Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linley1_gw

Do you like your enclosed cooktop niche or mantle hood to counter

linley1
16 years ago

I really like the looks of the mantle hoods that go to the counter but I was wondering if it feels confining to cook in a space enclosed on both sides. Also, how many inches of space do you have on each side of your cooktop? I will be getting a 36" induction cooktop and was hoping to get away with either 3" or 6" on each side.

thanks!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• Fori
    16 years ago

I think it's too snug. I have an induction cooktop smooshed against a tall oven cabinet on one side and it's too close. It has the control panel on the side so the cooktop proper is about 6" from the wall. Granted, it's not a classy attractive niche like the one you have pictured, and sometimes it's nice to lean on the oven cabinet while I cook, but, I don't think 6" on each side would be comfortable. I have decent prep area on the other side of my cooktop and I need it.

If you think the skinny bits of counter in front of the mantel's piers are enough prep area, maybe it'll work though. (I still think 6" would be the minimum even so, both functionally and so it looks proper!) Can you mock it up with your current situation? Tape out your borders and see if you're comfortable sticking with them.

You can get away with a little less space with an induction cooktop because you can use it as a work surface (and you won't scald your cabinetry), but you probably don't want to...

Also check the manufacturer's specs. I suspect you can cram that cooktop into a pretty narrow space, but also remember how fun it isn't to clean spatters and steam off of wood walls! At least 6"!

• daki
    16 years ago

I truly love the look, but I do all of my prep next to the cooktop. Having something block my prep area from the cooktop would really bug me.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I think it's very pretty for a kitchen that doesn't get used. I currently have 9" on one side of my cooktop. It's okay for now, mainly because I have a larger run on the other side. I keep my knife block in the 9" section, and I hate it. My knife handles are always greasy.

• sdionnemoore
    16 years ago

Timely topic, linley1. I salivate over the type hoods you have pictures, and have one planned--OY!--so it is particularly interesting to hear these answers.

• plllog
    16 years ago

I think it makes sense if you're putting a range into an old fireplace that is no longer being used to roast a whole ox. But you can even see on the picture, though the lights are on there are shadows across the cooking surface. That would make me nuts! Along with the protrusions into the prep/spoon rest/ bottle set down surface.

It's very pretty, however, and if the most taxing thing being cooked in that kitchen is a bowl of oatmeal it might be worth it :) Or something wider, like Gibby3000's kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog. There's more room on either side of the cooktop, and narrower pillars which double as shelves for cooking ingredients (oil, etc.), which makes it "feel" more open even than it is.

Linley, I think you can get a mantle look by suggesting it, rather than blocking in your stove. For instance, you could use chunky raised corbels that leave you enough room to set down a spoon or set aside a pot on a trivet. Or you could make pillars that only come out a few inches from the wall. Or you can do a floating mantle. Or a rustic hood with a shelf on the front.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

What about a mantel style hood between two standard upper cabs instead of using pillars? Then you get the suggested look without interfering with your prep/counter space?

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I will be doing what plllog suggested...chunky corbels with changes in cabinets and backsplash to give a visual division without invading counter space.

• Fori
    16 years ago

I do like the almost-but-not-quite niche ideas. Just as pretty and a tad more practical.

And now I'm wondering...an induction cooktop is slick and sleek and isn't at all fireplace-ey. I wonder if a full mantel treatment over a flat cooktop might look like you forgot the stove?

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Mine was first designed around an induction cooktop. I needed more large burners, so we'll have a rangetop instead. No real change to the cabinet plan or style. Here's an old rendering with a black cooktop instead of the wider rangetop.

• Fori
    16 years ago

Yes, it does work better with the openish niche. Not quite as fireplacey. Good thing you kept pictures, Rhome!

• plllog
    16 years ago

Fori,

Good point! I've changed my thoughts to a more modern look for my own kitchen to go with induction.

Heck, just plop a cast iron cauldron on it :) Or at least a dutch oven...

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

I like the more open cooking area also. I think it may depend on how
    much space you have.

Rhome...curious about the wood counter next to range, is it built-in?
    Will you chop on it? Thanks!

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

I like it - mine is referenced above. I just knew I wanted this kind of thing though after looking at lots of kitchen pictures. You might want to verify what is required by code where you live. In my case it was 12 inches - which is what I have. I wouldn't want less than that. I like to set all kinds of things next to the cooktop when I'm cooking and I wouldn't want to have to put them on the other side of the cabinetry.

• OllieJane
    16 years ago

I have it and haven't found it confining. We are building again and I will have it again.

linley1, where did you find that pic-I want that kitchen in our next house! I love the creamy cabs instead of white.

• User
    16 years ago

This is one trend that I hope dies a quick death. It is so detrimental to the true functionality and safety of a working kitchen. Far too many people want to cram a niche into their kitchen without the real space to do it right. You need at least 15" on either side of the cooktop before you get to the cabinets for real functionality. Most people don't have the massive kitchen needed to dedicate that much space to a niche. And, done on a smaller scale, it just doesn't have the same visual impact, and doesn't work functionally either. And, if it's not functional and overpowers a small kitchen, why do it?

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

well, as far as dying a quick death goes i think that's pretty harsh. i happen to love the look. i'm doing a niche and i'll have plenty of headroom, in addition to counter space on each side. it's for a 60" range so it won't be small, but neither is the kitchen. i'll post pics when finally done. it's a new build so the whole process is like pulling teeth.

• amylville
    16 years ago

I have it and although I only have 6" on either side, I don't find it confining. I have a 6 burner viking rangetop and I rarely (read never) use all 6 burners, so that space comes in handy as well. Also, I do all my prep on the island. Its personal preference, just like everything else in your kitchen. Do what will work for your lifestyle

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    16 years ago

I too am hoping to go with the style linley has pictured. I have always loved the look of a fireplace and mantle but don't need or have one. This is a way to incorporate the homey feel of a fireplace into my kitchen. I prefer the look of the cabinets coming down to the counter but my second choice would be the corbels like rhome's design. I think that 9 inches on the sides of the cooktop to the cabinets would be the absolute minimum both for safety and convenience. Think about something boiling over and wanting to move it quickly to the side, if all the other burners were full. There wouldn't be room enough for the pot on the side. Obviously, codes are going to dictate the minimum clearance and I think 12 inches would be very good. Also having the cabinets that meet the counter be about half the depth of the counter top should help to keep it from feeling too confining, yet still give the look that you want.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus