Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
footballmom_gw

Help. Appliance confusion

footballmom
9 years ago

I posted earlier about having three ovens in my kitchen and have decided to nix the idea but now I have another dilemma. I have purchased one E-lux single wall oven and have another on hold. They were the 65 series and were floor models that never even had the zip ties take off of the racks. They listed for 2200.00 and I paid 575.00 for each of them. They also come with a 3 year parts warranty and the extended warranty thru Lowe's is discounted due to purchasing more than one appliance.
I was going to have one in a tall appliance cabinet at counter height and one below an induction cooktop. I thought that having one below a cooktop where the vent hood would be would really be smart as it would help vent odors from broiling and smoke from using the oven to finish off things that start on the range top.
My concern is that I am getting negative feedback from a friend and from a realtor . The realtor is important as we are unsure how long we will be in this home.
The neighborhood is one of custom homes ranging from 1300 square feet to 3500 square feet, so we have large families thru retired people in the neighborhood. People are just starting to remodel their kitchens, so there really isn't much to compare as far as what is common in the area. We would probably have one of the nicest kitchens in the neighborhood when it is completed even if I just went with a free standing range, but I am designing it considering both the possibility of us staying here long term and having to sell soon.
There really isn't the option of letting the kitchen go for someone else as it is horrible and it has been difficult to function in it as the current layout is poor as is storage.
I have been encouraged to just stick with a regular double oven in a tall cabinet and place a cooktop in a cabinet with storage under it.
I know the cabinet cost and electrical adds to the cost, but what do you think of the possible set up?
Would you prefer a double oven in a tall cabinet? would you mind having two full sized ovens in different locations?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Gayle

Comments (19)

• crl_
    9 years ago

I think the wall double ovens tend to be at a better height for use and that's one of their advantages compared to a range. How low would the oven under the cooktop end up being? I know people do install them that way but I'm not sure how low the oven has to go to fit under the cooktop. Also, a range oven is usually bigger, I think.

What reason did the realtor give for not liking your proposal?

• footballmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The oven under the cooktop would be where an in range oven is located. There would be a counter height oven in the tall cabinet.
    The realtor feels that a double oven in a tall cabinet is more appealing and looks more high end.
    I have read through threads about single ovens under cooktops and double ovens in tall cabinets. Arguments for single ovens are still having one oven if one stops working and having one under a vent.
    Arguments against are cost, venting out of the oven under the cooktop while standing at the cooktop.
    I must admit, I haven't seen many homes posted with two single ovens. Most have double ovens or double oven ranges.
    I do have the option of not having the two singles as delivery has not happened yet. I have located double wall ovens that I like . One is a Bosch 500 series and the other is an Electrolux.
    I would probable go with an Electrolux induction cooktop either way.
    Thanks for your help

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I would not mind at all what you are considering. That is a great deal on the ovens. After awhile you just get used to things the way they are. It doesn't really sound inconvenient to me.

• huango
    9 years ago

Can you share a layout?

The reason I wanted wall ovens is that DH bakes and I use the induction cooktop, so I didn't want our zones to overlap.
    We're also not moving, so I didn't want to bend down when we're older, or else we would have gotten a range (yes, there's induction top ranges).

Amanda

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

What is a kitchen for? "Looking high end" or cooking? Realtors want a nice big easy commission but that does not necessarily mean they have the best interests in mind of the people who will actually be living there and using the appliances each day.

Double ovens are indeed more popular than two single ovens, but that's not because they're better. Only because they are cheaper and require only one electrical circuit. Multiple single ovens give you redundancy, if a control panel fails you lose only that oven, not both. Having multiple single ovens gives you more flexibility to place them ergonomically. Double ovens are an ergonomic compromise, one is a little too high and one is a little too low. Having 2 single ovens, even with one under the counter and one above, is better than a double because at least one of them will be at a perfect height.

Not to mention you STOLE those Electroluxes... this one is really a no brainer. You have the right idea. Don't listen to the realtor.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Put both ovens in a tall cabinet, one over the other (if you can afford the loss of 30'' of counter space) and use under the cooktop for a pot and pan drawer. Most induction cooktops need so much clearance under them to keep the electronics cool that an oven installed there is much lower than one in a range. And not all ovens are compatible with all cooktops.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

I would not want an undercounter oven - especially one under a cooktop. Under counter ovens are lower to the floor than ovens in a range/stove. We considered one until we saw one installed - the oven handle was just a few short inches off the floor level. (In most ranges/stoves, the main oven's handles are above a drawer or broiler.)

Why especially under a cooktop? Because, as Live_Wire_Oak pointed out, the ovens have to be even lower.

Now, if you and all of your family are short, it might not be an issue. However, I'm 5'10" and it would be a big negative to me. Would it be a deal-breaker? No, b/c you would have at least one oven (the one in the tall cabinet) that I could use. However, I would know that I would have to tear out that oven b/c it would not be used and it would be taking up premium pot & pan storage under the cooktop. So, I would factor that in to my bid for the property - meaning I would offer less b/c I would know I would have to spend additional money fixing what, to me, is a functionality issue.

Some people here are OK with an oven that low - but I don't know their circumstances (their family's height, age/flexibility, other oven options, counter height (taller counters), etc.)

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

I would be happier with the 2 singles no matter how they are placed.

• footballmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I greatly appreciate all of the input. I could place the ovens side by side into tall cabinets. I have 143 inches of wall space to house the fridge and ovens. I have never seen stacked single wall ovens. I agree about the oven being low to the ground if it is placed under a cooktop. I am also limited to either an LG induction or electrolux induction if I place the oven under a cooktop. I am the short one in the family at 5'10" and agree with the bending down thing. I am not getting any younger either.

LWO, have you ever placed single ovens in a stack? I am going to try and post a plan tomorrow.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Sure I've done single ovens in stacks, but they are usually different purposed ovens like an Advantium and a convection oven, or a steam oven and a microwave. I've got a kitchen being installed right now that has two single ovens side by side, then a pantry, then the built in fridge. They have an island in front of that for a landing space though, or we'd have stacked the two ovens and eliminated the pantry. (Separate walk in pantry elsewhere).

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

The enemy of induction units is high heat...this would make me avoid an under-counter oven with an induction cook top over it.

• footballmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have decided to place the two single ovens side by side in tall cabinets along a pantry/fridge wall. I will have to turn and pivot to place things from the oven onto a counter. I have no island. It looks good and I will really not lose any storage as I will have drawers under the ovens and under the cooktop.
    I do have options deciding how high in the cabinets I want the ovens. I have read that the most ergonomic placement is 32 inches from the floor. This makes the drawers along the pantry wall NOT line up.
    The drawers in the pantry cabinets end at counter height or at 36 inches and the drawers in the drawers in the oven cabinets would end at 32 inches.
    All of the kitchen designers I am dealing with, from a kraftmaid dealer, a Medallion dealer, a Shiloh dealer and Brookhaven, have said that I could have cabinets for the ovens that allow the ovens to mount at 36 inches to make it look more pleasing and it really would not affect how functional the ovens are.
    I am concerned that the 4 inch rise of oven height will make it just a little higher than is comfortable. The idea of moving ovens so they look better...I don't want to have to raise a 30lb turkey any higher then I need to. I know a kitchen is to work in, and I usually cook several times a day and my oven is used almost daily.
    Symmetry is important, but not to the exclusion of function. Would you notice the drawers not lined up? would you not purchase a home because of it?
    As kitchen designers, what would you recommend to your clients? What have you done before and how have your clients liked the function?
    LWO, I have tried to picture the single wall ovens stacked. It seems like one would sit really high.
    Thanks,
    Gayle

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Single ovens stacked isn't any higher or lower than a regular double oven. Or a oven under the range. Side by side with the ovens lower than the pantry would bug me visually.

You really need to visit an appliance store and work with their installed products so that you can accurately jusdge ''what you hear on the internet''. There is zero problem with a wall oven being 36'' above the floor. A double oven has the top oven higher, and the bottom oven lower. And it's no problem for millions.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Repost..

This post was edited by hollysprings on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 10:54

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Here's what the tall wall looked like originally, with the standard cabinets. The ovens are at 36" off the floor, which is a fine height.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Here it is after the modifications to unify the wall better, and for the client's wishes.

• footballmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LWO,
    It does improve the looks. Mine will look very similar . The pantry will be to the right of the fridge with the ovens next to the fridge and then a pantry on the other end. It looks great.
    Thank you so much for posting it.
    I went to a couple of appliance stores today and some had the single ovens lower than counter height and some at counter height. My neighbor, who is 5 feet tall went with me. She had no problem with the shorter oven but did not like the one at counter height. I think I will try to go with the counter height placement as it was more comfortable for me and the pantry cabinet drawers on some cabinet lines will keep all of the drawers in alignment.
    Thanks again.
    Gayle

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Just a heads up that you don't want to place the ovens too high. I have double ovens and I think they may have been placed too high b/c when I reach into the top oven the open oven door is at just the right height that a couple of times when I leaned too far forward I brushed a very sensitive part of the female anatomy on the door! Luckily, nothing serious!

My double ovens:

In retrospect, I wouldn't have cared if the bottom drawer of the oven cabinet did not line up with the lower drawer of the cabinet on the left. If it would bother you, consider making the adjacent drawers much deeper so it looks deliberate.

• footballmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Buehl. I think my ovens will be about 6 inches lower than yours. The KD has my wall ovens at counter height with 3 drawers below each of them. The only thing that won't line up is the doors above the fridge. It will be lower than the pantry doors or the doors above the ovens by a few inches. I am O K with that. I wanted to drawers to line up as there are more of them it the off-kilter drawers were much more obvious in the representations so I believe they would be much, much more obvious in real life.
    I am going to make a final decision on plans and cabinet manufacturer this week, so wanted to get it all planned. I kind of put a wrench in plans I already had in my head and partially worked out with the kitchen design people, so I wanted to get it right before I asked for the changes. We originally were going to have double wall ovens and a small dry bar area. Since I purchased the 2 Electrolux single wall ovens, the dry bar is going away. I am fine with that as I have had assurances from this site (thanks to all, esp LWO, Hvtech42, Buehl, Hollysprings, and all of the rest of you) that this will work well. The pictures from LWO just sealed the deal. Thanks again. Now for the induction cooktop purchase...Electrolux or Bosch..maybe a GE..Hmmmm

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz