Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamsalive_gw

Brookhaven vs. Diamond (Thomasville) Cabinets

dreamsalive
15 years ago

Do you happen to know the difference in quality between Brookhaven cabinets and Diamond cabinets (same as Thomasville, just not sold through HDepot from what I understand)? Please help me understand which is better quality & if it's really noticable. I'll be doing a painted off-white cabinet, maybe with a glaze.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

I can't be sure, but I think I looked at Diamond cabinets at one of the KD showrooms. It was good quality, but Brookhaven blew me away. The cabinets that came into my home are really exquisite! The finish is amazing and seemingly durable.
    Just remember to go with what you like. No one is going to come into your kitchen with the door of the cabinet brand you didn't chose and try and compare them :).

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I thought Brookhaven was better and definitely liked the finishes better. I don't remember the details other than the finish. Brookhaven is made by Woodmode and the construction is similar. The finishing and options give you more in Woodmode. I have both Woodmode and Brookhaven in my kitchen, and while I do notice things like the Woodmode deep drawers have sides that come up full height while the Brookhaven are maybe 2/3 height and the interiors are natural finished maple rather than a melamine, I don't find any difference in quality in terms of their use and function.

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

If you are doing white, there is no comparison to Brookhaven/Wood-Mode. I just posted some pics of our white Brookhaven kitchen on another thread, if you're interested. And I looked at EVERY brand, I think...even local, custom shops. Took me months--my husband thought I lost it, I think!!!

What I liked is that they had SO many options in white cabinets--most companies just have this incredibly Thermofoil-ish bright white or REALLY creamy/beige off-white. I didn't want either and couldn't find any mid-range manufacturer that gave you as many choices as Brookhaven.

Our whole kitchen priced out the same in Brookhaven as it did in Schrock--we got everything you see in my other post for 14K--lots of upgrades, but a basic door style (just remembered the name--Edgemont--cheaper than the even plainer Colony door) and no glaze. Thought the glaze might go out of style and added a significant expense.

No complaints about our Brookhaven at all.
    :)
    Sarah from Albany, NY

• jeanar
    15 years ago

"Cabinet components constructed of furniture-grade particleboard "

And that's why we didn't go with them.

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

SARAH,so good to see you posting again!! I had saved the pic that you posted on the other thread to my favorites a long time ago. A couple of questions please: What color white are your cabinets and what size sink base did you get for your shaw sink? My KD told me that there were two types of Brookhaven farm house sink bases, but I never got to know what the differences were. Everything was secret!! We decided not to go with that KD, but still interested in Brookhaven.

Glad to see you back and can't wait for more pictures of your kitchen. Zoe

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

Zoe--I *think* it was Nordic White. Is that an option? I wanted it to look really white--not creamy--but not be so thermofoil white-ish like some other companies had. The choices in white and the great finish is what drew me to Brookhaven in the first place.

The sink base is a 30" base with a 30" sink in it. It fits nicely with support added in by contractor and some scribing around the sink once it was in place. It had to fit, since I only had room on that wall for the DW to the right of the sink and two lazy susans flanking either end of that run.

It wasn't really a farmhouse sink base--it was modified, I think. My KD said (now this was two years ago) that there really wasn't a base slated for farmhouse sinks as such--especially those as heavy as the Rohl Shaw's fireclay. They may have since added in some type of farmhouse-friendly cabinet to their line--I have no idea.

:)
    Sarah

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Saran and I have the same Brookhaven cabinets -- it is Nordic White. I didn't opt for the farmhousse sink (I love that Shaw's, but DH wasn't sold and I wasn't so sold that I had to sell him on it. LOL). I don't think you can go wrong with Brookhaven -- and agree that they have better options in painted finishes, don't charge you 15-20% more, and they are beautifully done.

• cathwith4
    14 years ago

Sarah from albany -- where did you get your brookhaven cabinets and i can't find the photos you posted.

• Katzy2112
    11 years ago

Hey there guys, new to the site. My wife and I are redoing our kitchen, we live on Long Island. I have been to HD and Lowes along with a few kitchen places. Out budget is not allowing us to go custom with out cabinets. Between Thomasville, Kraftmade, Diamond or Fabuware and thoughts?
    Thanks!!

This post was edited by Katzy2112 on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 15:41

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

For those of you who mentioned you used Brookhaven or Woodmode can you please post a picture of your kitchen in this thread and tell me what door style and color you used.
    I too am thinking of using Brookhaven, mostly because I think I want white cabs. I'm not capable of DIY so Home Depot and places that sell several options are out and here most designers or design build firms use custom which would be great except the paint finish options are not as heavy duty in CA. So I finally found a KD I like and the only option for paint is Woodmore of Brookhaven.

Also can you tell me why you chose Woodmove over Brookhaven or vice versa? Was it price, style, or ?

Thank you!!

• s42mahoney
    8 years ago

Okay, this is a really stupid question maybe, but here it is: what is the difference in quality between Thomasville sold at Home depot, and Brookhaven, sold through our KD? The price difference is jaw dropping, so I need to know what I am buying with Brookhaven to justify. Can anyone shed any light on this?

• hazelwags
    8 years ago

We just got BH cabinets but I never even considered using Home Depot or Lowes. The experience of the KD we used for Brookhaven blew me away. Quality wise, I think BH is much better than what you'd get at the big box stores but that could just be me. Our KD was amazing and worked with us to get what we wanted in our space. The quality of the BH cabinets in the showroom was really good and they seemed much sturdier than the ones at the big box stores or even through other Kitchen Designers. BH has a lot of different options - framed vs frameless (which we got), particleboard vs plywood (we got), tons of different inside features, really solid drawer glides and soft closes, etc. We wanted cherry and their cherry was really nice and much better looking than other lines. Note, we did not look at full custom cabinets and our KD actually told us that there was no need for us to look at their Wood-mode line since we could get exactly what we wanted with BH and spend about 30% less.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz