Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chscl_gw

Loud refrigerator buzzing noise!

chscl
9 years ago

We have a brand new LG French door refrigerator purchased a few months ago . For the past week or so I've noticed a louder than normal "buzzing" " vibrating" noise I haven't heard before. After some pushing/pulling/ tugging a bit realize the noise stops completely once the unit is pulled all the way out ( see pic)
Seems as if the noise is caused by the refrigerator vibrating against the cabinets? Has anyone ever heard of this? And at this point any suggestions to remedy it ? The loud buzzing is making me nuts . The only solution the hubs can offer is to leave it out like this! ð©

Comments (18)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Are you sure it's not something in one of the cabinets? Looks like a pretty tight fit. Maybe you have somethings in the cabinet that are picking up the vibrations of the fridge motor?

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

If the noise is still there after you check for something in the cabinets rattling--could be an adjustable shelf or something on the shelves....

You could try padding the sides of the recess with some thin packaging material--that foam stuff--or yoga mats or felt from the fabric store. I would staple it lightly to the sides of the cabinets. A paper stapler might be enough to hold it up--the thin wire would make very tiny holes rather than big holes from a heavy duty stapler.

• bordenh
    9 years ago

Our LG fridge was making a vibrating noise too. I think it a common problem with LG. However, you do have a tight fit and after we levelled our fridge a little more, the noise seemed to go away. I can see the white legs when I look under it, so you might try that.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Could be the water line, if it's hard like copper or plastic, vibrating against the back.
    My Jenn Air gets a very soft buzzing sound some times which is an ice cube that has not ejected from the ice maker.
    Casey

• Jeremy Farmer
    8 years ago

We have exactly the same problem, did you manage to fix it?

• Peter B
    3 years ago

My Amana French Door refrigerator had the exact same problem. Two solutions: taped up the copper water supply line to the back of the unit to cut down on vibration. Then noticed after I pushed unit back in that the slightest possible variation in the floor caused the coils underneath to vibrate. I was able to insert a 1/4 inch thick styrene sheet under the coil. Experimented with the positioning, and voila, no noise.

• Joseph Forman
    3 years ago

Happening to me now.... 8/2/2020... just as describe.

• Agnes Cleary
    3 years ago

Our is quiet most of the time, but about once a day it gives off a very loud buzzing that reminds me of the shoplifting alarm at the store I used to work at! Can't figure our what's causing it. Only got it 2 weeks ago

• HU-915283732
    3 years ago

Our LG fridge does the same thing! We also have a tight fit with the surrounding cabinets. we Won’t be buying an LG Fridge again. The noise makes it hard to relax and is hard to fix. I’m going to try some of the suggestions here-thanks everyone!

• wzivin
    3 years ago

My brand new LG is also very loud!

• Kimberly Malone
    3 years ago

Ours is brand new. The first night we had it I jumped off the couch it's so loud. It makes the sound a few time's a day. Hate it!!!! For the $$$ we spent very disappointed

• HU-372859530
    3 years ago

Our fridge iced up when it made that sound. Had to turn it off for three days to de-ice it. Fridge didn't make the sound for about a year, then just started doing it again. We are never buying another LG fridge.

• HU-253855761
    3 years ago

Our fridge just started doing this a few weeks ago. When we pull it out like in the above photo, it stops. So far we have tried adjusting the front leveling legs so the fridge is at a slight rear tilt, which has made the noise quieter, though it is still

there. Not sure what else to do??

• Vanessa Withers
    2 years ago

Anyone find a solution for this--- i am having the same problem. It stopped doing this for a few months but now the noise is back.

• Vanessa Withers
    2 years ago

Hey all-

I turned off the Ice Maker switch (we do not have a water line)--- and seems to have done the trick.

• John Galloway
    last year

I have the buzzy issue wiht an LG fridge as well. Its been driving me crazy for years. It all started with they replaced the compressor (under waranty) with a bigger one and it seems to impart vibration to the unit so the interor shelving/trans etc buzz. I would presume that better vibration damping in the compressor mouting woudl fix it, but naturaly LG isn't going to help.

• HU-461348226
    3 months ago

We have the same problem (and two others too). For the vibration, that has not been solved yet. I had to threaten to call the attorney general of our state to get them to address this. They replaced the compressor which they said was the cause, but an hour after the guy left, it started again and has continued since, and I have not resolved it yet. The other two problems were contents in the fridge freezing, whcih was due to a door not operating that controlled air to the refrigerator from the freezer compartment. Once they replaced the door, that problem was resolved. And the other problem was the temperature on the door was set at about 40F and the internal temp fluctuated from about 30 to 40. They replaced a circuit board and now when the door temp is set at 39 the internal temp is steady at about 33 and nothing is freezing any longer so although there is a 6 degree difference between the set temp and the internal temp (they say they cannot fix this), but at least it is constant and nothing is freezing. But the vibration noise is really disturbing and remains unresolved.