Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teched_gw

Countertop decisions--help?

teched
16 years ago

I value everyone's opinion here on GW, and I am hope you can steer me in the right direction. My kitchen will have oak floors in an antique brown to match the rest of my home, and the cabinets are a painted and distressed ivory. They are not shaker, but are a simple traditional look--think early American. I toyed with soapstone, but I really need some color--the blacks and dark greens just don't work for me or in this kitchen. (I love soapstone, don't get me wrong, it just is too dark in this kitchen.)

I looked through the FKB, and most of the ivory cabinets seem to have soapstone or honed AB granite. The other colors I see a lot of are the white/gold granites. DH is voting for the golds, but they just look sort of washed out on the ivory cabinets. I have been looking at a Bordeaux-colored granite. Red is my favorite color and I have it in the adjacent, although not open, DR.

Has anyone used this combination who would be willing to share pictures? Any other color combinations anyone has tried?

Comments (29)

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Before committing to soapstone I put a deposit on a beautiful piece of granite called golden pearl. Not sure what other names it might go by. We have cream cabinets and travertine floors. The granite had a lot of cream/gold/yellow tones with some dark flecks which seemed to ground it a little better. I think it would have looked nice with the cabinets but was a little too glossy for the look we wanted. Good luck.

• luvnola
    16 years ago

There are SO many great choices. I would suggest visiting stone yards (if stone is the look you are going for) with a cabinet door in hand and have a blast looking at all of the beautiful choices until you find one you simply can't live without.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

I did not like the idea of black or really dark granite either and finally found this granite that is very terra cotta in tone with just flecks of black and brown. My cabinets are creamy white also but in this particular picture they are not yet repainted. The granite is called Yellow Antico although I think there's another word they use for yellow (gall...?) something. I am very happy with my choice although I think one of the red granites would look great also.

{{!gwi}}

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Do you have a picture of your floors? I am curious about antique brown oak floors.

• Fori
    16 years ago

I LOVE the idea of a reddish stone. Ivory cabinets and oak floors are beautiful and classic but need some spice. Show us some sample pictures if you can (especially of the granite).

But I think you're on the right track. Browns...golds...those aren't going to be properly showcased. But bordeaux! That sounds perfect.

Confession: I am tired of brown on brown and off-brown, so I'd always suggest color anyway. But I like red. And it's a great color scheme.

• muscat
    16 years ago

I think a crema bordeaux or typhoon bordeaux would both look really nice and match the style you are describing.

• teched
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I am going to give pasting pictures a shot.

Here is the door color:

Here is a picture of my piano (for sale to make room for the renovation) which shows the floor color:
    {{!gwi}}

This is Juparna Persa (with my door):
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

This is Juparna Bordeaux:
    {{!gwi}}

This is Golden Beach--yet another option:
    {{!gwi}}

Cool It worked! Thanks for your opinions!

• theresab1
    16 years ago

I really like the jurapurna bourdeaux wiht your cabinets and floors. Its a gorgeous stone.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

OHHHH,

The Juparna Bordeaux would look fantastic with your cabinets and flooring, and rich looking too.

• rosie
    16 years ago

Agree the Bordeaux would look great. I've had repeated fantasies of a luscious red marble counter in my own creamy white kitchen.

• Fori
    16 years ago

Yup. You should follow your instincts on this one. That Persa is much nicer than I expected but I'm going to have to try to nudge you to the Bordeaux. The others are just too darn wimpy-colored for your floors, and not nearly as interesting.

• vizslalover
    16 years ago

Oh wow...the Bordeaux for sure!!!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Bordeaux!

• auchmedden
    16 years ago

Definitely the bordeaux!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Bordeaux here too! I usually lean toward the blacks or creams...but that granite looks awesome! Go for it!

• teched
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, it's amazing how many people weighed in on the bordeaux. We are going back to the fabricator today since DH has only seen these slabs via e-mail. My fear is we will see yet another option! Will keep you updated!

• scootermom
    16 years ago

I am not a huge granite fan but must say that the bordeaux made me swoon! I think it would look incredible w/ your cabs and floors. Keep us posted -- if you find something better than that...I'd be interested to see it!

• teched
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, went back to the granite place today. Loved the Golden Beach (the picture here is not as nice as the actual slab). While I liked the Bordeaux, the slab pictured here is prettier than the one on top at the yard. I love the richness of the red, so I asked if we can go through the slabs in stock (which of course is no problem).

One of the things that stops me cold are my dishes. I have Polish pottery plates and serving pieces. If you're not familiar with it, it has a lot of blue, green, and yellow. DH is quick to point out the red dots in some of the pieces. LOL--I would not have thought of that!

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

I have juparana bordeaux. Don't have the ivory cabinets but I have alot of ivory in my kitchen. It looks great with ivory in my opinion. I was like scootermom - I didn't even like granite but when I saw this I was sold. Didn't even consider anything else.

One thing I did find was that the juparana bordeaux slabs varied widely - from pale pinkish to deeper terra cotta - which was what I wanted. I had to look a little bit before I found the right slab.

Here's the combo of materials I used to give you an idea where I'm coming from.

{{!gwi}}

• msrose
    16 years ago

Have you look at Santa Cecilia? It's my favorite granite.

Laurie

• teched
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, gibby3000, for your pictures. I have seen your kitchen in the FKB, and it is fabulous. I was wondering where you found the tiles to match the slab? DH thinks it is awesome and would be great on the backsplash.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Teched, don't worry about the dishes! You want your dishes to stand out on your counters, not blend in, so they'll go with either granite. The one concern I'd have with the Polish stoneware and any of these is the amount of pattern. Both have a lot of similarly sized pattern. The cure? Placemats. Trivets. I.e., frames for your dishes. But, really, that's a small concern. They'll look fine. (I have some of the original pre-floral Bunzlaur pieces.)

Why not take a couple small pieces with you when you go to choose slabs? (I like both colors so am no help there...) Check with the stoneyard about tiles in the same stone. Lots of yards also sell stone tiles.

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

Teched - I got the tiles from a local tile distributor - not from the place I got the slab. They sold granite tile also but didn't have juparana bordeaux. I never thought I would find tile that matched but it is a perfect match.

• sail_away
    16 years ago

Mmmm, I have a number of pieces of the Polish pottery also. I can understand what you're saying, although maybe it doesn't matter? Personally, I think I would go with the granite I thought best complemented my design scheme (cabinets, flooring, etc.) in the kitchen rather than try to coordinate with the pottery. However, if it's a concern, why not take some pottery back to the granite yard and see if you could live with the combination?

• agnesackneback
    16 years ago

teched - Are you serious about the piano? I would love to have a piano like that!

• thankurnmo
    16 years ago

I am in a similar situation deciding on granites. I dont know but I will be in the minority here and say that I really like the way it looks with the Jup. Persa.

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

I like them both, but that Juparana bordeaux is an eye popper. That would look great with your cabs. My DH was leaning toward that the last time we went to the yard, but the slab we saw was not as nice as that one. It seemed more mauve/pink than the one you have posted.

• teched
    Original Author
    16 years ago

agnesackneback--It's up for sale on craigslist right now. Unfortunately, all of my kids play brass instuments, and they don't use it. Neither I nor DH play it. It currently sits in a little alcove that the GC is going to move toward the kitchen. Giving up that 2 x 10 space is going to make my kitchen flow better, so it is worth it.

• agnesackneback
    16 years ago

teched - you should post a link to your craigslist ad.