Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diginthedirt17

Wilsonart Oiled Soapstone - edging and backsplash help please!!

diginthedirt17
14 years ago

Hello,

We're updating our small kitchen with a mini-cosmetic makeover - namely paint and new countertops.

I'd like to get the Wilsonsart Oiled Soapstone countertops but could use your advice on a few things:

Integrated backsplash or no backsplash? The cost to have no backsplash is significantly more...is it worth it to achiever the look?

Secondly, the only edges offered without the backsplash are beveled (don't like) and self (standard looking counter, not rounded). Is that dated?

We have an L-shaped kitchen with a small center island. The island has black beadboard on it and we're going to top it with a butcherblock. I'd like to add off-white subway tiles too. We have oak floors and ugly builder grade oak cabs with nickel hardware.

The kids are getting off the bus...I'll add a picture in a little while! Thanks for any advice you have about the edges and backsplash.

*****does anyone have a photo of these counters or similar (Basalt Slate?) with oak cabinets? They all seem to be used with white/cream cabinets. :)

Comments (5)

• decor8for2
    14 years ago

Do you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you. I recently had WA Oiled Soapstone priced out at 11.00 per square foot no up charge for leaving off the backsplash and increasing depth to 26", and my choice of edges from 4.00-7.00 per running foot. The 2 standard egdes were free. Maybe your price is cheaper, but I would hate to see anyone pay more for leaving the backsplash off.

• cj47
    14 years ago

I don't know about Lowe's but our Home Depot no longer has the precut pieces of Basalt Slate sitting around. I went over there specifically to look at it and was told that they don't have them anymore. You might want to call ahead.

• diginthedirt17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

$11/sq. foot! I hope that's without installation - our HD was $24/sq foot + anywhwhere from $7-10 for the custom edges...but that's with installation. I didn't get the price without yet.

I think it's worth it to get it without the backsplash - especially if I'm trying to get a "soapstone" look.

• User
    14 years ago

What you want to have priced out is a Single Roll Bartop in a 26" size (comes in 30" also if you're going for deeper counters). Anyone who orders even a couple of laminate countertops and reads the specs should know that, but unfortunately, big boxes don't always have the brightest bulbs. That's a "regular" countertop with only one postformed edge. There is no backsplash, just an unfinished back edge. Because it's postformed, it can come in any of the postformed edges and doesn't have to be a custom edge like the square of bevel---which to confuse you further can also be postformed but are typically field created for a larger profit margin. A post formed edge counter is one "manufactured" by a large distrubutor in a facility with heat and pressure to create a rounded type edge. It's purchased locally in "blanks" to be fabricated by local fabricators. They are the preformed counters you see in most big boxes, but come in many more colors and edges than your typical big box carries. The two big players in the industry are Hartson-Kennedy and and VT Industries.

For the Wilsonart product in a special order color (most colors) with no installation, you should be looking at around $8-15 a square foot, depending on which edge you choose. If you have a tricky kitchen, like a U shaped one where the middle needs to fit exactly, or have a drop in range or other specialty cutout or angle, or a bartop peninsula meeting a regular top it's worth it to get the countertops measured and installed by a professional. For most any other type of simple kitchen with maybe a 90° angle or two, DIY makes sense if you can measure accurately.

• decor8for2
    14 years ago

I just ordered Wilsonart Luna Night HD for 25.00 sq foot installed with a double roundover edge, no backsplash. For the longest time I was torn between OS and Baltic Slate. The Luna Night is close to both of them but with the shiny HD look and texture.