Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
well_rooted

Is this how it works at Ikea?

well_rooted
14 years ago

When I look at the Ikea cabinets I see that there is a price that includes doors, base, hardware, etc.

So if I don't want their hardware, but I do want the base and door, do I just pick up the pieces that I want and at the checkout I am only charged for those pieces?

In other words, every component has its own price but for the catalogue and website they list the combined price. Is that correct?

Comments (15)

• well_rooted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should have said box, not base. I just want the box and door.

• sw_in_austin
    14 years ago

Your assumption about the store/catalog/website pricing is exactly right.

You only buy the parts you want. The boxes are one price, the individual doors another price. The drawers are sold separately, as are the drawer fronts (although as I remember in some cases you have to buy drawer fronts in sets; can't remember the details). There are a myriad of other parts priced individually. At the IKEA we used (in Round Rock, Texas) the kitchen staff was helpful and assisted us in figuring out what we needed.

I think if you use the IKEA Kitchen Planner it will generate a parts list for you so you can see the cost of each individual item.

• rosie
    14 years ago

Yup. Each piece has its own price and can be purchased on its own or in its own set of ? (some only come in 2s or 3s, or whatever). You can buy some of their little bags of feet for the boxes, for instance, or set them on 2x4s as my husband and son did.

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

What hardware don't you want? Hinges and drawer glides are a big selling point. Handles and feet don't have to be bought. Interested in what you're doing if don't want glides/hinges. Could be cool. Share?
    Lisa

• momof3kids_pa
    14 years ago

yes, you pay for only what you get. If you really just want the doors and the base cabinet, you would just order those... for example,

just the base:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50049344

just a door:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20085833

• well_rooted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you!! Just what I wanted to hear. Having just returning from my next door neighbour's funeral I needed some good news.

momof3kids, I think I was on the verge of discovering those links. I don't know why I hadn't previously noticed them in the drop down menu. Actually, I think I only found that menu a couple of days ago. There is so much to take in, so much to think about!!!!

lisaslists2000, you are very perceptive. In my search for recycling, trash and composting solutions (love the recent thread on compost buckets) I have my eye on some hardware from Shelves That Slide. I can get doors and put in their hardware. Lots of options to choose from (see link below). Ikea doesn't have much.

Once again, thanks for the quick replies. You really have no idea how much I appreciate them, particularly at this moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelves That Slide

• well_rooted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looking at the links lisalists2000 provided me with (thank you for not pointing out how blind I was), I see that there may be some very good solutions at Ikea afterall.

I will have to do more thinking and more research. I thought I was finally nearly finished.....

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

Links were from momof3kids, lol, not me! Credit where credit is due!
    Lisa

• momof3kids_pa
    14 years ago

here are my ikea trash and recycling pullouts:

inner hidden drawer holds trash bags, etc. my trash "can" fits a 30 gallon trash bag...
    {{!gwi}}

these lift out bins (also from ikea) hold a ton, top is paper...
    {{!gwi}}

bottom is commingle...
    {{!gwi}}

• sw_in_austin
    14 years ago

Also be sure to check out ikeafans.com. Lots of good ideas for modifications, add-ons, etc. there.

For example, we wanted to do an 18-inch trash pull-out, which IKEA says it doesn't have. But by using a a deep drawer at the bottom of an 18-inch base cabinet (with a shallow drawer above) and attaching a base door instead of a drawer front we got just what we wanted. And it works great (I was a little worried it would be too heavy with a big trash can in there but no problem. The IKEA drawer glide hardware is amazing).

• well_rooted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brilliant momof3kids!! The trash recycling thing was getting me a little stressed but I can see that solutions are in sight. (Sorry to not have given you the credit earlier. Sheesh....).

Looking at your bottom pic it looks like your drawers must be 15" deep, and since the deepest drawer is 12" did you use an upper cab door for the drawer cover? I see there is a 15" deep one for 36" wide upper cabs. Looks like you just used two of them. I LOVE it.

Thanks for straightening me out lisalists.

sw_in_austin, what you did is also what I want to do. Thanks also for letting me know that it isn't too heavy. I was thinking that adding the weight of the door would be hard on the sliders.

Now I am off to Ikeafans.

• momof3kids_pa
    14 years ago

yes, well rooted, it is a 24" base cabinet frame with two 15" x 24" upper doors mounted horizontally. I used ikea's samla 12 gallon bins, they fit perfectly....

Here is a link that might be useful: SAMLA 12 gallon bin

• well_rooted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mom... I had actually thought you were using the 15x18" doors. But you used a different one and mounted it horizontally. Smart.

Thanks for letting me know about the name of the bins. I recognize them now, as we use one (with its lid) for a bread keeper. I plan on putting it in a drawer once we get them. Soon.

I am so happy that I asked this question and that all of you took the time to give me the replies that you did. I have a whole new lease on my planning!

• studio460
    14 years ago

Wellrooted:

Thanks for mentioning "Shelves That Slide!" I'm hiding a color laser printer in (what used to be) a linen closet! You saved me!

• well_rooted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

studion460, I am surprised that through my confusion I was able to help someone else!

Yesterday I discovered the same sort of thing at simplehuman.com. They have them in stainless steel and some classy ones with bamboo fronts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplehuman