Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeysucklevine_gw

Will dark countertops make an 8' ceiling room look small & dark?

honeysucklevine
14 years ago

I have a narrow kitchen with an 8 ft. ceiling and I am putting in windows to bring in light. The cabinets are white.

Will dark countertops make the room look small and dark? Will they "cancel out" the light that I am bringing in with the new windows?

Comments (31)

• gmnolen
    14 years ago

We changed out our old, light colored laminate for uba tuba granite and it actually makes the room look larger. I was concerned also, bit as long as you keep your backsplash lighter and wallcolor, you should be okay.

• prill
    14 years ago

I don't think so. I have a small kitchen with 8' ceilings too. The 2 windows I have both have a porch outside, so there's no direct light except the skylight.

I started out wanting to lighten up my kitchen by putting in light granite counters. I ended up with anything but and nothing I ever expected --- soapstone. I think the dark counters look great.

Of course, it will also depend on the other elements you add to your kitchen.

• plllog
    14 years ago

There are no absolutes. It's the total design that matters. How shiny are the dark counters? Do they reflect a lot of light? The floor? The walls? The appliances?

If you do dark counters with white cabinets, it should end up reading light, especially if you don't have black appliances or a dark floor. Light ceilings recede, but light/white ceilings with dark walls actually make the ceiling look lower because the eye stops rising at the end of the walls. Light walls with the same color ceiling, or a tint of the wall color ceiling (i.e., mixed with white) will make the ceiling look highest.

If your counters are matte, like soapstone, you can counteract the horizontal darkness with a light floor, especially a kind of shiny or sparkly one. Not slick, mind you, but reflective. A glossy light wood would work if wood's your thing, or a sparkly tile.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pllog, what would work if the dark countertops have some shine to them?

• User
    14 years ago

We have shiney dark counters (verde peacock) in a small space and I too think it makes the room look larger. And not to contradict plllog because 1. I hate when people do that to me, and 2. I agree it could depend on design, but we have dark floors too and in our kitchen it still looks bigger.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I plan on very light walls, possibly even white walls. If I do dark countertops I will either do light or medium flooring, I am leaning towards light flooring right now. I don't know whether I want matte or shiny countertops or matte or shiny floor yet. I hope Pllog will come back and talk about what works with dark countertops with some shine.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Not at all. Dark tends anchor the white cabinets.

Here are some images....

Compton Ave galley kitchen

From Impish laugh on Photobucket
    {{!gwi}}

historic kitchens

Brown Design

Small White kitchen

Vintage Modernaire hood

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If the dark countertops are shiny instead of matte can still you counteract the horizontal darkness with a lighter floor and do you pick a matte floor in that case or how does it work?

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

prill: gorgeous. love your grey subway tile back splash. I wanted to have a color subway tile and was talked out of it. Darn it.

honeysucklevine: I think most floors lean more towards Non-shine like wood floors, porcelain, other tiles etc. Shiny floors are a bit dated: think marble floors .

and I also have white cabinets and dark granite counters. I like the combination of dark and light. My floors are medium toned porcelain tiles. I have wood floors everywhere else but you might like lighter wood floors for your kitchen.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to say I plan on wood floors, either light or medium.

The pictures don't look too dark, but most of them seem to get more natural light than mine.

• User
    14 years ago

Proper lighting has a lot more to do with whether or not a room looks small and dark rather than the countertop color. One single central light fixture is the worst lighting any room can have. With that type of lighting only, nothing is going to make the room look bright and spacious, even windows. After all, it's only light outdoors for 8-14 hours. The rest of the time it's dark.

Plan for under cabinet lighting and some recessed or track lighting to wash down the front of the cabinets and spotlight your appliances. That will make those dark countertops gleam and make your eye move around the room.

Proper lighting is the difference between "cave" and "cozy".

• plllog
    14 years ago

No DSL. Grrr...

Lukkiirish, please contradict me any time! Your ideas and experience are just as valid, and providing opposing opinions, and figuring out why they're opposed is of the greatest use in getting to the desired result. The dialectic is one of the oldest known organized methods of learning. But since you dislike being contradicted I hope you'll forgive me if I've offended.

