Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinker1121

need to update country looking kitchen part two.

tinker1121
10 years ago

I had no idea there was a 150 message limit so here we go with PART TWO.
I was afraid I was boring people or my indecisiveness was becoming annoying and glad to read all of this may be helping others.

This is my story and I am sticking to it.
-I am not painting the harvest oak cabinets or the harvet oak wainscoat.
-I am keeping my cream with tan and blue flecked formica counters,harvest oak wood edge and navy porcelain sink. (may do the backsplash at a later date).
-I am taking down the wall paper and painting the wall area and soffits and decided on IVOIRE.
-I am replacing my vinyl floor with new vinyl floor.
-Need a new light.
-Bird wall hanging still a maybe but search for artwork.

So what I really really need, is help with the floor pattern. Lots of advise that my wood has too much movement. Thoughts, agree disagree?

Today I thought I found the floor, have sample of it (a slate look with shades of cream/slate/rust) but not sure about the "movement" of it as posts are suggesting I limit the movement because of the oak wood grain. I will post pics later. I have trouble understanding why formica with movement is ok but not floor?

So any pics and photoshopping of vinyl flooring appreciated. That will be my main expense and I want to get it right.

Thanks again and hope to keep this fun party going!

Comments (150)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

What is the floor in your Olioboard?

Do you want Marmoleum in your dining area? It's kitcheny. I wouldn't use upholstered chairs with it, but I think those chairs are too dressy for an eat-in kitchen with a country oak table anyway.

Take your time and find a few countertop samples that you and your cabinets love. It has to start there, whether you keep the sink or not. The cabinets are staying.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

So, the art work with the birds is out, now?

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes the blue art with bird on the branch is of poor quality anfitting in. I still have the one with the leaves and this is still evolving. Appears blue sink may be going bit will decide when Formica is found.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, I missed that one. So the leaves are still in. I have to say that I like your blue sink....

• User
    10 years ago

There are 10 divisions of Marmoleum and each has a BUNCH of colors and patterns. You can do anything with it. My point was it was more resilient than vinyl but tinker doesn't need such a bullet proof floor. She could certainly have it and I bet it will be in the same price point as the vinyl she's looking at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marmoleum

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

I cast a vote for keeping the blue sink. Re the bird and leaves print, although I really like it, my concern is the size. If you have to offset it so as to not cover the light switch, it will always seem as if it was just put up "crooked." Don't get too far ahead of yourself and overthink this to death. I would stick with neutrals for now in the things you feel you must change, which will leave you a lot of room to bring in accents that you like.... picking up the blue in a print, curtains and whatever on the counters... until you want to deal with the next change. Be careful you don't turn this redesign turn into a remodel as it almost seems to be doing.

IMHO

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do think this is more difficult than a remodel! What do I change, what goes or stays and then have to find something I like and goes with the cabinets and wainscoat etc.

I am still in awe of how different the kitchen looks without that dreadful wall paper. The wood does not seem as orange or as dominating. As suggested here, I should have just gotten that off FIRST, digested the new space and then start gathering ideas for colors, décor etc.

Back to the blue sink. Finding formica to go with it is proving to be difficult and my thought is new formica and a tile backsplash with that old sink is like "putting lipstick on a pig" something I read here. I think I would have to stay neutral with the counter color and if that is the case, might as well keep my current formica? Keeping the sink makes the metal choices harder for a faucet, cabinet hardware and a light.

I have considered a new bisque sink or a little darker beige porcelain sink with a matching faucet with new counters and a tile backsplash. I really do think if new laminate is found, the sink will be going.

I am taking my time and all will evolve as I find the time to look for materials and get the colors right. I have ordered some 8 x 10 Formica and Wilsonart samples as working with 2" pieces is pretty much impossible.

I don't think I want to get into Marmoleum but thanks for suggesting. I only need 168 square feet of flooring and looking at the "better and best" lines of vinyl the material will be $500 to $650. Armstrong makes a beautiful vinyl tile.

Thanks again for ALL of your input and continued support. It will be a happy day when I post the end results. I just want it to be nice and not have any regrets or waste $ on the wrong thing.

(lol at my own self and attachment to the leaf and bird picture!)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Why don't you keep the old Formica counters? They look neutral and in good shape. If you really don't like the Formica backsplash, perhaps you could paint over it, or just remove that.

Also, with respect to the leaves art, could you just tape a piece of paper the size of it on the wall and see how that looks? You have that art piece, right, and like it?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

If your sink is limiting your design choices, don't feel bad about replacing it. You got 25 years out of the sink and the Formica.

Make sure the undertones are a very close match in your counters and floor. Pick one of the two to provide a little movement. The counter might be best because of the wainscot.

I recommended keeping your old hardware in your first thread, but when you posted the sink wall, I felt the cabinets could use a little sparkle or shine with a reflective metal.

The dining room might benefit from a reflective metal for the light fixture too. A more open style light fixture (no heavy glass shades) would help lighten the upper part of that room. In the mock-up of the bird mural, the clean and bright colors provided that lightness, but in real life, it added to the heaviness.

• User
    10 years ago

Maybe keep the counter and replace the sink?

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never thought of just replacing the sink. That is a great idea and good for the budget.

Snowing here and lots of time to play with olioboard. Picked up this floor sample yesterday and almost sure it will be The One. Lighter and more muted than showing here.
    Paint is Richmond Bisque, Formica is Mocha Travertine (looks pinky in this picture and not true representation), light is $435 and too expensive and an almond sink.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Do you dislike the sink? I'm biased, but I love blue, especially navy, and love what mudhouse suggested above. It also looks like the current Formica goes well with the sink.
    Now, of course, if you hate your sink, that's a different story.

It sounds like at this point, you're not quite sure which components of your current kitchen you like and dislike. So, perhaps it's best to proceed slowly with figuring out what you absolutely will not change, e.g. the cabinets and paneling, and then paint the walls, get a new neutral floor that goes with the cabinets, and a new light fixture and faucet.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Tinker, how is the reno going? Also, what do you want as the focal point of your kitchen? If you keep the blue sink, it stands out and automatically becomes a focal point. Just something to consider.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's barely going.

I have decided it is not meant to be to replace the counters and the sink. I spent hours online and at HD, Lowes and a kitchen showroom looking for something to coordinate with the cabinets, wainscoat and old or new sink (sink of the same quality as what I have would run close to $600).

There is nothing wrong with either and the blue sink still appeals to me and as others said he counter is neutral and I can always add a backsplash.

Yes, the navy will still dominate but it is a nice color. Pottery Barn has a page of Indigo and I am seeing more blue in the Pier One wall art. I can again tie it in with the curtain fabric, placemats and chairs if I decide to replace the oak chairs

Luv_mkitchen has a great idea to see if the leaf and bird wall hanging could be shortened! It is wood and I have to take it back out of the box to see the construction and what would be compromised. If that won't work, it will be fun to find just the right things for the walls. I will also get a new light and cabinet hardware and hopefully a faucet.

So far having no luck with choosing paint either.

Choosing the paint color is more than aggravating. So far I have tried Kilim Beige (a little heavy and dark at night), the Manchester Tan looks greenish/gray (maybe too cool and sort of weird with the oak colored wood), Interactive Cream (suggested by SW rep and way too orange) and yesterday stopped again and she gave me Believable Buff (looks too dark gold).

I think I need to go lighter and should have picked up the Antique White mentioned here and the color above the Believable Buff.

Below is the Armstrong Floor in Woodstock white and the best one I have found IRL. I think it looks good in Mudhouse's board, and the suggested Chip It colors. I should have done this first to avoid all those wrong colors.

Thanks for asking and all paint color advice will be appreciated! That is not fun at all. Shopping for lights online is as soooo many beautiful choices.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    10 years ago

All of those colors are pretty--now figure out which ones go with your counter and cabinets IRL.

Good luck, don't give up!

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

There is nothing at all wrong with keeping the blue sink. It's one choice in the design plan that will draw the eye. I'm simply talking about having a vision, which it sounds like you have, and working the vision. I'm talking about not letting an extra expense be a deterrant, if it's within your budget and is part of your plan. Your olioboards have been wonderful, and you're worth the spurge of an updated kitchen.
    Regarding the paint problem, I suggest you buy some samples, and paint one part of one side of an old board. That way you have a larger color sample to move about the room and view at different times of the day. That has helped me in making paint decisions. Also, the talented GW folks will see you through this. They're excited about your kitchen and what you're doing.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Tinker - don't get discouraged with the paint. You may want to consider getting some white paint - if you don't have already - and start mixing up some different sample from what you have. It sounds like you have enough different shades to play around. If you mix up something you think will work have it color matched to paint a larger area to see if you like.

I guess this is a classic case of kissing many toads to find the prince. Your color is out there waiting for you to find it.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I agree Tinker, don't get discouraged and don't give up. I don't have a good solution for paint selection when I get to this point in a project....I just keep kissing toads, as Mgoblue85 mentioned, until I find the right one.

I know you will.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your continued support! This is such a small project compared to the magnificent remodels going on here but you all spend just as much time and effort on a small project like this AND put up with my indecisiveness. I really really do appreciate this forum!

I will visit SW once again on my way to work and she is also very patient with me. I don't think I really want to get in to mixing up my own color but thanks for suggesting. I will try the Antique White and funny thing I saw the Maison Blanche sample from my Chip It last visit but didn't pick it up so now worth buying the quart sample. I have a 25% coupon and sample are only $5 and what does one do with all of those different colors later!? lol Again, the Chip It is pulling colors from an online photo and reality may not be the same. I have a mini roller and pan and rolling the colors right onto the wall but need to slow down until the spackling is sanded and not roll over it. DH is a saint.

I love the Olio Boards but they add to the pressure to find the right items in the right colors and quality with my end result looking similar. Biggest disappointment is the selection of vinyl flooring patterns out there. So many bad faux slate and stone patterns and my thought is they have to run their course soon. I love the pattern and colors of the floors on my olio board but again, finding it IRL is difficult.

Onward and upward and THANKS for the pep talk!

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Tinker - you may need some wine and a break. I usually find what I'm looking for once I stop looking.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I hear ya on the bad faux stone patterns. I don't think word of the demise of the 1990s Tuscan style has reached the vinyl floor manufacturers yet.

Do you still have the Armstrong Woodstock White sample? Can you take a photo of it on your kitchen floor but step back to include the sink wall cabinets? The close-up photos don't tell us how it reads on the floor from a distance.

• User
    10 years ago

Mixing the paint you have with white will lighten up a too dark color. If you find a mix that works, the paint store can do a color match off your board. What to do with all your trial and error paint? Mix it all together and you'll have a gallon of "free" paint. Someone will want it. Or take it to Habitat and donate.

I agree. It's time for wine and relaxation. Get away from all of it for a week. Or two. It clears the eyes.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Visit some open houses in your area this weekend, check the listings first to see if they have oak kitchens. Yes, it's snooping, but go in and out quick and you won't keep the agents for too long. You might see things that work and, just as importantly, things that don't!

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I think you would benefit from an interior designer, preferably one nearby for emergency calls. A good one will reach your vision and also be available for hand holding. Mine was really wonderful in both those areas.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took a well needed break from spinning my wheels and being indecisive and things are now coming together.

The blue sink is going. You will find it on Craigs List sometime soon!

I came to the conclusion that a darker counter will give me the pop and interest I lost from removing the wallpaper and decided on Formica Labrador Granite. It is a soft black with some cream, gold and touch of brown and rust.

I see the sink as bisque as have bisque fridge and stove and thought I would like cast iron again but suggestions appreciated. May keep my polished brass faucet but ideas welcome

I stumbled on this beautiful valance and the print and colors hard to see but cream, black and bit of tan/gold. Very classy and looks like I am heading from Country to assort of French Country but I like it for this old house.

I am still undecided on paint color and used BM Gentle Cream on this board and when the valance I ordered today comes in will take it to the paint and flooring stores. Any suggestions for a wall color appreciated.

The light is not a definite but I like it as a bit shiney so some bling. Also love the shadow box wall hanging.

Soooo, this is what looks great so far in real life and I have regained my confidence as like this a lot. It feels right.

Any opinions, ideas, comments are welcome. I am almost there! Still need a floor, paint color, sink, maybe a faucet and cabinet hardware. It is now becoming fun.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Better close up of fabric.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

I bought a couple of items from this site deeply discounted, one had a touch of damage to the finish which is only noticed by me and is doing great two years later.

Here is a link that might be useful: great deal that will work well

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

VERY pretty and classy but I am not a fan of the copper colored edging on some of the bronze metals.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Love the fabric. I like black as an accent, and this looks like a softer charcoal black. I'd replace the faucet because it looks small by today's standards and yes, it's dated.

When you were in SW, did you happen to see a brochure of paint samples called Whites and Lights? There's about 50 colors and it will help get you in the right neutral color family.

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

We also have Labrador laminate counters in our kitchen. Before we painted our cabinets white, they were an oak, a bit darker than golden, but not much. The oak and the Labrador looked fantastic together. : ) I think Labrador is a nice looking laminate overall.

I will caution you that I do find that the dark laminate gobbles the light up in our kitchen, and we have a big window over our counter. I would highly recommend doing under-cabinet lighting. I'd recommend the lighting regardless, but especially if you go with a dark counter.

The other thing that took some getting used to is that Labrador hides everything in it's mottled coloration. Crumbs, goo, you name it. I have to clean it by feel more than by sight. I also think I've scrubbed some of the shine off in the 5 years that we have had it installed. Probably all that obsessive wiping of hidden crumbs. ;-)

Of course, you do realize that going with this color scheme means you'll need to invest in a black and tan dog. : )

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, this is great feedback. To hear from someone with the Labrador laminate is wonderful!! Lov_mkitchen has been such great help to me and also recommends the under cabinet lighting. Not sure DH will want to hear about another change and work involved for under cabinet lighting, but he is the one who taught me the theory "Do it right, or don't do it at all". :)

I am finally having fun and excitement for this project and thanks again to all the Garden Webbers!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Ooh, yes, I like that fabric!

I also like bisque with black and tan and dark brown.

I would like to see the Armstrong floor next to the counter chip and your cabinet in real life. I really like it and think it will look great with your valance. Somehow I don't think that the chip-it has brought out quite the right colors, though. They tend toward all mauve-y and I don't see mauve in the floor on my screen, either in your pics or on the Armstrong website.

BTW did you check out the Armstrong website room designer? you can plug in your floor choice, and paint the room in scads of different colors from SW, BM, PP and Olympic. The only flaw is the choice of cabinets is limited to 7 colors so you just have to go with the closest.

I really liked the counter style they show in the casual kitchen. Sort of a dark gray-black.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Armstrong designer is limited. They show more floor than wall space and rooms are really limited to choose from. I will try to get a picture of the counter chip with the cabinets and awaiting a 5 x 7 sample from Formica.

Valance should be here tomorrow and this weekend I can hopefully choose the paint color and take another look at floor samples to go with the Labrador Granite formica. Armstrong Woodstock White still in the running as I like the pattern a lot.

I am loving the black and tan theme and can't wait to see the valance IRL.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laughable I forgot to ask what you used for the backsplash area with your Labrador Granite formica counters?

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

When my kids first glanced at your dog picture, they thought it was a deer, LOL.

We used some kind of laminate for our backsplash. It's a light, neutral, tan that we bought on closeout at Bargain Outlet about 10 years ago (for $5.00 a sheet. Whoo-hoo. That was when they had REAL bargains.) so I don't know exactly what kind it is. It's close to the Wilsonart Almond Leather and Wilsonart Beige Pampas samples that I have. I know it's not very popular to have laminate backsplashes on GW, but we've found it to be a great, easy care surface, even behind our smooth top electric stove. Here is an older picture from mid remodel.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a laminate backsplash now, same formica as the counter and always liked it especially behind the sink. I don't think I will do it this time as the Labrador color too dark.

I have black plastic on my counters now, testing out the "dark" and I think it will be very pretty. I think I would like a cream tile backsplash with a little black & tan accent somewhere.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I went back through the thread looking for it, but couldn't find it...but I remember you described the colors you have in some of the adjacent rooms. Seems to me they would work well with the colors you're using now.

I like the fabric a lot too.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Tinker,you've been on my mind. It's good to hear back from you so soon. Love your selections, very classy. Black counters look wonderful with oak. I too have black mottled counters, and they do suck up the light. You definately do need under cabinet lights. While you're at it, please add lighting to that pretty glass cabinet and shelf above the sink. What about blackish knobs for the cabinets?
    I had a new Koehler bisque sink prior to my remodel. It was a thing of beauty but seemed to scratch and lose it's shine too easily for my taste. My selection was to go with a Franke stainless just because of the durability factor.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mudhouse, the adjoining living room is painted Pittsfield Buff a light gold and carpeting is a medium tan. Furniture is beige chenille in a cream and light tan and then accents of brown with a brown leather chair, lamps and cream drapes. Accents in the room are brown, gold and some dark red accessories. Room behind the kitchen was once an open back porch and we enclosed it years ago and my computer, utility room. Off white walls with taupe berber carpet and brown and cream toile curtains. I seem to always end up with safe neutrals but it works in this old house.

Texas gal I was thinking of black hardware but trying not to have to change out the antique brass cabinet hinges with so looking for something with a rubbed/antique finish that is black and brass like. Saw some nice ones online but man can they be costly. The rubbed bronze look is everywhere but the copper colored edges are just so harsh looking to me though I like the darkness of the metal. I need 29 knobs so not too bad and I would splurge on just the right thing as it could make a nice impact I think.

Funny you should mention the sink and appreciate the feedback on a bisque sink. Would be pretty with the Labrador formica but feel I am just swapping out for color to get the same style again and close to $600 as want a deep two bowl with one larger bowl. I seem to get too matchy matchy at times and the thought of a stainless sink makes me think cool and contemporary. Probably because the infamous blue sink was more or less the centerpiece of he downhome county kitchen I am overthinking it. (Me, overthink?!)

I have kitchen on the brain and turned on the tv this morning and it was a QVC kitchen show demonstrating a colander and draining pasta into the stainless steel sink on the set!! I thought hey, how about a stainless sink since hopefully this is my forever kitchen. What color faucet would I use and can a sink be undermounted in formica? I don't think so but will ask my counter guy who is coming by this week.

I am finally having fun and this color scheme seems right all the way around. The valance should come today and hopefully I can make the final floor and paint selection this weekend. I am seriously considering paying a colorist to come by and help with the paint color. Heck, I have spent that much already on paint samples! Not to worry as I can mix all the neutrals together and will paint the stairway off the door in the kitchen leading to the basement.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    10 years ago

Take a look at the Kohler Vault series of SS sinks. They are drop-in/undermount and have a very thin profile where the edge rests on the counter. I'm looking at the one with the low divide, but there are several other configurations.
    The black plastic was a great idea and looks fabulous!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I would investigate the cost of using large format tile as a more upscale and durable countertop.

Here is a link that might be useful: tiled countertop

• abbycat9990
    10 years ago

Would you consider a black sink? In our last house, we had honed Basalt Slate Formica countertops, and a black "granite" sink by Pegasus (Blanco). I still miss that big, beautiful, single-bowl sink. Sigh. I bought it at HD in 2007 for
    Listing photo:

We now have an white acrylic farmhouse style that is scratching and dulling at an alarming rate. It "pops" next to the dark granite-look laminate, but, I really hate the combination and am plotting a complete re-do.

The dark counter tops will definitely suck up light, so do consider more lighting. I feel your wallpaper removal pain. Last house was a huge removal project. When we were house-hunting last spring, "no wallpaper" was top of our list of must haves ;)

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

May flower, that tiled counter is beautiful! I really see that as fragile if something were to be dropped on it. Not sure I would want to have to worry about it.

Junco, I will check out those sinks. What color faucet would I use with a stainless sink if sticking with darkish black and gold cabinet hardware. (don't want to change out the brass hinges and leaded glass in top cabinet is gold tone).

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Rectified porcelain tile is very durable. You can also use black granite tiles. Some of the black granites are said to be very dense.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Tinker, Mayflowers is a professional and knows her materials. I'm a formica fan also but have heard that it does not have the durability now as in years past, that the surface dulls in worn areas. You may want to ask her about this or research the issue on this forum. However, I really do like your formica selection.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mayflower, per the link you posted I was pleasantly surprised to read how inexpensively they did that beautiful counter.

My goal here is not to break the bank as the market in this area not great and hopefully this redo will be the last and I like what I saw with the 24" square tiles and would surely last a long time.

Can I assume that they could over my existing formica a sink could be undermounted if 24" porcelain or granite tiles are used I would love and undermounted sink and what material other than SS?

Thanks for the idea and I will look for a source to check out the tiles. I still am working with that last color scheme with the valance and think I want a dark counter. Would that be easier to achieve with 24: granite tiles than porcelain?

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doing my research and liking what I read about tile counters. They are so much more classy than laminate and if old fashioned, so be it as this house IS old.

Labor would be most of the cost and could this go over my formica? New formica involves the material which I estimate to be $180, plus new wood base, cost unknown and then the labor.

I am excited about this and any and all examples, color ideas appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: More info on tiled counters

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

You can DIY the counters.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

No, I'm not a professional, but Bill Vincent, who posted in your link, is a master craftsman who now posts on the John Bridges forum. It would be worth your while to post over there. Do you have a good tile store in your area with knowledgeable sales people?

I think it's a better choice if you're going to do a tiled backsplash.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to stop at a tile store tomorrow as think this is a great idea. We used to be DIYers and did tons of work to this little house but don't have the patience for it. It is a miracle in itself that I got the wall paper off!

I am not aware of that forum and will check it out and thanks to Bill (screenname?) and all who are guiding me. I surely need it! Running out of space on Part II.