Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello & Cast Iron Sinks - Not Farm/Apron

Posted by Lauraeds (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 16:57

Hi all -

I've been lurking here for a few years, making notes, printing out photographs of all my favorite kitchens and features -- what a treasure trove of experiences and opinions.

We purchased a great 1930's Georgian style brick home last year, and after some smaller projects, we are ready to tackle the kitchen. It's going to be a massive project - combining an existing kitchen and existing garage into a new space.

I'm sure I'll have some significant questions and inquiries later, but for right now, I'm going to start off with an easy question:

Enameled cast iron sinks -- had one we loved in a previous renovation - a big (33") Kohler, single basin, deep and wide. It was great! I'm not personally a fan of the farm style/apron front sinks, and that seems to be the current trend.

Kohler has a few single basin undermounts that might work (Riverby and Indio), but I wondered if there are any other manufacturers I should be checking out. I've not had luck in my searches.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello & Cast Iron Sinks - Not Farm/Apron

American Standard has a few, but Kohler is the go to vendor for any type of cast iron. If you look at AS, be sure that you don't mistake "Americast" with cast iron. It's totally inferior. Also be aware that modern cast iron without the lead isn't as durable as the older models that you may have experienced in the past. That's a big reason for the popularity of fireclay, which is just a fancy term for "china" sink.

o

Thanks hollysprings. I just checked out AS, and it's not quite what I'm looking for.

My previous sink was Kohler, installed in 2003. While the same style isn't made anymore, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the durability will be the same … I just loved it!!

o

Check out Ceco sinks. We used theirs - I think it was the 754. We love it.

The finish is not as smooth as the Kohler and I liked the look. Plus the drain is toward the center back so it's easier to wash my dog. Yes, I said wash the dog!

photo sink1photo_zps69a1380e.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceco Sinks

o

I love my Kohler 33" Iron Tones Smart Divide. The sink is 9" deep but the divider is only 4.5" high so you can have a single or double sink. It's about a 70/30. I can wash all my largest pans & cookie sheets but still have the option of a divided sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here