Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdnmuminpa

Foot pedal modification for KraftMaid - pic heavy

cdnmuminpa
15 years ago

After doing a ton of research on this forum I decided to splurge and buy the Hafele foot pedal to open our 18" trash/recycle pull-out by KraftMaid. I consulted my DH (who would be doing the install) and he said it should be no problem with some modification.

We used the Hafele 502.15.220 designed for pails that hang from a rail. Of course it had to be the more expensive one at $59.00.

We studied the instructions and pictures posted by metoo2 and another post of hints and tips by lowspark (I think). In case anyone else is interested I thought I would post our solution.

The cabinet is face framed and there is a pre-drilled hinge hole at the bottom of the door interior.

Had to fill the hole in order to attach the steel plate.

You could use a piece of dowel the right diameter or use a hole saw and a scrap of wood. Caution should be taken as the hinge holes could be metric - some adjustment for sizing might have to be made.

Measure the depth of the hinge hole to determine the thickness of the plug.

Using the table saw to cut the plug.

Plug inserted into existing pre-drilled hinge hole and glued with carpenters glue.

Plate ready to be attached to cabinet door.

Picture shows how the rail is mounted in the cabinet. The bungee is supposed to be hooked to the back of the carriage but the mount blocks any access for it.

Offending rail bracket from another angle.

Solution: added an eye screw 7 1/2 inches from the back of the frame (ymmv) on either side. This allows the bungees to open the cabinet door exposing the garbage can in front and part of the recycling can in the back. Adjust to your liking.

Bungee attached to eye screw at top and the base plate at bottom. Notice it clears the offending bracket.

Bungee attached and trash bucket in place.

Left base bracket installed near the front of the cabinet.

No other modifications were necessary with the exception of using longer bolts to mount the foot pedal on the face frame. Just follow the pictograms that come with it.

Thanks to the hard work of my DH, I am now gleefully opening my trash/recycle cabinet hands free and it is worth every penny!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022