Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

SF Bay Area tile places

crl_
9 years ago

We are in the San Francisco Bay Area. Any suggestions for places to look for tile? We'd be looking for kitchen backsplash and bathroom floor tiles. No firm budget has been set for either item, but since both areas are relatively small, I think we'd go for $15-30 a square foot. Maybe a little more on the backsplash tile. Lower coat would be awesome, of course.

We are thinking possibly ceramic in blues/greys for the backsplash. And medium grey either stone or rectified porcelain for the bathroom floor.

We've been to the Heath factory in Sausolito (the tour is fun if you are interested--and super bonus it is near Fish, which is one of my favorite places to get a crab roll). I love that their tile is locally made. The fireclay show room is on my radar. I'd kind of like to go to the Ann Sacks showroom, but the hours posted on their website are just during the week which isn't exactly convenient. Plus they seem to require/encourage an appointment? Is Ann Sacks tile sold elsewhere? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

The Fireclay showroom is wonderful. The staff are really nice, helpful, not pushy, and their tile is beautiful. I've been to Country Floors and they had a large amount of tile and the woman who helped me was very helpful. I was only there once but my experience was very positive. They are only open M-F though. They are located close to the Fireclay showroom (which is open on Sat), so if you can go during the week you could easily go to both from wherever you park. Dal Tile has a showroom in San Leandro and a design studio in SF. I haven't been to either but they probably have a lot of tile to look at and choose from.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Ceramic Tile at 13th and South Van Ness has a fabulous selection, although the largest selection around is Natural Tile & Stone in Burlingame. We ended up getting Fireclay for our backsplash and got our bathroom tile at Ceramic Tile.

• andyscott
    9 years ago

I would check out Porcelanosa, their tiles are made in Spain. They have a HUGE selection at their showroom in San Jose, and they also have a showroom @ 78 Division Street in SF. On their website you can see all the tiles they offer - I've been to most tile stores in Silicon Valley and nothing compares with Porcelanosa.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• Fori
    9 years ago

All Natural Stone in SJ has a nice assortment of tile (plus slabs! And donuts).

Porcelanosa is really nice, but they do tend towards the modern (although there's something there to appeal to everyone).

I didn't have the time to put out the effort to look at Ann Sacks either. Pfft. I'm way to lazy for that. Fireclay (I've only been to the SJ showroom) is so easy to visit and get samples it's just ridiculous in comparison.

There's always Bedrosian's--the branch in Hayward (or near there) has a lot of variety.

There's an MSI place in the east bay somewhere if you want to see their stuff. They won't sell to you but they have displays.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

Ditto on Porcelanosa (I've only been to the SF showroom). Walker Zanger has showrooms in SF and Hayward. Art Tile on Broadway in Oakland has a nice selection.

Someday I'll get to Fireclay in San Jose.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas!

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Arizona Tile in Livermore has some beautiful stuff, and Western Tile and Design in Dublin and Concord has large selections, too. You can get contractor prices at both locations.

• calumin
    9 years ago

If you are looking at stone tiles, try Integrated Resource Group in Brisbane. The web site is www.marblecompany.com. I got quartz countertop slabs there. The stock is in the warehouse so you can pick your specific slabs. I also got marble tiles there. It's a lot cheaper than other retail shops directly in SF.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I second the recommendations for All Natural Stone in Burlingame (and other locations -- not certain where you are in the BA) and Ceramic Tile Design. The former carries Ken Mason Tile, which is handmade in SoCal. I have some of this -- they also sell overruns direct to the public. The latter carries Pratt & Larson from Oregon and some other lines that can get super pricey, super fast.

One last suggestion, Floorcraft in South SF carries some less expensive lines that are still quite nice.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! So many great suggestions.

• rooandcheese
    9 years ago

We got our bathroom tile at Geologica in Potrero Hill. They had a more unique selection that other places, mostly modern and porcelain. Free and easy street parking, and several other tile stores nearby so you can check out a few at once.

+1 for Ceramic Tile. Wide variety of styles and price points. Just remember to bring coins for the old-school meters.

When you are ready for grout, you can get Custom/CEG at Best Tile or Laticrete/Spectralock Pro at Bedrosian's.