Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondie859111

I'm in love....but need a suggestion

blondie859111
13 years ago

I finally traveled to the coast to look at the sample cabinet KD ordered for me. It was love at first sight! I was so impressed with the quality of the Crystal cabinets over the Dynasty. So, I am going with the French Villa Arched in cotton white-no glaze- link below but shown in another color.

So, cotton white cabinets, Somerset Country handscraped oak flooring in royal brown, SS appliances- what color to paint the walls???

Here is a link that might be useful: The object of my desire

Comments (81)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Or you could buy plywood and faux paint it like this
    below. Yes, this is plywood painted to look like Marble.
    I know it won't be the same but it will be just as fun.
    ~boxer

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- Wonderful inspiration pictures...Snow White would be proud! Love the arched cabinets, the yellow and blue fabrics...and I really like the yellow backed uppers and the pale blue walls :)

For hardware, the one you couldn't find is the silver version of what I have on my armoire. It comes in two pieces (at least mine did) from a local hardware store. The fancy back plate is one piece and the knob/pull (mine looks like the end of an old fashioned key) is a separate piece. They shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Boxerpups- Great hardware...that first one is totally Snow White :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- I know you've decided to do a U-shape kitchen, instead of an island kitchen. However, if you were going to do something like the white kitchen with blue island...would you use marble/marble look countertops on all the surfaces, or just on the perimeter cabinets and something else on the island?

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Just curious...with all these beautiful 'Snow White' kitchens, you all have me rethinking my island/work table decision...darn it :)

• morgne
    13 years ago

Blondie,

If you end up wanting those green glass bin pulls I know a place you can get them at a discount. My garage! ;)

The used cabinets I bought came with those (Lewis dolan?) green pulls. The dang things are heavy and thick! And now I've got a box of them somewhere taking up space. SIGH. The metal and the knobs that came with them are oil rubbed bronze though and your fantasy kitchen looks a little on the stainless/chrome/silver side.

I'll be carrying them around for all time.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

I almost did not open this thread b/c the title is so non-descriptive :) I am so glad I did.

I LOVE your whole kitchen!! I also need that farmhouse table for my kitchen. Do you have a source for the table?

Also, have you ever thought about doing wing backs at the ends of the table since you are doing a big farmhouse table and have chosen such a pretty fabric and since your kitchen looks like such a nice place to curl up w/ a mug of tea? We're definitely going to be doing the wing backs in our french inspired kitchen- something similar to along these lines w/ better fabric:

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

morgne, thank you! I will keep that in mind.
    lav, I like the marble/marble look all over in a SW kitchen. But I do love the idea of a blue island, like the color shown in the pic that says "Yellow backed upper glass cabinets " above it.
    beagle, I found the table picture on ebay. I really, really love the idea of wingbacks like your picture. It's just beautiful! Thanks for sharing it!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

Glad you like the wing chair idea :)

Thanks for the source on the table. Maybe we'll both get one off ebay and end up with the same table, as long as we aren't bidding against each other, lol.

I think you are going for a very similar feeling kitchen to mine. I am actually sending my cabinet person your cabinet color link b/c we're having issues w/ color selection and finding a "white-ish" color that will go well w/ the marble counters we are doing on the perimeter counters.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh...I LOVE this kitchen! To me, this is definitely a Snow White kitchen :)

{{gwi:1518834}}

• lolab
    13 years ago

I know this isn't the urn shape look you were after, but you have to see this fixture. -- a beautiful pendant with pewter and a little sparkle. Maybe not Snow White-y enough?

http://image.lampsplus.com/is/image/cropped/P0339cropped.fpx?qlt=75&wid=330&hei=330&fit=constrain&fmt=jpeg

Here's a gorgeous urn shape, but a little pricey.

http://www.progresslightingoutlet.com/store/products.aspx?product=P3683-72

Sorry - I haven't figured out how to copy an image and post -- hope the links work!

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lav- love it! I did notice they used an arched lower. I was on a French kitchen designers site the other day, and almost all lowers were arched. I am feeling good about the decision!
    lolab, i LOVE that urn light. LOVE IT! Oh how I wish it was less expensive!
    Just a note about links- If you want to add a link to an image you do not have stored on a photobucket type site, just copy and paste the link in the little box that says "optional link URL" and that will put an active link under your post! You can write a description in "name of the link" box to let folks know what the link is. Example below:
    Thank you for sending such a beautiful light over!

Here is a link that might be useful: lolabs beautiful light

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- I didn't notice the arch, but you're right! I think you made a great choice, too.

Did you see the other laminate post? (That raspberry and tangerine were kind of awful) but I found some very pretty creamy/white and lovely blue for my kitchen.

I was thinking of the creamy white on the perimeter cabinets and the pantry cabinets, with the blue on the island (yes, I might actually go back to an island!) and the laundry area.

