Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colibri5

Finished Kitchen-Lots of Pictures

colibri5
14 years ago

A huge thank you for all of the advice and inspiration provided by so many of you. Special thanks go to Kevin at AZ Stone Consulting and Bill Vincent for advice on tile and granite issues. My two great inspirations for decorating details were Lovestocookforsix and Lynninnewmexico. Thank you so much for providing details and photos of your beautiful kitchens!

I spent countless hours pouring over photos of finished kitchens here, and now I want to share my space with those who helped me and those who I might help as well.

Here are the details:

Cabinets: Custom made maple, Buttermilk stain (one shade darker than natural). Island has a black glaze over the stain.

Granite: Juparana Crema Bordeaux with Black Galaxy on desk. All granite with beveled edge.

Backsplash: 1x2" tumbled travertine brick mosaic with SGM 127 sanded grout. Color: Beach

Flooring: Rapalano 20x20" rectified porcelain set in diagonal. Grout color: Light Smoke

Lighting: Pendants: Murray Feiss Parker Place, white opal etched glass for island and brushed steel over sink. Under cabinets: GE Slimline fluorescent with warm white bulbs (great bang for the buck! We would never dim these lights so no need to pay more, plus they stay nice and cool)

Faucet: Hansgrohe Talis S

Pulls and Knobs: Jeffrey Alexander Milan collection in satin nickel. One Soko Manhandle in stainless steel.

Drawer Slides: Accuride side-mount, full-extension with soft close. Wonderful!

Appliances: All were existing and include a Bosch dishwasher, LG refrigerator, Panasonic microwave and Jenn-Air slide-in range.

Special features: appliance garage, spice pullouts, tray storage drawer, pantry storage drawers for canned goods.

Favorite features: large drawers instead of base cabinets (except under sink and beverage storage cabinet), tray storage, pantry drawers and pullouts

Before:

After:

Pantry and refrigerator wall:

Sink area and pendant lighting:

Desk:

Appliance garage:

Tray storage drawer (I opted for this over a trash pullout and love it!):

Upper pantry area:

Lower pantry-storagedrawers for canned goods (need to get dividers!):

Spice pullouts:

Bowls, pasta bowl, even canisters fit in drawers:

Love my in-drawer knife storage-Henckels from Amazon:

Beverage storage cabinet includes a basket for storing onions, garlic, etc.:

Comments (34)

• melinrk
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful...very well done.

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I'm going to look more in depth later when more time, but it looks like a great job! Congratulations!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Very nice!!! Enjoy!

• cheri127
    14 years ago

What a great kitchen. The would love to have all that customized storage!!!! I really like the backsplash, too. Enjoy!

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Wow, beautiful and I love your canned goods storage!!! Congrats and Enjoy!

Kat :)

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I especially love the wood of your cabinets and the backsplash! Enjoy!!

• colorado_mom
    14 years ago

What - get rid of the Longaberger Fruit Medley??? Say it isn't so :) Just kidding!

Love your new kitchen - congrats!! Oh, and I think I spot a Medium Key?? Whew - that was close.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Love it but then you shouldn't be surprised because it reminds me a little of mine :)

Love your little guy. I thought that was the fridge but then see it's the pantry.

And the can storage - very nice and similar to mine. DH used drawer divider from Lee Valley and plywood to make the dividers for my drawers. Cost about $20 and fits exactly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley dividers

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

I love that you have a place for everything! And those pendants are lovely. Congrats!

• pudgybaby
    14 years ago

It's beautiful - such a transformation! Your cabinet maker did a beautiful job! Frameless, too.

I LOVE your pantry. I am getting ready to order cabs, with one or two similar to yours. If you don't mind sharing some details, I would really appreciate it. How wide is it? Do you know how wide the pullout shelves are? Do you like 4 pullouts in the upper pantry - I can't decide if I should do 3 or 4 pullout.

Congrats on your gorgeous new kitchen!

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Love the little guy on the pantry! A very unexcepted original touch - LOVE HIM!
    Very well organized! Love the granite. Enjoy it. and Congrats!

