Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warmfridge

How do you store your skillets?

warmfridge
14 years ago

Another storage question: How do you store your skillets? In a pullout? Nested in a drawer? What has worked for you and what hasn't?

Comments (14)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

In the bottom drawer under my rangetop. I do nest them. In previous homes I had them in the bottom drawer of the 30" electric range with the rest of my pots and pans, or in a corner cabinet. The nice, wide drawers (36") under the rangetop are the best yet.

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

OMG, I love those hooks! What an awesome idea!

Mine are in pull out shelves under my cooktop. Had I found GW before our remodel, I would have done two drawers rather than doors and pull outs. My one regret in our remodel.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I nest them in a pull-out cabinet like Nhbaskets' pic above. I too would have preferred deep drawers, but didn't know at the time. Having said that, I don't feel like it's so bad or a big regret not to have the drawers.

Also, when I renovated, I decluttered, and got rid of a lot of duplicate skillets and saucepans (e.g., I had 4 3-quart saucepans, and other similar what-was-I-thinking duplications). That made storing what was left easier. Another thing I did that I learned on this forum was to go to the Dollar Store and buy some round cloth trivets for $1 each, and place one between each fry pan. A cheap and easy way to avoid any scratching that could arise from nesting the pans.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Loves2cook4six, I have your cabinet hook photo as one of my inspiration pics when we were planning. :) Fabulous! We didn't have enough upper cabinet space to pull it off, but I love it nonetheless.

Mine are nested in a deep drawer under the cooktop. Easy on the back.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

That is gorgeous, Loves2cook. Most of mine are cast iron...Don't think I'd want to lift them into an upper cab, and at 12+" and 15 1/2" they'd be too wide.

This doesn't show the skillets too well, and it was before I got 3 of those I have, but it's the only photo I have right now:

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, that cupboard with the hangers is amazing. Unfortunately, I don't have room for something like that. Seems like the next favorite storage solution is large drawers.

• datura-07
    14 years ago

loves2cook4six,

That is a fabulous design. Everything looks so organized. Those hooks are really neat. Can I ask where you got them. My son wants to hang two pans on the inside of his island (open area) and those would be perfect.

• PoorOwner
    14 years ago

In terms of skillet I only have 3 sizes and one cast iron so they don't take alot of storage. Most of my pots and pans are stored in the corner cabinet with lazy susan. I try not to nest my pots because I don't want the fumble around to get what we need. I am about maxed out on the pans storage luckily I already have all the pans I needed except the Woks are too big and get stored in the storage room :)

Heavier pots are stored in the drawers under the cooktop.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. The pot rack and hooks are/were from the container store but I couldn't find them when I did a quick look. Did find it at stacks and stacks, see link below. You could cut it down to fit. I am pretty sure we did.

We took the hooks that were used for suspension and flipped them down to hold extra pots. The whole was then bolted to the underside of a shelf which sits on shelf supports. If we ever want to, we can take the pans out the cupboard and add extra shelves.

Those are 15" uppers and the big pan on the far left is a 15" skillet. It hangs at a slight angle so it will fit in the cupboard with the door closed

Here is a link that might be useful: Pot rack

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Poorowner, that is an impressive lazy Susan. What brand is that?

• PoorOwner
    14 years ago

That's my ikea one so it fits the cabinet nicely, no problems with it. Maybe Lee Valley or other places has something even better.

• studio460
    14 years ago

I'm so impatient when I want to start cooking something that I just like to hang as much stuff as I can (larger pans are in a 36" drawer beneath the cooktop) . . .

{{gwi:1573201}}

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

The pullout cabinet on the other side of the range also has skillet storage, only the dividers are placed front to back for broiler pans and really big skillets.

These pullouts are one of my favorite storage solutions. We had to allow enough ventilation below the two cooktops (induction hob and teppanyaki griddle/grill), and this does the trick.