Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Curious about text in messages

debo_2006
16 years ago

Since I'm usually here in the kitchens forum, I figured this is the best place to post my question for an instant answer.

I've noticed some people write posts or replies containing bold and/or italic text and was wondering how this is done when posting on GW?

I've tried writing my post message in MS Word with the bold options, however, when I cut and paste it in the message area on this forum, it comes out plain (no bold or italic).

I know the answer is out there, because some of you have done this. Anyone care to answer?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (78)

• amck2
    16 years ago

Thanks, Starpooh! I copied, pasted and printed out the message above for reference. Bump!

• starpooh
    16 years ago

This image might make it easier to find the buttons in the HTML Tag Generator:
    {{gwi:2105493}}

btw... I didn't include the underscore because it's not good to underline text on the web.. folks assume anything underlined is a link and will try to click on it. :-)

• plllog
    16 years ago

Cool! Thanks, Starpooh!

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I'll give it a try. Yep, it's working, but taking me a long time to code. It's fun though.

Glad everyone is enjoying this post. Okay, I'm done playing.

Question: Anyone know how to add lists using bullets?

• plllog
    16 years ago

Debi, It's unordered list. Everything with a bullet gets it's own list item code:

<ul>
    <li>item 1</li>
    <li>item 2</li>
    <li>item 3</li>
    <li>item 4</li>
    </ul>

gives:

• item 1

• item 2

• item 3

• item 4

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

plllog
    much appreciated
    thanks

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

Wow. This is ridiculously slow...and fun.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

you can do ordered lists

<ol>

<li>item 1</li>
    <li>item 2</li>
    <li>item 3</li>
    <li>item 4</li>
    </ol>

gives

1. item 1

2. item 2

3. item 3

4. item 4

• logic
    16 years ago

What would really be cool is if IVillage brought this board into the 21st century, allowing posters the options mentioned above, without having to use HTML code. :-)

I wonder what they are waiting forÂ

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

What would really be cool is if IVillage brought this board into the 21st century, allowing posters the options mentioned above, without having to use HTML code. :-)

yeah that was my same thought...... you can't easily find old discussions, you can't easily find threads you've posted in, you can't easily follow a thread and see when something new has been posted. It's just so outdated. It's beyond funny.

• paulines
    16 years ago

starpooh, you're a peach !

Thank you all for your help!

• plllog
    16 years ago

Well, you can get a free bulletin board that has fora, topics, moderator privileges, stickies, and uses BB codes (with buttons) and clickable smilies, on Runboard.com.... You can customize the CSS or use their templates. Did I mention, it's free? (With ads, natch.)

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

gag...runboard....gag..

a company the size of ivillage has plenty of options for built in message boards. On ivillage's main website they have better boards then here already (but even those are pretty crap). Given the fact that they're already serving up plenty of ads which we all view and effectively pay for the site, they should make it work a bit better for us.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

gag...runboard....gag..

a company the size of ivillage has plenty of options for built in message boards. On ivillage's main website they have better boards then here already (but even those are pretty crap). Given the fact that they're already serving up plenty of ads which we all view and effectively pay for the site, they should make it work a bit better for us.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Well, duh :D That's what I was getting at. Runboard has full featured bulletin boards that the hoi polloi can have free for the asking. It's not exactly unheard of code. I've noticed that most communications companies have inferior bulletin board software. GW is the worst :) I think it's weird that they can't even invest in what Runboard is giving away :) Makes 'em look bad.

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

Here's a tip for all you HTML teachers - instead of showing the code with spaces or asterisks and telling people to remove the spaces or asterisks, you can show the actual code you're wanting to show by using the HTML 'example' command. It is xmp. So you putat the beginning, and /xmp> at the end.
    Cool, eh?

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I think we all added a few brain cells today!color=purple>

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

oh Plllog. I couldn't tell if you were seriously suggesting runboard. ROFL. my bad.

weed - thank you!! doesn't work to display code so I'm glad does.

• plllog
    16 years ago

ROFL too, Buffettgirl at your imagery. I had visions of you spitting chips and jumpers as you gagged on Runboard :) Sometimes I forget where I am and say wry things without the smilies. :) I over use smilies to try to keep myself out of trouble :)

Thanks, Weed! And there are also ampersand codes :)

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

oh I'm glad I'm not the only one who tries hard to overuse smilies because dry humor is so hard to convey while typing. frankly, I suck at it. :) so I try to LOL and ;) a lot. Just so everyone knows that half of what I'm saying, I'm laughing while typing it. ...

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Thank you Weed! Yes that's VERY cool!
    This place is truly amazing. Even the teachers can learn new tips. :-)

• wisrose
    16 years ago

bump

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Starpooh---I haven't read all the posts, but if you still want what I typed, feel free to use it...or I can add it if you'd rather.

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

BUMP

• wisrose
    16 years ago

:-)

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

bump to front page..

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

So how do insert a link within you sentence if you have more than one to add to the ?
    TIA

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

to add a link:The name of your link goes here
    so this:
    FKB
    would display like this:
    FKB

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Bumping ... to keep on first couple pages.

With 57 posts already, I really must take the time to copy more of these instructions.
    Thank you to everyone who posted and gave their knowledge.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

This is the template I use for inline links:
    Description

Replace Description with the description of your link
    Replace http://www.XXX.html with the link

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Thanks, Buehl ..... now if I just knew how to create a template! LOL

• Nancy in Mich
    16 years ago

movin on up

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Napagirl, just copy the following into a Notepad file and save it.

Description

Then, when you need to use it, just open the Notepad file, copy the above line into your Message, and

• Replace "http://www.XXX/"; with the link you wish to post and

• Replace "Description" with the description of the link.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I post pics using TinyPics.com; I don't have to have a PhotoBucket account, or anything.

And I just cut and paste the URL; all the coding is done automatically.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Thanks, I wanted to know that stuff too.

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

you guys all ROCK! I have to admit I've always looked at the "fancy" formatting in other GWer's posts and been so impressed while feeling woefully incapable!!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

bump

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I remember many months ago that someone posted how to put animated smileys, etc. in messages but I can't find the post.

Does anyone know how to do this?

• thankurnmo
    15 years ago

I don't know about the smileys, but thanks for bumping this one. I apparently was quite in need of a refresher!

• napagirl
    15 years ago

buehl, I'm going to show my total ignorance here, but where do I find a "Notepad file" so I can save your template?

I've looked under Edit, View, Tools & Help and can't find anything. I do remember seeing something like that once, when I was doing a lot of copy & paste in Word. I'm not very computer savy. Now that I'm retired there's no office staff to help me out, LOL.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Assuming you have a Windows system (as opposed to an Apple/Mac), click on your "Start" Menu and...

Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Notepad

I created a shortcut on my Desktop for Notepad so I don't have to go through the "Start" menu each time. (To create a similar shortcut: Click & hold on Notepad and drag it to your Desktop)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

This was a huge help when I started to post so I'm bumping it again.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

bump

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Anyone know how to insert smileys and animated images?

• clinresga
    15 years ago

bump

• clinresga
    15 years ago

bump

• shelayne
    15 years ago

BUMPEROO size=+3>color="purple">

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

one more little nugget...

if you right click on this page, and choose "view source" it will open up the notepad for this page. you'd be stunned at how much code is involved in this one thread.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

bump

• aliris19
    13 years ago

I am just reeling at how helpful this is. Thank you all. I had no idea. I have a little hesitation learning such old stuff, but apparently it's always-fresh.