Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onedog3cats_gw

Need help with backsplash (long with pics)

onedog3cats
13 years ago

We just completed our mini makeover in our kitchen. Eventually we will do a complete kitchen renovation (including relocating plumbing and moving walls, etc)

I am stuck on what to do with the backsplash. We already have 4" backsplash that matches the perimeter counter cut and ready to install. But I'm bored with that. We have that in our bathroom and at our bar, and I'd like something different.

I found 1" glass mosaic tiles that have all of the colors of our kitchen. But I also like the look of the subway tiles with two or three rows of the 1" tiles.

I'm just worried that the glass tile might be too busy for our countertops. Plus, we just did something similar in our bathroom which is right off of the kitchen. Not sure if it would be too much of the same thing, even though they are different styles/colors. The bathroom tiles are glass tiles.

If we did the subway tiles with the 1" tiles, I don't know at what height I should do the rows of the 1" tiles. I would like to see them under the windowsill, but I think that would be too low.

And the other problem is our wall cabinet doesn't match up with the countertop. So I don't know how to end the backsplash.

Here are a couple more pictures of our kitchen. It really isn't as dark as it looks. My camera wasn't cooperating.

Kitchen details:

Counters:

Island - Staron Solid Surface "Radiance"

Perimeter - Staron Solid Surface "Glimmer"

Sink - Blanco 440179 - Anthracite

Faucet - Delta Pilar Featuring Touch20 (#980T-RBSD-DST) (faucet-warehouse.com)

Lights (lightingdirect.com)

Island Pendants - Kichler 2665 Olde Bronze

Above Table - Quoizel MY1613

Cooktop - Jennair 30" Electric Radiant with Electronic Touch Control/Downdraft

Ovens - Electrolux with IQ-Touch Controls

Floor - Konecto "Safari Collection" color Sahara

Paint - Porter PPG, Foxfire Brown

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: More Kitchen Pictures

Comments (10)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I agree a thin row or 2 would be better, esp with a similar bathroom nearby. You can have it just below your window and go along at that height the rest of the way.

I'd line up the end of the bs with the end of the counter and with the switchplate. If you have bullnose liners to coordinate with the subways, that would look very polished as an edge tile for sides and top.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

What you've done so far looks great! Bathroom too.

I'm confused, you say: "We already have 4" backsplash that matches the perimeter counter cut and ready to install. But I'm bored with that. We have that in our bathroom and at our bar, and I'd like something different."

Do you mean you have 4" of glimmer cut and are bored with that, but I don't see that in the bath, or are you talking about being bored with the glass tile in the bathroom and don't want the same thing? Is the glass tile you're showing in the kitchen different than the bathroom? If so why not pick something completely different?

Hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but is the wall space under the microwave equal to or higher than the wall space under the window? If it's the same you could end the backsplash at that level, but if there is just a few inches more under the micro you'll probably do better with a full backsplash.

If that is the same time from the bathroom; do you have enough of it that you could tape a lot of it on the wall to see how it looks?

Sorry more questions than answers!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Here are a few ways to end the tile run.
    ~boxer

Schulte Red Edge
    {{!gwi}}

Brown Edge
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Buckhannon brothers glass tile co.

Tampa Orlando Winter Springs
    {{!gwi}}

Notice how they handled the end of the tile and wall to
    keep it balanced. You could try this.

Kitchen Clarity

• onedog3cats
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing those pics boxerpups! It is helpful seeing what others have done.

island....I didn't explain that very well did I :). We have a small commercial cabinet shop, and our guys already cut the 4" backsplash in Glimmer since that is what we usually do. We did the 4 or 5" backsplash of the same countertop in the rest of the bathrooms in our house and our wet bar. So that is what I'm bored with :)

The glass tile in the bathroom is different from the glass tile I like for the kitchen. The bathroom looks like glass and you could kind of see through it before we installed it. The kitchen tile is more solid all the way through in that you can't see through it. Hope that makes sense!!

Here is the bathroom tile. The dark color is brown..it kind of looks purple in the pic!

The tiles come on a 12x12 sheet and I have two of them. I may put them on cardboard and tape it on the wall.

The wall space under the microwave cabinet is taller than what is at the windowsill.

dianalo...that is what I'm leaning toward. But DH likes just the tiles. I just don't want it to seem that we "overdid" the 1" glass tiles.

• onedog3cats
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping this up for any other opinions :)

Also have another question. What kind of travertine do people use for their backsplash? Is it just sealed really good?? We have travertine in our basement, and I can't imagine trying to clean up red sauce if it spilled on the floor!! Just thinking about cleaning at the sink. Not worried about me...worried about DH cleaning at the sink ;) I don't want to worry about staining the backsplash.

Thanks in advance!!

• nanj
    13 years ago

We have a 4-inch backsplash of Corian which matches the countertops. We added Bisazza mosaic tile above that 4 inch Corian. I love the way the light bounces off the mosaic tile and you can see the sparkles in it. Our installer ended the tile run with marble pencil trim that coordinates with the field tile. We have a small space under the window like you do. Between the 4-inch Corian and the window we did all mosaic tile - 5 rows.

From Backsplash
    From Backsplash

The next photo is my sister's limestone backsplash. It is just BEAUTIFUL. The limestone is sealed but not enhanced - I think I am right on this. The limestone is Luxor Gold from Home Depot with Vidrepur mosaic tiles, Meadow, from Cool Tiles.

From Backsplash

• susanka
    13 years ago

1dog3cats, we installed a tumbled trav backsplash about six months ago. Our contractor used a urethane grout which went over the whole thing, and filled in the holes in the trav. We love it. It's supposed to keep the trav from ever staining, and so far it sure does. I'm a pretty messy cook, and spots just wipes off with water; no problems or staining at all. I can't remember the brand we used, but if you google urethane grout you'll find lots of info about it. Here's a photo.

• susanka
    13 years ago

I forgot to say that urethane grout is, I believe, somewhat new on the market, and has the reputation of being very hard to work with (it sets faster, I think). You'd need to make sure you have a contractor who's comfortable with this product and knows what he's doing. It's also more expensive.

• onedog3cats
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nanj, love your backsplash!! That looks great! Never thought about doing the 4" backsplash to match countertop and something else above it! Hmmmm....something to think about. Your sister's bs looks great as well. Both are exactly what I was considering. Thanks for sharing!!

Susanka, thanks for the info about the urethane grout. Will definitely look that up online. Glad to hear that you haven't had any staining. I really love the look of your bs too!! I hate making these decisions!!

• onedog3cats
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nanj...do you have a picture of under your window?? I like that idea. But we have about 5 or 6" of wall between the window and microwave cabinet. Wondering how I would handle that. Curious what yours looks like.

Thank you :)