In this case, I don't think we diagree, really. By the time I was talking about floors I was looking more at the second part of the question, which was about darkness and maximizing light coming in.

Honey, I had specifically mentioned dark matte counters because they can sometimes feel like they're sucking up light, not just failing to reflect it. With shiny counters, light to medium-light wood floors, white cabinets, light walls and ceilings, I think you've done as much as you can to make it look airy and light, while having some warmth and contrast.

BTW, the reason the dark horizontal surfaces can make the room look bigger is that by dividing the verticals into large sections it fools the eye into thinking there's more there. Especially when the walls blend into the ceilings.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog, so the dark countertops could actually be an asset? In that case perhaps I should plan on dark countertops, since the room is really narrow.

Live_wire, if I do go for dark countertops, I will definitely take your advice and get recessed and undercabinet lighting.

I like this backsplash..but guess what...I can't find it! What do you think of this backsplash with white cabinets and do you happen to know where I can find it?

I don't know if the floor is light or medium but I think everything works because the floor matches a color in the backsplash. I think it would look good with white cabinets, but I am trying not to get my heart set on this particular backsplash because I can't find it and have actually given up looking.

{{!gwi}}

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Those look like mini marble subway tiles. You may need to try a specialty tile place near where you live.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chick, thanks.

Sorry, I forgot to say that I can't find that decorative tile in the middle.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Honeysucklevine,

Your inspiration pic has ceilings far larger than 8 feet.
    I would be happy to post other pics, I just thought you
    were looking for low ceilings.

Here is a co that does tiny marble tile
    http://www.backsplashtile.us/backsplash-tiles-by-style/mini-brick-backsplash-tile.html

~boxerups

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boxerpups, sorry to confuse you, I only posted that picture because I thought Plllog and Live_Wire_Oak were following my thread and might know where I could find that decorative tile. Perhaps I should make it a separate post and cut out the field tile to make it less confusing. Sorry. Posting that turned out to be really confusing.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

gsciencechick, That Big Chill Refrigerator in light blue is going to look great in your kitchen! I can't wait until you are able to buy it. I hope you find it at a great price.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I'm following. Probably in a different time zone. I just woke up. And the picture is gone. I'm not a great resource for sourcing since one can get just about anything near where I live.

But rather than saying I think you should get a dark counter, what I really meant is that you should try for significant contrast between the counter and the cabinets and at least moderate contrast between the cabinets and the floor. That way the eye is led along that horizontal dividing line, maximizing the perception of volume. This effect is enhanced if it's an unbroken line. No apron sink with self edge or contrasting color range breaking it up. Either a cooktop set in where the edge is unbroken, or a range with a top that blends rather than contrasting with the counter. But that's for maximum. I mention it for your information as something to think about. If your heart loves a baby blue range and an oiled soapstone counter, do it!! Maximizing the visual volume is only one consideration, and likely not the most important one, and the lines of cabinetry, backsplash, etc., are still proceeding. And I'm sure your floor will be fine. Especially if the boards run lengthwise. More lines to draw the eye forward rather than up. Even a medium wood floor, if it isn't hopelessly dull, will probably reflect more than a lighter matte tile.

Oh! For your tile, you could try Mission Tile West.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog, I think you just helped me to pick the color range top and how to run the flooring. Thank you!

For the sink I was not planning on getting an apron sink. I am deciding between a white undermount sink or a sink that matches the countertop. Should I pick the sink that matches the countertop? OR does the white sink not break up the horizontal line to matter?

• plllog
    14 years ago

It's the edge that matters most. Get the sink you like!

I'm so happy I could help ;-)

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog, you have been a huge help. I feel so grateful to you. Thanks.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    Plllog, I have given up looking for this particular backsplash which I liked because it had the black in it, so I am going with my default plan, which is a MONOCHROMATIC raised fruit bowl tile backsplash that I found in biscuit or white. The counter will be black stone and the cabinets are neutral white. I will probably frame the fruit bowl tile with black marble to make it the focal point. I will also probably make the field tile the same color as the monochromatic fruit bowl tile, so the backsplash will be only biscuit and black or white and black.

Do you think my backsplash plan sounds like it would look good?

Should I go with biscuit and black backsplash or white and black backsplash?

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I recognized a kitchen in one of your photos, boxerpups. The one labeled Historic Kitchens was done by Neil Kelly, a Portland (Oregon) area high-end design build contractor. There are more - and bigger - photos of this kitchen, plus details in the link below. Kitchen projects 2 & 6 also show white cabinets with dark counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neil Kelly kitchen

• sugar_maple_30
    14 years ago

I really can't add anything new and
    interesting, I can only confirm the
    wonderful advice you already have.

My cabinets are off-white, bone, the
    walls, windows, blinds, doors and
    trim are the same colour as the cabs,
    the counter is a very dark
    brown, and the floors are a medium
    stained oak, running lengthwise. The
    backsplash is Crema Marfil marble, which
    ties the floor and the counter together.
    And the ceilings are 8'.

I think it looks open and airy, and it's
    not a huge space by any means. I really
    love the dark countertop - it's the first
    thing visitors comment on.

Be not afraid!

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Should I go for a white and black backsplash or biscuit and black?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Honeysuckle,

I think your colors sound just fine, with one caveat. A black frame around your raised fruit bowl is going to draw the eye to the frame and compete badly with the bowl. It will also make the eye look more up and down, rather than drawing it along horizontally, but not unmanageably so.

Rather than using black marble for the frame, how about seeing if you can find a white/biscuit marble (or glass!) with a little black veining. Or charcoal veining. Or even gray. In other words, bring the idea of black into it, without the heaviness of it.

The standard way of doing a frame on a monochromatic backsplash is to use the same color tiles in a molding style. It can look like a picture frame, architectural molding (egg and dart, dentil, etc.), or organic (rope, vine, etc.). And there's often a small tile (e.g., pencil) between the frame and the subject (fruit basket) to act as the "matting". This has the advantage of setting off the highlighted area without breaking up the monochrome. If your purpose is exactly to break up the monochrome, do it! I'd just advise doing it a bit more softly.

BTW, see the vault in your inspiration picture? That looks pretty parabolic to me. Which means any noise occurring under it is going to be reflected straight down. That's gotta be one loud kitchen!!

• janicecarolyn
    14 years ago

I have 8' foot ceilings and black pearl, shiny granite.

I put in picture - please keep in mind it's NOT done! But as you can see the cabinets are creamy white. I don't feel that the dark counters or wall make the room dark.

My dark cabinets and poor lighting with the old kitchen felt dark.. but it may have been more about the poor lighting and soffits, a big ugly island soffit...then the color of the cabinets.

But creamy is definately brighter! (Once we recover) We will put up a creamy white subway tile, which will brighten the space as well and add to contrast betwn counter and cab's.

Good luck!

Here is a picture if that helps.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janice, you're kitchen doesn't look dark at all, even with the dark backsplash and dark paint. Thanks.

Plllog, I see what you are saying about competing with the fruit bowl.

Here are 3 backsplash ideas, tell me which is best:

The first idea is to use the monochromatic matte white fruit bowl large decorative tile with matching monochromatic matte white frame, then the rest of the backsplash with glossy white field tile with slightly darker than normal grout to make the grout lines stand out.

The second idea is to use the monochromatic matte white fruit bowl large decorative tile with either matching monochromatic matte white frame or marble frame with grey veins. Then the rest of the backsplash with marble tile with grey veins and grout lines that would match color of the marble and disappear.

A third idea is to have the rest of the kitchen in either glossy white field tile with slightly darker than normal grout or marble with grey veins and matching grout lines that disappear. Then in the area under the hood bounded by the windows have the monochromatic matte white fruit bowl large decorative tile surrounded by black tile taking up the rest of the space to add high contrast (such as tantrum 1 inch or black marble or black granite field tiles).

(There is barely enough room for a 1 inch pencil or a 1 inch field tile like tantrum between a 1 inch frame and decorative fruit bowl and that would bring it to the 30" boundary line exactly with the tiniest of grout lines. I could also use a smaller fruit bowl decorative tile and have a larger space around it to work with. I am not sure what color or material would enhance the design or if the design is better with or without a pencil in between.)

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bumping my own thread. I am hoping Plllog will comment about whether or not dark grout will take away from a decorative tile focal point or enhance it.