Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enigmaquandry

IKEA lagan butcher block countertops?

enigmaquandry
14 years ago

I have been looking at the Ikea lagan butcher block countertops to cover about 30 lineal feet of countertop in our kitchen. They almost seem too good to be true though, and I'm wondering if there is a catch with maybe splitting or warping or germs??? Does anyone have pics/experience with these? I've found some info on the Numerar (also interested, but over twice the cost! Worth it??) but not really on the thinner Lagan ones.

Is Waterlox something Ikea has available?

Do you just go to Ikea and pick up these countertop pieces? (it's three hours away so I need to know if I need to order them or something)

Thank you so much!

Comments (7)

• jenswrens
    14 years ago

Lagan is the new name for the old Pronomen. These are the counters I have in my NJ kitchen. No splitting, germs (? lol, funny), whatever. As with almost any bb, it will warp if you don't properly store/acclimate it prior to install or if you don't finish it with something. Do a search here for IKEA BB countertops - you should find plenty of hits.

Waterlox is available from the Waterlox website; also available at some local places - you'll have to call around. IKEA does not have it and is not affiliated with Waterlox.

Yes, you just go to IKEA to the Kitchens department and order - then pick up right there and then in the Furniture Pick-Up and take them with you. If you need, you can also arrange for home delivery, but I've never done that so I can't comment on that.

Here is a link that might be useful: One IKEA BB thread with pics

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Please, pardon me for the thread hijack--

Hi Jen,

Good to *see* you! Did you get your doors yet? I am FINALLY going to do it! I wanted to wait until after Christmas for the usual reasons--also we got a new computer, and ALL my measurements are on my old one. I haven't had a chance to transfer files, and it is now all disconnected. I am a nervous Nellie about this ordering process, though! LOL! Did you use their form or do one of your own and email it? Also, did you have them paint/finish the doors for you? I look forward to hearing about your experience and to seeing your kitchen!

~Shel

• catkin
    14 years ago

Check out globalindustrial.com and search for *work bench top*. They sell some nice ones (maple) for reasonable prices--even have a choice between a safety (bull nose) and a square edge. They're 1-3/4" thick. They come with a light mineral oil finish and the back edge can be cut to fit a counter top depth, if need be, with a skill saw.
    HTH

• jenswrens
    14 years ago

Hi shelayne! A couple of snafu's with the order, but I got my doors/drawers just yesterday. Email me at jenswrens at yahoo dot com or PM me over on Ikeafans and I'll give you the sordid details. Especially before you go with those measurements. Beautiful, but... :-)

• rnest44
    14 years ago

OP, Ikea also makes the Numerar line. You might want to check that out and compare it to the Lagan.

Catkin, have you ordered from that website you referenced? Product and price look good but freight wasn't cheap.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that lagan is thinner than the pronomen was. Numerar is the thickest. Personally, given how inexpensive they are, I'd spring for Numerar.

• catkin
    14 years ago

No but I'm considering 30 x 48" maple top for a stretch of counter top...
    I think I'd just have to bite the bullet on the freight...it would be so lovely finished that's how I justify it!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!