Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklebread

Backspash for traditional kitchen

sparklebread
10 years ago

I have pretty much settled on a bisque crackle subway for our kitchen backsplash, but I just love both these mosaics and would appreciate feedback as to whether anyone thinks they could work in my space. The floor will be stained dark and I will do something on the windows-dependent on backsplash selection. Thanks!

Post edited to remove image. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 13:02

Comments (23)

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Meleze mosaic

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 13:03

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bluebell mosaic

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 13:05

• dcward89
    10 years ago

I love, love, love the Meleze mosaic and think it would look wonderful in your kitchen. The Bluebell strikes me as a bit too modern. Beautiful space!

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchen view

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 13:06

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I don't think either is too traditional.

I think the Meleze is pretty and could work, but I don't think it works with the current wall color.

The Bluebell is too overpowering for this room.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Any chance you could post a closeup? How dark are you planning to stain the floor?

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input so far. Here are a few closeups.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ineffablespace- I can paint the walls. Do you think subways throughout and the bluebell as a mosaic above cooktop?

Linelle- The floors will be pretty dark. Matching to the rest of the 25 year old house. I think it is Special Walnut.

• juliet11
    10 years ago

I agree that the Meleze is beautiful and would go well with your granite. (The Bluebell seems too busy with all of the movement in your granite.) The Meleze might go better with a warmer paint color.

I looked up Special Walnut and it looks like more of a medium tone than really dark, which is good because it will have some contrast with the dark island and not show dust as much. I think the current floor color looks nice in your kitchen too.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I think the Melize is very pretty with your granite. I like it on the wall you are displaying it on. That's a very attractive wall of cabinets. It would look beautiful with your glass cabinets. Maybe another area of it above your range surrounded by the same tile without the darker brown flowers or a crackle tile in the same color tone as the backgound of the Melize. The bisque seems like too much contrast with the Melize.

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

another vote here for meleze

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Meleze

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Another gorgeous KW kitchen!!

I can see why you would want something beyond a crackle subway, and your kitchen could handle something more. I like the Meleze too. When I was looking at tiles (I'm in the ABB club, though mine are ordered), I fell in "like" with some of the Pratt & LArsen tiles. I couldn't copy my favorites to post here. One example was in the Motif section, MT-66xC 6x6. It has a mid-brown flower on beige background. It is a smaller pattern than the Meleze.

Once again, I am just offering a suggestion. I liked the tiles with patterns so much that I decided in my next kitchen, I would go with a quiet countertop so I could use a really pretty BS.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Love your kitchen and the Meleze. It's gorgeous and compliments your granite so well. The other is lovely but has a modern vibe that clashes with the feeling of your kitchen.

Good luck! You're almost there.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your compliments and encouragement! I really like the Meleze on the buffet. I feel like it softens the area if that makes sense. Would it look ok if I used that on the buffet area and a crackle beveled subway in the rest of the kitchen? I would love to use an inset of the Meleze above the cooktop, but I think the scale is too large for the space and I am having a terrible time finding a tile that compliments it and works with my cabinets.

Bookworm- The bar in one of our other rooms has a solid black surface with a vertical striped glass backsplash. The blacksplash drives me nuts, but I haven't seen anything I think would work in that room. My stomach did a little flip when I looked up the P&L website- the kind when you find the missing piece. Thanks so much for the inspiration! :-)

• vedazu
    10 years ago

I'm looking at it another way--I like when buffets actually look like one big piece of furniture, not uppers and lowers. I would rather see a piece of painted wood there to make it more like furniture. Save the Meleze for the stove backsplash where you want/need tile.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

Wow! that is a beautiful kitchen. Love the meleze, I vote meleze on the buffet area and the crackle in the rest of the kitchen. Look forward to seeing the end result.

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 9:35

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

Where did you get the meleze? I am working on bathroom plans and looking for an accent tile for the shower.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vedazu- I actually considered beadboard for the back of the buffet, but it didn't look right. Any other suggestions? The Tile company is going to do a mock up of the Meleze in a 24x24 so we can see what it would look like above the cooktop.

RT- Galeria Marble Mosaics, shipped out of Mexico. $122sf plus shipping A local small business carries their line, International Tile and Marble in Virginia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galeria Marble Mosaics

• uponthehilltop
    10 years ago

Wow! Another vote for meleze!
    Can you tell me the dimensions of your buffet? The length of cabinetry from fridge to corner?
    Thanks, and what a GORGEOUS kitchen!

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again for all the advice and compliments. Between the pending back splash selection, windows needing some type of dressing to address the strong sunlight that bakes the back of my house, and the floors needing a sand and stain, I admit to feeling overwhelmed with these finishing touches.

Up- Fridge to corner is 166". Buffet cabinet run which is entire area with granite is 129". Buffet run cabinet break out is 26", 38", 38" 26".

• romy718
    10 years ago

Don't you just love your big drawers? Your kitchen is beautiful. Looking forward to the backsplash mockup!

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

I think the meleze is gorgeous. I have bisque crackle subway tile and I love it. I think using the meleze as a feature and the subway everywhere else would be so pretty.