Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slk7e7

Please critique my layout!

slk7e7
9 years ago

Hi all, I've posted before about the process to hire a design-build firm and my husband and I both greatly appreciated the (sometimes brutally) honest feedback.

We've found a KD (at a design-build) that we really like and are on the second draft of a layout. Please forgive the picture quality; the plans were too large for me to scan so it's just a picture of the paper plans.

We have two small kids (4 and 1) and are in our house for the long haul. I am the only cook but like all homes the kitchen is the heart of our home. It opens to an eating area and living room (all very open).

My main question/concern with this layout is the placement of the sink in a corner. I'm afraid it may feel awkward and not be the best use of space.

The island is narrow but I'm ok with that, I think. Would love feedback, though.

The laundry room is adjacent and I'd like to push it back another 6" to make it a true galley room and use that space in the kitchen instead (we are already moving that wall about 12"). I think we'll close it off with a pocket door.

Across from laundry room will be a utility closet on the right with space for hanging brooms, and cubbies/hooks for kids' coats on the left. The garage entry is to the left of that.

Across island from the 36" range top is wall oven/convection microwave, pantry, fridge, and command center.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm terrified I'm making huge mistakes somewhere and this is the only shot I'm getting to ever design my own kitchen.

Comments (4)

• Liz
    9 years ago

can you move the garage door down (and mudroom closet to top of that area, so it is either next to or backing up to, the laundry room).

Then the short side of your kitchen's L should be long enough to house the range or sink; the other could go on the top wall.

• slk7e7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just now saw the post about asking for layout help (sorry about that) so I wanted to come back with a few more things:

1) In the first draft layout the range top was on the short wall where the dishwasher is now (my current 15 year-old stove is there now). My KD thought it would be tight in the corner to the right of it and tried to talk me into a cooktop instead of a range top with its protruding front. We have our hearts set on the range top, though, which is where the idea to move it came from.

2) Sink needs to stay on that wall (or in the corner) because we have an amazing view from that side of the house (we sit up on a ridge and can see for miles) so I really want to enjoy it when I'm at the sink. We are almost doubling the size of the window to take advantage of the view.

3) Island shows an overhang at the end near the eating area, but that will be nixed. I don't want seating at the island since the eating area is already right there.

Thanks again; your feedback is appreciated so much!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I most likely wouldn't have a corner sink. My sister had one and it worked for her - but she lived alone.

If it were my kitchen I'd have the fridge on the lower short run of the L (my fridge is only 28" w), then dw, then sink facing the wall (yes, up to the corner if need be), then the whole stretch from corner down to range top would be prep space (with the view). People spend more time prepping than they do hand washing dishes.

Or have the fridge on the end of short run, sink on corner area facing window, then dw and down to RT. Most don't like the dw in the prep area because of it being loaded/unloaded while someone is prepping. And if it is running many/most now are vented out the front - right where someone might be standing to prep.

Or I'd run it the other way w/ fridge on the top far R, going left to the sink (a bit more to the left of where you have the RT) and put the RT on the short run (I can't tell how much space is there for it tho). Can't read most measurements. Don't see any measurements for the length of either run.

On either I'd have the corner open into the laundry - probably as drawers.

If you insist on the fridge across the aisleway, I'd move to the left end so there is straight access to the doors of the fridge (no island barrier). I've seen this in a number of remodeled kitchens, but I wouldn't want to have to cross the walkthrough path to get things/put them away - especially with little kids running around.

I'd also prefer to have the oven close to the RT myself.

do you plan on a prep sink? The kids will be of age to start helping quicker than you think.

I also can't tell what is on the left end of the island.

Are you in an area with really cold weather in the winter? That might make it a better move to move the garage door down so when anyone comes in/goes out a rush of freezing cold doesn't flood the kitchen area directly.

laundry room - have you thought about an area to fold clothes? how about a drop down table on the right wall of laundry?

drawers, drawers, drawers!

do the lined areas in LR and above the range top indicate windows? (to the L and R of where it says 'new window')

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Does the laundry have to stay there? Most people prefer laundry to be near the bedrooms, and this laundry is taking up really prime real estate on the side of the house with the a great view. Usually you want to expend the best views on the kitchen, living room, or master bedroom. Seems a waste of both kitchen space and view to have the laundry here.

Could you please post the layout of the entire floor your kitchen is on? It helps when considering kitchen layout to see it in context.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz