Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyinmaine

Should I be wary of a really cheap granite quote??

staceyinmaine
15 years ago

We are ordering our cabinets tomorrow so I've been starting to think about counters. Although I personally like the soft, organic look of limestone or soapstone or slate, this is a 3-year house for us and I need to keep resale very much in mind. Here in New England, it seems granite is still king.

I have seen ads from granite fabricators looking to fill this slow season, most around $55 sq. ft. installed with limited color choices. If I choose the "perfect" color at the stone store, I'll pay about $75. But I saw an ad from a Massachusetts shop for $35 sf installed!!!!! I can only choose from a very limited selection, but he says I CAN drive down to Massachusetts and choose the slab I want.

Does this sound too good to be true? What should I be asking?

Thanks- this forum is so helpful!!

Stacey

Comments (15)

• vrjames
    15 years ago

Stacey,

This is the first I have heard og pricing being that low in the Northeast. They have been that low in the south for quite a while.

The $35 sf price is very low, but there may be a few traps.

Some cases that is a starting price, then they add on for everything that is included in the $55 price. Trip charges, measuring charges etc.

Get an exact quote from the company based on an accurate drawing of your kitchen, then compare that to the other companies. That is the only true way to tell.

One thing I can guarantee you sacrafice at the $35 price will be any service, follow up, and concern if anything goes wrong. They will slap it in and leave.

Good luck

• vrjames
    15 years ago

One more thing, Give Morningstar in Topsham a shot at your business. Nick is a master stone fabricator.

• artielange
    15 years ago

I have a friend who lives in an older home on a multi-million dollar horse farm in Ocala. She was driving down the road and saw a sign that said "You Deserve Granite Countertops - $35 square foot" so she stopped and talked with the man who owned the shop. He came out, measured, then installed Santa Cecilia with a bullnose edge (lots of it!) and only charged the $35 a foot. No extras and it looked great. I was skeptical too but hers turned out really well.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Yes, I'd be wary. But then I'd prefer to check out any installer thoroughly.

• staceyinmaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, folks.
    I did get an actual quote, with all the cutouts and everything, and it was still really cheap ($1850 for our whole -albeit small- kitchen).
    I guess I was afraid that the granite itself might be suspect. Crack? I have never had more than a small area of granite counter, so this is new to me.
    vrjames: I will call morningstar. i would love to give a local shop the business if they can compete price-wise. In fact I'd love to use local stone, but I think it's all too pink-hued :(

• granitegirly
    15 years ago

Hello,

I would be slightly wary of anything ridiculously low. I am in the northwest, and hear because of tough times, you can get the labor down to $35.00/ft, but than you they add the stone cost, undermount costs, and edge details. If this person is truly doing this for $35.00/ft installed, than they are doing a few things

1. Using closeout colors that stone yards are trying to offload cheap, so you risk stones with a large amount of fissures (not acceptable surface fissures, but ones that have opened into cracks) and fill. All stones have fill somehwhere, but large amounts are unacceptable, you risk them popping out with time, and also since the resin they fill it with is pretty much an apoxy compound, you really dont know how heat/etch/stain resistant the fill is.
    2. The fabricator is obviously not maintaining his machines appropriately, the costs of the machines used to cut, and polish these stones is incredibly expensive. There is a reason that natural stone countertops cost more, and its more than just the price of your rock.

I would say that you could probably find a bit of a deal in this day and age, because just about anyone who has anything to do with new construction or remodeling is hurting. But watch out, if you have a hack do your rock, you will have uneven edges, bad fill, and improper instalation. God forbid they dont undermount your sink right (if your going with an undermount) and it falls out. There are things a fabricator needs to know and preform well, like if the cabinets aren't completely flush with the wall, or plum with the floor, the fabricator has to shim them and alter the cuts he makes with your stone so they install properly. Go to someone who has a reputation for doing a good job, it will be worth it 10 years from now when your stone is still gorgeous, and your home is worth more because of it!

Hope i helped :)

• missleah
    15 years ago

I live in Wisconsin and just got a quote on granite last week. Our granite starts at $28.00 installed if you pick the eased edge. The sink cutout is an extra $250 and yes you get to pick out your own slab. It is correct and I would not be so wiery. Another lady in the building the home forum just got Uba Tuba for really cheap in her brand new 4000+ sq foot home and loves it. Yes you can get granite for really cheap but you are limited to a very few color choices and the catch that I found was this: I have 75 sq feet of countertop space and they are charging for the waste factor. So in the quote they charge me for 90 sq feet because I used 2 slabs or something like that. If you don't mind paying for the waste then it's a good deal.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I guess you don't need this since you already got a quote, but for others considering something similar...as was mentioned above, check for what's included and what's extra.

• Cutouts (sinks, cooktop, slide-in range)

• Holes (faucets, soap dispensers, air switches, air gaps)

• Edges (Is there a "standard" that comes w/the price? Do others cost more? How much?)

• Measuring Fee

• Travel Fee

• Radius corners/edges (non-straight lines like diagonal cuts or curves on corners of islands, peninsulas, and even end-of-counter run...i.e., anyplace the edge changes direction)

Lastly, check references both from work months ago AND recently...in particular those who have gotten the same "deal". They may be a reputable fabricator in general, but it is possible they might treat customers differently who have taken them up on their "deal". They might send trainees or their lest-competent people out and save their "best" employees for the full-price customers.

So, be wary and do your research! Good luck!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Stacy, I'm not sure where in Maine you are, but there are several top notch fabricators in the Portland area (I'm in Bridgton, and do alot of work around Portland). If you want some names, shoot me an email. Guaranteed, they won't be 35.00 a foot, but you get what you pay for. You're better off going with a reputable local shop, and paying a bit more. Consider it insurance, as well as peace of mind.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

missleah - make sure that you get all 90 ft if they're charging you for the 90. You can use the leftover pcs for pizza stones/cheese boards, small vanity tops, window sills, etc. One of my favorite uses, I saw on this forum, was topping her column bases in the front of her house.

• sandsonik
    15 years ago

Stacey, can you tell me where in Massachusetts, or who?
    I'm from New England also and haven't seen prices quite that low yet.

I have actually seen a price that low on Craig's List - maybe it's the same guy? - but more often the lower prices I've seen have been $45-$55 for stones like Baltic Brown or UbaTuba.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Personally, I would not let a low price scare you off. My granite guy is fantastic!! He buys lots of slabs from other companies that are going under and can get some really exotic granite for a very low price, and he passes that low price on to the customer. He can't usually get more than 2 slabs that match though, and often it is only single slabs but for smaller kitchen, he is VERY low. If you can see examples of their work and they check out with the better business bureau, I certainly would not overlook them just because they are cheap. Sometimes you DO get more than you pay for. I sure did with my granite!

• staceyinmaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all- this company is Prostone Design in Clinton, MA. I believe they also have a showroom in Natick. They are having a special on a limited selection of colors. I have emailed to ask for references.
    I'll also be calling several local people this week to see how prices compare.
    Stacey

• gloathome
    15 years ago

I have a question that maybe some of you have experienced with your granite tops. A few months after my tops were installed, I noticed that a small chip must have been repaired on a 10" counter next to my range. Now that I have found it, I am concerned that this repair will last forever. Should I contact the granite fabricator and have them do something about this (like replace this top), or is it insignificant in the overall scheme of things?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

gloathome, you'll get more responses if you start your own thread with your question.