Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Old counter is 1 3/4" thick--How to replace & use old backsplash

julieste
11 years ago

Well, I am seeing the mushrooming effect of one project creating havoc and problems with another.

Here is my dilemma. I want new countertops (originally thinking soapstone but now also contemplating other possibilities--no granite though), so we decided to first buy a new range so that it would be in place to cut new countertops around. The new range is being delivered Monday, and my husband just started to pull the old one out to do some preparation for installation of the new one.

I knew our counters seemed higher than standard, but now seeing the range cutout I understand why. When we did the kitchen nearly twenty years ago I tiled the counters myself after a carpenter installed the bases for us. The carpenter put cement backer board on top of the plywood counter base. With the tile on top of these two things, the total thickness is 1 3/4".

I have white subway tile backsplashes that I still like and want to keep. But, now I have figured out that any countertop I install is going to have a huge gap between the top and the bottom of the backsplash.

Does anyone have any ideas? I do not know how we will deal with that gap because no countertops today are this thick.

Comments (6)