Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennyandretti

tah-dah!! the wait is over! thanks for the advice!

jennyandretti
16 years ago

Here it is: after only 6 months, 1 week, and 2 days, bliss at last.

HOORAY!!

Comments (27)

• amck2
    16 years ago

Absolutely charming space! Looking forward to reading details - Congratulations!

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

Great space, it looks very cozy and comfortable. I love the exposed brick walls.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Love it! Homey and functional. Wish I'd had the courage to do a brick backsplash.

OK- how about details--and before pictures!

• rosie
    16 years ago

Very charming good job! Tell us about your brick; I like that it runs down the whole wall.

• sail_away
    16 years ago

Nice job. I like your floor, too. I also would like to see before pictures, if you have them. It looks like you've done a lot of work.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

good job! Looks like you managed to get it all in there even though it's not a huge space!

Love your pendants! Please tell me about those if you can.

• kgsmom
    16 years ago

beautiful! love the brick- congrats!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Oh, I noticed the soffit. Is that beadboard? The whole kitchen looks lovely.

Congrats!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

As all the others. Love the brick. And is that soapstone around the sink?

• marthavila
    16 years ago

What an absolutely friendly, believable, usable kitchen! Good job!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Very charming and cozy--looks like it fits in perfectly!

• scootermom
    16 years ago

Tah-dah indeed! Very charming kitchen -- warm and bright at the same time.

A few questions...Can you tell us more about what's above and below the wall oven? Is that a warming drawer below and...what's that above? And what's on the countertop next to the cooktop, over in the corner...it looks like a silvery metallic circle...is that just a pot lid, or something else?

And at the end of the island near the door, it looks like something is peeking out just under the end of the countertop...is that a pullout shelf or cutting board?

And lastly...did you choose all the colors and styles yourself? I love it! Simple, yet tasteful and distinctive. A lot of classic elements. Nice!

• debsinthepink
    16 years ago

Ship Shape! Reminds me of an old wooden yacht, must be the clean lines, beautiful wood and bead board. What size is your kitchen space? What is on the other side of your island? Would love to hear the details. Nicely done!

• plllog
    16 years ago

Lovely!

Please tell, is that a trivet or lid on the counter in the corner? Or is it something else?

• Buehl
    16 years ago

It looks great! I love the brick and how you handled the soffit...if you can't get rid of it, make it a decorative element!

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Beautiful! Can you tell me the name of your wall color? At least on my monitor it looks like a very nice shade of light green.

• jennyandretti
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to start this story backwards:

The following photo shows the going back to the nubs stage. I'm showing this first since I'm committed to staying at home and we needed to find a way to a bigger kitchen without an addition. In our township, the beaucoup bucks needed just to bust down an outside wall and go from there get exponential. We took out a pantry for more open space and yes, I too questioned my sanity. In practice, the pantry was a pain to run to for things: the old kitchen lacked so much storage space that frequent trips were mandatory. My second reason for losing the pantry was that precious space was taken just to walk into the darn place. Light was also a problem (pendants: Pottery Barn Kids) so we put in a larger window.

This photo shows the old pantry wall. I love (really) that old red paper.

Here's the old kitchen. Dark wood, not a lot of sunlight, traffic flow a problem, and just not enough space to cook, eat, etc.

This view shows the wall between the kitchen and dining room. In antoher time , I guess it was "fancy" to do all the dirty cooking behind a wall and have a formal dining room. I prefer to let it all show.

In the new kitchen, those drawers beside the sink are just that: drawers, except for the bottom one. The top two are for sink acessories and the bottom one is "cut out" on the side facing the door and fitted with a basket. It is our shoe drop. Four kids, ya gotta have a shoe drop.

That is soapstone around the sink and I love, love, love it. The oiling is a pleasure to do since it gives that marbling effect real pop.

The two mystery spaces on the back counter are a recycling bin (pull-out basket) and a compost bin. I could only find countertop compost bins, so I wanted this kind to get it out of the way. It's only a stockpot with the lid reversed.

The top oven is a Miele steam oven - that story later, it's preschool pick-up time!

• divamum
    16 years ago

WOW. I think your space is actually not disimilar to ours (although I think yours is a bit bigger) and that layout with the island was my dream! Unfortunately, with only 9ft of width and door/window placement and a flight of stairs to accommodate we couldn't do it, but I totally love what you have done!

Congrats - it's beautiful.

• jennyandretti
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To continue :

Yep, that's beadboard on the soffit. A wastepipe runs there, so we just made it pretty. The wood floors in the dining room existed, and the wood floor guy was amazing to watch as he toothed in the one on the kitchen. He made it look easy. We had help with the general overall design of the kitchen, but I changed a LOT and did it before the wall came down. If I had one piece of advice to give on a project like this, it would be to plan, plan, plan it out and sit on it for a while. That way, any thoughts that pop up or ideas that you get will be free, and you won't have to stop progress.

On the colors: my husband is the color guy. His feminine side shines through on this project. He came up with the brick idea and I shot it down immediately. I said that the white cabinets and bigger window would be all for naught with that cigar bar brick on the wall. Then he let me calm down on good long run and patiently explained why brick was going to be great. It is brand new thin brick and as soon as it went up I knew he was right (again, darn it). Neighbors that walk by our front window mention how cozy it looks from the outside. He also went with the light green, that I of course thought would be awful. And it looks wonderful.

Forgot: Yes, that's a warming drawer, and I love it. My husband is a coach and the late dinners go right in there. Big crowds are no problem: just stick the veggies and side dishes or extra pizzas in and they are never too dried out. And there's a proof cycle! If I need the oven at the same time, bread dough goes in the warming drawer. I get the bread in the oven and swap it with a main dish for the w. drawer.

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Very nice!
    I would love to archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog. May I have your permission? If so please submit the Category Checklist below.
    And could you please give us a list of your kitchen details?
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• jennyandretti
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Starpooh: go right on ahead, and thank you!

Here's the shortlist:

GE Monogram wall oven and warming drawer

Bosch counter-depth SxS 'fridge

Thermador 36" cooktop

Best by Broan 36" hood

Eco-friendly:

-floors 50% recycled wood

-home state grown (radius 25 miles) wood for countertops

-built-in compost bin and recycling basket in countertop

-60% cabinets are from our old kitchen

-low-emmision paint used on walls and cabinets

-tung oil used on countertops

• hollylh
    16 years ago

Could you tell us a little more about the compost bin and built-in recycling basket? I am not sure where they are but they sure sound like great ideas...thanks!! Great job! I LOVE the brick, all your materials choices, appliances, colors. My husband is color blind, so here it's all up to me, LOL...

• chris_5
    16 years ago

This looks great. I would love to see a photo of where the soapstone meets the butcher block as we'd like to do a similar counter. Nice job.

• jennyandretti
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the seam. The resolution on our camera is not good, so this picture won't show much detail. The wood counter is a half-inch higher than the soapstone and sealed against water and debris.

Here's my pride and joy: the compost bin. As a tree-hugging eco-crazy person, I compost everything I possibly can. This makes it so much easier. I used to have compost ready for the pile out in the backyard laying all over our counters in bags or bowls or whatever was handy. In the summer, fruitflies would at least once, maybe twice sneak in, attracted to the rot. Once they decided that fresh fruit on the counters (good marketing towards the kids) looked OK too, it was war. I tried air-locked containers, but they were a pain since the air-lock was too tough in the midst of slippery wet peels. Taking it out to the compost pile right away was inefficient. So, the compost bin idea simmered around in my head until we made it reality with this project. As mentioned before, it's just a stock pot with the handle reversed in the lid. Mr. GC thought I was nuts, but thought of this great lid-flipping idea so the counter would be "more flat" for food preparation and plating. He also carved out sides for me to reach the lip of the pot for easy access for lifting out. Now that it's winter, the composting matter can "cook" a bit before heading outside and taking up precious space in the outside composter.

• jennyandretti
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, forgot the recyclig basket on the last post.

The basket itself is from a bicycle shop. It was missing it's frame for a bike and I knew a use for it as soon as I saw it.

It's not too heavy to lift: I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to easily get a recycling container out of a space so far back in the corner. I like having a place to shove all the little stuff to get it off the countertops.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

What color is the paint?

The kitchen and dining area look great. Good job!!

• jennyandretti
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The wall color is Pratt & Lambert's dried moss.