability.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Eew, yes, you win. You have the world's worst cabinets.

Best of luck with your resolution.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

I dreamed about these cabinets last night!! arrgg. I dreamed that my cabinets came and were dropped off in my yard. They were all in pieces and they told us to assemble them. Once we started we realized they were the wrong things and none of them matched up or assembled correctly. But what's worse is they made us assemble them all because they wouldn't take them back unassembled.

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

They ARE bad!! Hopefully your credit card company will come through in your favor.

Casey, It's hard to assemble something correctly if the pieces don't fit together and if you look at the pictures, they don't!...and RTA furniture of any sort, should not require a table saw to assemble.

• peteinsonj
    16 years ago

Quite frankly, the moment you realized there was a problem -- you should have stopped assembling them and the seller should have been contacted.

But -- not only was assembly of the cabinets completed, they were then installed -- and along the way modifed, too.

Had you stopped, and sent them back early on, you would have likely gotten back your money. However, I don't think you have a chance to get anything back at this point.

To salvage this, you might consider bringing in a good finish carpenter, who could take care of the visible issues, and then ask for replacement doors/etc where there seem to be finish problems.

They are, overall, very attractive cabinets -- and hopefully you can get your kitchen remodel back on track.

/p

• bob_cville
    16 years ago

I'd agree somewhat with this statement:
    If you assembled them, you had the ability to square them up as you tacked them together. The assembly was completely out of the seller's control.

Some ways you can tell where the fault lies for out-of-square issues are:
    If a given board's four edges are not square to each other => manufacturer's fault, period.
    If a drawer box or cabinet body is out of square and the resulting shape is a trapezoid (meaning opposite sides are not exactly the same length) => manufacturer's fault
    If a drawer box or cabinet body is out of square and the resulting shape is a parallelogram (meaning opposite sides are exactly the same length => assembler's fault

With that said, they do seem to not be engineered in a way that would tend to prevent improper assembly, and the precision of some of the cuts (specifically the too-long shelves) seem to point towards loose manufacturing standards and poor quality control.

It may well be that the measurements were originally designed for the thicker boards, and when they switched to thinner boards, things got all wonky. I'm not sure what to suggest, but good luck.

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All very good points.

We had expected to have some minor issues being that they are RTA and were manufactured in China. It's not like we put a full cabinet together (drawers, shelves, etc) cabinet by cabinet, noticed the problems and continued installing.

The timeline was more like. Put the all boxes together, opps the faces plates are too large, OK that's obviously just one of those minor issues that needs to be fixed. Get out the table saw, make the cuts. Bam done. Then attach them to the wall. OK, no problem. Now the base cabinets, same thing, again one of those minor problems, annoying but doable. Ok, put them in place. In the meantime two cabinets needed to be modifed to fit the dishdrawers, no problem, that was planned, they don't sell drawer cabinets for dishdrawers. Put them in place and hmmmm, somethings wrong with the walls maybe, are they that out of plumb? Maybe but the straightedge shows that they are straight. Hmmmm must be another cabinet thing. Seemed like they were out of square (trapazoid shape). OK deal with that, again not optimal but doable. Get the cabinets in and connected to the floor or walls or where ever they get connected too. So let's put the shelves in, opps they don't fit either. No problem, cut them down with a saw and move on to the drawers. They don't fit either, are you kidding me. OK we'll modify this and that to make them fit and close like they are supposed to. And the finish, and the voids in the cabinets and the patched plywood and the fill in the blank.

We were so far along in the process when we realized just how many "minor" issues we were having. They were no longer minor. Quality is definately an issue and should be compensated somehow. Yes, we modified cabinets. Two were by design and those two weren't the problem. Basically DH cut off the top two drawers of a 24" drawer base and added a new cabinet around it so the dishdrawer would fit into the space and we could utilize a drawer beneath it. The other cabinets that were modified were out of necessity, to correct all the problems we encountered along the way. It was only when we began to add up all the problems that we realized just how many bad these truley were.

When I contacted one of the owners he seemed concerned and did offer to send someone out to look at them, when would be a good time for us? I let him know that our schedule was open and to please let me know when I could expect them, he never contacted me after that. At that point I began actively looking for issues, took pictures and emailed them to the owner and let him know that I just didn't think that ALL the problems could be flaws in assembly.

This is an email I sent to him

Here is another set of pictures. As far as flaws in the assembly goes I just don't see it as possible. The pictures really do speak for themselves in that respect. It seems like I got a really, really funky set of cabinets.

This is the last email I sent out to him

As we get deeper into these cabinets and continue to find new and interesting issues (like the sink cabinet bowing not allowing the sink to fit due to the bottom and back being too narrow), that it might be a good idea if you or one of the partners were to accompany the installer up here to inspect the cabinets. Since it is a quality problem it may be a good idea to have a first hand look at them yourselves in order to relay the information back to the manufacturer if necessary.

He apparently took this as a refusal to have someone come out. I've been very polite in the process and never made any demands on them until the BBB report. I'm very annoyed that they completely ignored me after the initial contact.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

jenellecel,
    so sorry for your headache. I'm currently looking into RTA cabinets. Which brand are these? The few that I'm currently looking at are Woodcraft Industries, ones from Bulkcabinets.com, and IKEA. My problem with IKEA is I'm not completely delighted with the door choices. I know Scherrs can do the doors but then I start getting pricier. I'd love some suggestions from anyone. Thanks.

• Debbie Downer
    16 years ago

In response to above poster's comments-- you know, whatever can be assembled... can also be disassembled. And returned. Faulty merchandise is faulty merchandise. The IKEA "as is" department is full of stuff that was put together and wasn't up to snuff. Not exactly an unheard of concept (although of course documenting as you've done is a good thing to do. You might want to get a statement from a professional cabinet builder to add to your collection of "evidence.")

I'd be plenty p.o.'ed. Maybe engage in the song and dance a little bit (document everything in detail, every communication--you want to be able to show that you made a good faith effort to let them make it right) and then see what you can do by working w/ your credit card co. I remember contesting a charge on my credit card once - my acct. was credited and then it was up to the vendor to prove they weren't at fault and they just never did.

Good luck! What a drag to have to take on another huge project when you want to be finishing your kitchen i.e. fighting for consumer justice.

• green-zeus
    16 years ago

Just another testamony on the Hong Kong horrors being foisted upon us. I would eat on the floor before I would buy cabinets from China--just my opinion. All furniture and cabintry I've seen from China is junk.

In fact, I'm so disgusted with almost everything from China that it's my personal mission to buy nothing that's made there. Sometimes that's impossible--but if there's an option, I'll pay more just to avoid their products.

The only thing that should be made in China, are Chinese.

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The name on the boxes was J&K. If you're going to buy RTA make sure they're American made. Maybe even look into the unfinished furniture stores. It wouldn't have been much more than what I paid with a lot less headache.

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The name on the boxes was J&K. If you're going to buy RTA make sure they're American made. Maybe even look into the unfinished furniture stores. It wouldn't have been much more than what I paid with a lot less headache.

• leesi
    16 years ago

Were those the vanilla glazed maple (luxury series) from
    Kitchen Pro?

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, they are the cream maple.

• collinsuncle
    16 years ago

I bought cabinets from this same guy and you are not imagining it, these are poor quality. I had many of the same issues plus I had damage to the finish. I brought out a custom cabinet builder/refinisher to see if they were repairable and his professional opinion is that the cabinets have been exposed to too many variables in humidity that is why there is so much bowing, shrinking, warping,separating, etc. In my case the finish actually bled onto the styrofoam packaging material leaving marks all over the finish. The replacements they sent had the same problems so I asked for a refund and told them to come get their cabinets. Like you I had assembled the cabinets that weren't damaged on the promise that the damaged ones would be replaced. Mind you it took 2 months to get replacements and they were no better.
    I also want to note that my phone calls and emails were not returned during the 2 months we were waiting on replacement cabinets. Because I am out of state and these items were being shipped I initially ordered one cabinet which my husband now refers to as the "bait cabinet" it was very nice unlike the majority of the other cabinets I later received. I did file a chargeback with my credit card company and Ben fought me every step of the way, even blatantly lied. Fortunately, I smelled a rat early on and saved every email and kept note of every unreturned phone call. I too filed with the bbb, I am the "refusing to adjust" complaint. Ultimately, I won my dispute but not without harrassment. The cabinets sat in our garage for a year waiting to be picked up and I finally donated them to a womens shelter. You may want to run his name through California state contractor license board- search by personnel- you may be surprised by what you find. It may also help to know that KitchenPros is also Lido Kitchens or something like that and Westlake Construction, might want to look up those names too. Good luck, I feel for you. The lesson I learned " if it seems to good to be true, it is"
    I now have pinnacle RTA which I purchased through a local hardware store and I love them!!

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

collinsuncle - please respond if you see this, I would love to discuss this further with you. I've searched the CSLB website under the personnel names and couldn't find them.

Thanks - Jenelle

• debrashaver
    14 years ago

Going to finish up the last of my order from KitchenPros - my island. Very happy with the order. I put them together myself! Only a couple of manufacturer issues that came to light when the drawer hardware ws to be installed. That and the drawers could be at least an inch deeper. Other than that, very pleased. The hardware is German made and very sturdy. The men @ KitchenPros have been very helpful. Checked construction against special order cabinets on display @ Lowes/Home Depot. Much more expensive and not noticeably different!

Debra - Lake Balboa/CA

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone