Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theutahn

Kraus sink owners - is this defective or normal?

theutahn
9 years ago

We just purchased a Kraus 36" undermount apron front sink and we are thrilled with how it looks overall. But in all 4 corners there are very evident marks from a grinding wheel that were not polished out. Given that most on this forum like the sinks I would think that this is a defect. But we looked at another and it's there as well. We even sent Kraus the photos, and they said because the sinks are handmade it is perfectly normal to see grind marks.

My only basis for comparison is our current Elkay sink - wish has brushed corners just like the rest of the sink and no grinding marks.

We can also get a Kohler Vault sink for around the same price, but we've read reviews of them rusting which is a bit scary.

Can any of the Kraus owners comment as to whether this is present in their sinks?

Comments (22)

• theutahn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another photo:

• theutahn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another corner:

• theutahn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last corner:

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

It's very hard to identify anything in those pictures that would cause me to return the sink.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

The pictures are too close up to get a realistic view of the issues.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I,m having a hard time seeing a problem in your sink. I also have a Kraus 36" apron sink, but with the 60/40 split so I have more corners. It's been installed for about 10 months. I just went and took a look, and don't see anything that I would find bothersome in my corners.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

since you are comparing to your elkay sink---

is the elkay a stamped sink? if it is stamped...there would not be any grinding marks in the corners. the kraus is a welded sink--the welds need to be dressed up so that is how you get some grinding marks. with stamped sinks, the metal gets stretched thinner in the corners whereas with a welded sink. you have full metal thickness or more at the location of the welds.

the grinding marks don't detract from the sink to my eye. certainly not enough to return the sink. assuming you bought the sink to use and not hang on the wall, after a couple of months of babying the sink you will give in and learn to embrace patina anyway.

• lisapoi
    9 years ago

Our Kraus sink does not have the grinding marks, but our corners are much rounder than yours. I would agree with other posters that the marks really do not look bad to my eye.
    We also bought a small prep sink from Houzer that looks good and feels smooth to the fingertips, but when I try to clean it with a cloth, I can feel a very distinctive "grain" in the metal from front to back, and mineral deposits tend to show up in this graining. It bugs me, but the sink was under $100 so I figure I'll just live with it rather than send it back to Amazon.

This post was edited by lisapoi on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 10:01

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

If those tiny grind marks make you think of returning the sink, what will you do when you get your first big scratch? I am concerned that you may not understand that stainless steel sinks scratch, so that over time you will have many scratch marks on your sink. That is the nature of stainless steel. (The first few scratches are the worst. Eventually you'll have enough that they blend into a patina.) A sink grid will help prevent scratches, but you'll still get some, like when a fork falls through the grid tine-side down. Best course of action is to embrace the patina of stainless steel, or choose another sink material.

• theutahn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think there is any need for vitrol in this thread - I merely asked whether this is normal for a stainless sink in this price range since our current Elkay doesn't not have it.

There are some on this forum that have complained that the zero radius sinks (Kohler Vault for one) allow gunk and grit to collect and not be easily cleaned. In the third photo the grinding wheel mark is over 1/16" deep according to my calipers and not very wide. I would think this would make it hard to clean and collect gunk.

Mrs. Nyefnyef - we currently have a stainless sink (8 years) - i can assure you I understand that stainless scratches. Please read my original post.

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, it's normal. In that price range, it's normal.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Well it looks like one crumpled, dented mess to me. Not normal smooth rounded corners. I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking at though or why others would say it looks fine.

Maybe post further back?

Wondering what did it cost?

• eve72
    9 years ago

You can clean it up yourself with a grinder.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Get some gunk in there and you won't notice! :P

Some of those do look a little rough. I'd expect some of that, but maybe not quite that much.

So you do have one corner that has a measurable groove? If it's not installed and you have a place you can look at them, I'd try to find one without it.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

When I was shopping for a sink, I noticed that some of the zero or near-zero radious sinks had what I would consider "rough" looking corners. Some people notice those little inconsistencies more than others, so if it bothers you, I'd just return it and maybe select a sink with larger radius corners. Even if everyone says it's not a defect, if it's a defect in your eyes, that's all that matters.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I really had to stare at those photos to see what you are talking about. I think I can see it, but it is so minor, I would not worry about it.

I have to ask, you mentioned vitriol in this thread? I googled the word and the definition came up as "cruel and bitter criticism"? I do empathize completely with you on the stress as well as the cost of a kitchen renovation. But I think you should relax a bit about the sink.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I would love to know what I'm looking at because it does not look like smoothly rounded radiuses from here. The corners look oddly crushed and crimpled.

• theutahn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snookums, the corners are rounded - but you can see where the seams come together. It was welded and ground, but not smoothed completely. Some of the seams are up to 1/16" deep.

• theutahn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the follow up. I'm going to exchange it and see if I get a better example - if the next is the same I'll just go with the Kohler Vault for the same price (zero radius corners). I'm worried about rusting issues on the Kohler (several reviews have referred to it), but it's the only other sink that will work that we can afford.

Snookums, I can take a picture farther away - but because of the reflective sink my phone just shows the reflection and it's out of focus. These are $450. I'd love to get a Franke or something without flaws but unfortunately those are far out of our budget.

FWIW, I tried an Elkay first. The Elkay showed up damaged and dented, and was rusted in the box. I would have ordered another but it's 3+ weeks out and we need the sink next week. The rest of the project is going well, but the sink is giving us fits.

• User
    8 years ago

I know this thread is a few months old, but I know other members like me will search for this specific sink and want to read as much testimony about it, so with that being said, I have the same sink, and yes it's normal. I actually just noticed it today, and it makes sense that the there would be grinding marks on such tight corners. I don't understand why some people have to be so snarky in their replies. If you can't be nice, don't reply at all. It's just rude.

• westsider40
    8 years ago

once you insert the free grid you will not at all notice anything in the corners. Doesn't bother me either.