There is also a VERY nice Calcutta Marble, if you scroll towards the bottom (not the picture, but the link, by cj) which would be perfect on my sink vanity...in the bathroom with the claw foot tub :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue, creamy/white and marble

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I ORDERED MY CABINETS!!! Whew. I feel better now.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Congratulations! How soon will they be ready? Aren't you excited? :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Boxerpups- Do you have any other pictures, like the first Snow White hardware? I love it, but was looking for something in antique brass...with less green. I checked the website, but couldn't find it. Thank you :)

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

New appliances were delivered today! WOW, they are beautiful- Frigidaire Professional line. It's starting to feel like a house!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- You ordered the cabinets and got the appliances on the same day! That's wonderful :)

When do we get to see pictures? How exciting!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I found this vanity...it seemed very SW to me...what do you think? :)

{{!gwi}}

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- Saw this today and thought of you :)

{{!gwi}}

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

h, that is so beautiful! Thank you for posting it! I absolutely love those chairs.

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

boxerpups, I am 100% sure the picture you posted from Southern Living mag above is the exact same kitchen as muy inspiration pic- but from another angle. Someone mentioned how they must have painted the stripes on the wall using glossy then flat paint. Remember?
    Do you think?

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found instructions on how this was accomplished next to the kitcheh photo"
    "The home owner alternated one paint color with stripes of the same color tinted half formula. (Tip: Any paint retailer can mix this for you.)"
    Dare I try it?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- That paint treatment is beautiful! I think you should go for it :)

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lav, I am thinking of it. Here are theinstructions and the paint color:
    "Wall paint (alternating stripes in full color and half formula): Heaven on Earth (1661) by Benjamin Moore"

Also found the bell/urn lights in the photo but they were very much out of my price range. Found this substitution below for under $150. each in brushed nickel:

Getting there!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- Nice light...I think that's prettier than the original...that leaf pattern on the top is such a nice detail.

Your walls are going to be beautiful! I'm so excited to see things coming together...thanks for the pictures :)

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went to pick up the paint to stripe today but ended up picking up a few testers of Martha Stewart colors instead, because I fell in love with a few. Here's what looks really great- but perhaps a bit bright- MSL Enamelware with MSL Moonglow- a very pale yellow- as an accent: Pictures from homedepot.com

Just not sure if the Enamelware it too much color! But I would not use the striping with this scheme.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- How does the paint look with your cabinets and tiles? Do you have the tiles, yet?

The moonglow looks cream on my monitor, but I'm sure it's a much better shade of pale yellow, in your home. As for the blue (enamelware) it looks great on my monitor.

If your pale yellow, looks like your inspiration photos, it's going to be beautiful!

While I like the stripe, if the enamelware is the right color, why go to all the extra work, for the striping technique? The solid background will be easy to apply (and easy to touch up when necessary) so I think that would be my choice.

Also, the enamelware seems to be a little warmer shade of blue (at least on my monitor) which will be great in a kitchen/dining area :)

• doonie
    13 years ago

Blondie, Things are coming right along for you! Great!

I painted stripes like that once in my bathroom about that width. First I painted the wall a solid color. You have to let it dry for it to cure well. Then I measured all around the crown molding. I used a plumb bob (DH held it and snapped it) to render a vertical line. I had measured all around the crown molding. Then I used the wide blue painter's tape to tape my lines. I used a lighter tint of paint and mixed it with a glaze, which creates and even more subtle stripe.

The Enamelware in your photo has a greater intensity then the inspiration photos. Get yourself some posterboard and check it out!

As far as farmtables, I got 2 of my tables from the lovely company below. They make nice solid heavy farmtables with lots of customization. Anywho, that's another great source!

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Tables Made Daily

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lav, I am back to white tiles, I just love the inspiration pic boxer put up with them! I agree with you that the yellow has to be more pronounced, thank you!

Doonie, I tried the light blue on the wall, and a funny thing happend. There is so much natural sunlight in those rooms that it washed out to almost nothing. Then I tried another beautiful color, which looked just right on the card, Martha Stewarts Salt Glaze, and it washed out as well. Then I went more bold with the Martha Enamelware, and it looked good.
    Today I bought a gallon (had it mixed in BM line instead of MS) and will paint a wall tomorrow and live with it for a few days. See what it looks like in all types of light.
    Thank you for the amazing farm table link, I cant wait to look it over with a cup of tea!
    Will keep you posted when the paint it up!

• nancyaustin
    13 years ago

I recently toured a Farrow & Ball showroom that had stripes similar to the one in your inspiration photo. The painter said that he used the same color of paint but he used flat for one stripe and satin for the other stripe. Very effective. For a great blue/grey, try BM Tranquility. Or for a warm, neutral but rich color, try BM Hush.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Blondie, it sounds like you have the wall color thing in great control! It is amazing what the native light in a room can do to colors. I'd love to see the colors on your wall when you decide.

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nancya, thank you for that tip. I think that would be a really subtle look and I will keep it in mind if the color I am using now doesn't get it.

doonie, your post made me realize that I better wait and see what the color looks like on a cloudy day- and thankfully today is that. It may be too much color on a grey day. I will paint a wall this afternoon while it's snowing and check back in with a photo.

Hoping it looks like this, Photo from Macys:

thank you!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- I had a bedroom painted that shade of blue once and it was beautiful! It was when I was in high school and my mom helped me with my room. She called it a pale robin's egg blue...and we used lots of white wicker and plants in the room, which had windows on three sides. It looked amazing with the english cottage chintz on the cushions (pink roses with lavender smaller flowers and lots of leaves on a white background).

It's still one of my favorite colors...and there's enough warmth in the blue to look wonderful with the yellow. Hope this color works in your room because I really loved it :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- Found some pictures I thought you might like :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• lolab
    13 years ago

Sorry - I lost track of this thread, but I can speak about the painted stripes. There are a couple of methods I've seen or used.

Someone previously mentioned getting the same shade in both a flat and eggsell finish. This is the method I used, so here are my suggestions for optimal results. First, paint the entire room in the eggshell finish and let dry THOROUGHLY. Really -- like an entire week, to allow the paint to cure. You'll see why in the next step. Using a chalk line, snap your vertical lines at the desired distance. Wider lines look more casual to my eye, but that's a matter of personal preference. Tape along the chalk lines with blue painters tape, being careful to burnish the edge of the tape along the edge where the second color will go, to prevent bleeding. Paint every other stripe with the flat paint, and remove the tape while the paint is still damp. By using the eggshell first and really, really letting it cure, the tape should come away without tearing off the first coat. I learned this the hard way and had to go back and touch up along almost all my lines when the tape pulled the first coat of paint up.

Second method is to use flat paint on the entire wall, let dry THOROUGHLY, then mark your stripes as above. Paint alternating stripes with polyurethane in a satin finish (unless you like high sheen - I don't). A friend did this in her dining room and it turned out very well. She didn't seem to have the same problem I did with the tape pulling away the flat paint. Maybe because she let it dry longer, which I recommended after my own fiasco.

Using either of these methods leads to a more subtle striped effect. If you use two different shades (like I did in my son's room in my last house), or even two completely different colors, it's much bolder and, I think, less formal.

It's not hard to do, just tedious and time consuming.

Any way you decide to go, with all those inspiration photos, the room should look amazing!!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- I really like this kitchen...aren't those plate racks beautiful? The soft yellow beadboard, in the upper cabinets, reminded me of your color.

What do you think?

{{gwi:1412555}}

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Blondie,

I'm loving your inspiration pics and colors. Can't wait to see how you pull it all together.

I'm also really loving that picture w/ the blue and white toile you included in your Jan 9, @ 6:52 post. Do you have any additional info on that fabric (or is it wallpaper?). Thanks so much.

The fabric:

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Bumping in hopes blondie will see... ;-)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Jbrig- I'll email Blondie and let her know you're asking about the fabric :)

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Thanks, LL; that would be great. I didn't see an email option on her "My Page".

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lav, thank you for the email. Sorry about the delay, I've been away from GW for a while due to a health scare, but all is well now!
    jbrig, that pattern is actually a Ralph Lauran wallpaper from his Ralph Lauren Family Places book, link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: RL Family Places

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the info, blondie. And thanks again, to you, too, lavenderlass for giving the heads-up to blondie.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

I hit "Submit Message" too soon--I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, in terms of your health now, blondie!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Jbrig- Happy to help and I'm glad you found your fabric. It's a beautiful choice!

Blondie- Good to see that you're feeling better. Take care of yourself and have some fun painting your new kitchen! :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- Are you still thinking about delft backsplash tile? Have you found any you like?

• bama12
    13 years ago

Any updates on the blue kitchen?? Love all the beautiful pictures.....

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi bama,
    painting is almost done. the martha stewart sale glaze looks really beautiful. we start putting down the hardwood on saturday. still in an undecided state about light fixtures. i love the bagatelle pendant (although in silver finish) at link below but it is out of my price range. lowes has a pretty do-able knock off i will look at today.
    caera is still missing so no pics. have to just bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Here is a link that might be useful: bagatelle pendant

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The light fixture I chose (above- the bell urn) was way too big. Does anyone have any lighting ideas that are affordable for my kitchen? Thank you! Need to have up in three weeks for the bank!
    Went with the white cabinets, going with Antarctia Corian, went with the Martha Stewart Salt Glaze oaint, and pewter or polished nickle for the caboinet hardware.
    Thank you!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Has anyone seen any posts from Blondie, lately? I'm wondering how her kitchen is progressing. Last I heard, she was putting in marble counter tops.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

bump

• JBMinteriors
    11 years ago

Blondie-
    I am also loving the French Villa by Crystal. I can't find many pictures either. Would you mind emailing a few pictures of your kitchen? I would love to see it. Thanks,
    Jenny
    jen4888@yahoo.com

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio