Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Can I use an OTR mw not over the range?

ncamy
13 years ago

Sorry to repeat a post but I posted this the other day and it is almost rolled off to page four before anyone as answered: Although I've searched and searched I can't seem to find it, but somewhere I know that there is a post where someone built in an OTR Advantium but not over the range. Can anyone out there help me? I am particularly looking for the pictures. This person had built some sort of open platform for it to sit on over her counters. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

We went with this shelf so we could put it as high or low as we want and if it dies, we can change models easily.

Here is a link that might be useful: micro shelf

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I think it's smart to use an OTR mw somewhere NOT over the range, and hook up the vent too!!

Then you get to exhaust whatever smells over there. The toaster oven, old bananas, or whatever. Not everybody likes every smell. In some houses, the layout makes kitchen smells permeate the whole house.

I've been known to promote bathroom exhaust fans that have two grilles. One is down low near the toilet bowl, in the wall. Same principle.

• kaysd
    13 years ago

I know the post you mean, but I can't find it. There is someone on GW who has a kitchen with gorgeous Blue Louise granite counters, and she had mounted an Advantium OTR under the upper cabinet next to her range, instead of above the range. It's a clever idea if you can spare the upper cabinet space, since it lets you have a proper vent hood too.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

They also make Over the Counter microwaves that do not have a vent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Over the Counter Microwaves

• ncamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm trying to come up with a way to get an Advantium. I really want a speedcook/second oven, not necessarily a microwave. The OTR version is still 240 volts and costs about $1000 instead of $2000. The downside is that it will be smaller on the inside and not have the gigantic turntable that a regular Advantium has, but somehow the specs indicate that the cubic space is the same.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I did a little research and found two with photos. This first one isn't the OTR Advantium, but this is beautiful and obviously not a standard depth wall cabinet. If only I had known of GW before we started our kitchen. *sigh*

Lishaana from GW

Then there is this one, which is Glycera's with the Blue Luise granite.

Is this the one you mean? I have to add that her granite backsplash is beyond AMAZING!

• ncamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the idea pics! I don't think I have ever seen those, so no, they aren't the one I was looking for. The one I was looking for was a picture one of our resident KD's had done for a client. I just can't remember who it was. Then there was another which I think was just in the kitchen of a GWer. The second one had posted a picture of the support frame built around the unit to make it look nice and built in rather than just hanging there. Maybe if I can keep this thread going, eventually someone will find it! Thanks so much for looking!!!

• drbeanie2000
    12 years ago

I've seen this one picture, but when I go to glycera's FKB page, I can't do the whole link to the rest of the kitchen, which I would love to do. (Looooooove that backsplash!) Does anyone have an alternate link that works?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glycera's link