Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onelady1dog2girls

Herringbone backsplash ideas

onelady1dog2girls
14 years ago

Hi everyone. I was planning on doing a backsplash range wall with Rixi tiles and boxing out the subway tiles above the range in a herringbone pattern. DH and I were measuring the box and realized that the range is nearly 3/4 of an inch shifted to the left. We'd done this b/c of some walkway clearance issues and you really don't notice it until you draw a vertical line as required by the box. I am thinking I need to scrap the box entirely. I'd like to do the whole wall in a 45 degree slant herringbone pattern. I think I would choose a slightly darker smokey taupe grout to make it standout a bit more. Here is the wall I will be doing:

I still would like to somehow incorporate some tantrum crushed glass somehow, either by liners or some tiles worked into the actual herringbone pattern. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your time

Comments (9)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I still would like to somehow incorporate some tantrum crushed glass somehow, either by liners or some tiles worked into the actual herringbone pattern. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your time

This is easy. Do a row of subway tiles laid straight across at the counter. Do a row of glass, and then take a measurement. Whatever that measurement is, draw a line that far down from your upper cabinets. Do your herringbone between what you've got so far, and that line, and then reverse it-- a row of glass, and then the straight row of subway tile.

No problem! :-) Then the straight rows would set off the herringbone, and vice versa.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I hit submit too quickly!! in the area over the cooktop, I'd run a brick joint over the top row of glass, and then use the glass to make 3 diamonds in that 6-8" indent by the hood.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I found a lady in Ga that sells Glass cracked tile(just like Sonoma!) . I am ordering from her. Her prices are very reasonable. I have just recieved my samples. Her name is Katherine Poole of MPM products. Phone number is 7704904142. Can you tell her the lady in VA referred her? I am ordering metals and glass work from her company.

• onelady1dog2girls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bill, you have so much experience,it really helps when you run into a curve ball like we just did with the misalignment! What is a brick joint? When you recommend row of glass, are you talking about liners or are you talking about 2x2 or something run straight across? What about using two 2 x 2's where the herringbone subway tiles meet? I saw a posting from Chloesmom (I think that was the name) and she had long subways with squares of glass tile between (in a typical subway running pattern), it was a beautiful repeating pattern and I was wondering if I could somehow incorporate a pattern like that? Do you have any photos of what you are suggesting? Sorry so many questions. Of course, I probably couldn't go wrong with straight herringbone either....

peytonroad - it's funny you mention the crushed glass lead. I think you are referring to Bel Sol, and actually I have an appointment to see some of the concept boards this weekend. Tantrum is definitely beautiful, I love the pewter colored crushed glass tile...but if Bel Sol has a similar color choice and it is reasonable, I certainly would be interested. Thank you so much for the recommendation.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

Is this the first time you have posted this kitchen? It's lovely! Can I ask for details on your kitchen? (not to hihjack your thread, perhaps you can start a new one). Who did the lovely edge on your marble?
    thanks!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

onelady1dog2girls-- brick joint is another easy one-- it's your typical subway tile pattern-- set like bricks, with the joints in one row falling in the middle of the tiles from the rows above and below.

When you recommend row of glass, are you talking about liners or are you talking about 2x2 or something run straight across?

Whatever size you like. My recommendation would be for liners or something thin like that, because if you go too big, you're not going to have too much room to work with for your herringbone. Lets say you use a 1/2" liner, and 3" tile for a border top and bottom-- that's 7" out of what's normally an 18" space-- leaves you 11" to do the herringbone pattern. Using a 3x6 subway tile set tight, that's still enough room, but I wouldn't want to give up much more than that.

What about using two 2 x 2's where the herringbone subway tiles meet?

That works alot better when using a square pattern, where a corner gets "clipped" off four tiles that come together. That's not to say it can't be done, but it wouldn't be as simplistic as clipping a corner on 4 tiles to make a square for the accent.

I saw a posting from Chloesmom (I think that was the name) and she had long subways with squares of glass tile between (in a typical subway running pattern), it was a beautiful repeating pattern and I was wondering if I could somehow incorporate a pattern like that?

I don't remember seeing the splash you're talking about, but I don't see why not.

Do you have any photos of what you are suggesting?

No, I don't. I've never done one like this but you've inspired me! :-) This is the closest I've done to what you're talking about:

• onelady1dog2girls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bill - here are a couple of inspiration photos, which are all jaw dropping. I am thinking I should just keep this pattern as is, or incorporate something right into the pattern (so as to not make it too fussy?). I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/comments.

I don't remember the source here:

From Knight Moves 9/09:

From De Poitiers:

Scrappy, thank you for your compliment! I will be glad when this backsplash is done. We had Cleveland Granite do the granite. It is a beautiful granite, so I am thrilled that we stumbled on it - it's called Mont Blanc.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/comments.

Wow.

That first one with the window should give you an idea of what it would look like with the straight course of rile against the herringbone.

Look at that middle picture, and imagine it with the straight row top and bottom, accented with a glass pencil liner, or even a row of 1" glass.

• megpie77
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely. I love herringbone. Are you saying you want to do the enitre range wall? I personally wouldn't do any accents. I think a wall of herrinbone is accent enough-keep it clean and classic. That's just me though, the only accents I really like are accessories I can put away when I get sick of 'em. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, it's just my opinion and something to think about. Or perhaps I'm just not good at envisioning things. Your kitchen is beautiful and you have great taste. I love your inspiration pics.