• colibri5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of your kind comments!

lovestocookforsix: no doubt about it, your cabinets are my all-time favorites! What a fabulous job you did in designing them! I am really happy with mine, too. The work on them is exquisite. I showed your pic of the pantry drawers to my cabinet guy and told him I wanted something like yours, and he said no problem. Your photo was indispensable, thanks! And it's all your fault that I ended up with a Manhandle, too, lol! DH will never know what he cost! I did manage to get a 25% discount from a local vendor, though. And thanks for the link to Lee Valley Tools. I'll look into it the dividers. Should be easy to do.

colorado_mom: Wow you have a good eye! It was indeed the Longaberger Fruit Medley wallpaper border! I don't miss it a bit! Also, I believe you are correct- that is a Med. Key basket I use as a napkin holder. You must be a Longaberger fan, maybe even a distributor. Thanks for the laugh!

Pudgybaby, about the pantry. It is 30" wide and the pullouts are about 25.5" wide. I was indecisive like you about the number of pullouts but am really glad to have the extra one. There is plenty of height between each pullout to fit all of my storage items. The few really tall things are on the top (fixed) shelf, which has more clearance. I even store my air popcorn popper and coffee carafe in the back of the top shelf.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

beautiful kitchen! love the cabs (very sleek) - and their innards! I love pics of cabinet innards - lol! how are the pop (soda)bottles on that slide out? do they stay standing when you pull it out or do any wobble over? I want to do something like that for my pop bottles and water jugs - was thinking more of a drawer tho.

loves2cook4six - you're the one with those can good drawers I love and have a pic of in my folder. I think that is a great way to store them (as does the OP obviously). I also love your drawer handles - do you remember who made them or where you bought them? thx.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I love your granite, the style of your cabinets, and the large rectified Porcelain Tiles. An Amazing transformation with that little guy on the door knob just adorable! Thanks for sharing.

• dvdre
    14 years ago

Impressive on all levels, but the storage is genius.

• janwad
    14 years ago

Beautiful combination of materials and a fabulous attention to detail. I'd love to buy a house with that kitchen in it!

Good job! That beauty is going to last a long time and not look dated. The little touch of humor is so perfect. This should inspire people to step outside the safe black and white that seems so overdone.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Love the use of two granites that look fabulous with the cabinets. Ha, loves2cook4six is responsible for the manhandles that are going on my pantry. She's a trend setter. Enjoy your new and beautiful space.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Really nice and airy and lightens up the room tremendously. I especially love the pendant lights--VERY pretty!

• mandolynn77
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful, but my favorite thing is the handle on the pantry. He is just the coolest thing!

• prill
    14 years ago

Wonderful job. Lots of great storage. Love the granite and your cabinets are lovely. Enjoy!

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Simply gorgeous!! Everything looks perfect. I think my favorite thing is the manhandle on the pantry. What a splurge....but SO worth it!! I bet everyone who sees it comments on it.

• marmoreus
    14 years ago

Looks very pretty and I am impressed by all of your thoughtful planning of your storage. Very organized!

• colibri5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Desertsteph, I have had no problem with the bottles falling over when I use the pull-out. It works fine for me. I think a drawer would be great for the soda pop and water bottles, just make sure it is deep enough for the bottles to stand up. I would have used a drawer myself but could not make one deep enough in that part of my kitchen.

My water bottles on the pull-out are shorter so they fit under the half shelf at the back of the cabinet, but the soda bottles are too tall to go back there. So, I keep any open soda bottles in the front part of the pull-out and the unopened ones are stored on their sides on top of the half shelf above. Where there is a will, there is a way!

• judydel
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen . . . so bright and airy. Love your tile and granite choices. Cute "manhandle" too! Congratulations and happy cooking : )

• pajamanyc
    14 years ago

Wonderful ideas for storage! So thoughtfully planned. And a beautiful kitchen overall. Job well done.

P.S. Hope you don't mind me stealing some of your ideas!

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

Wow what a transformation. You must be so happy. I love your pendants and lighting. Enjoy!

• malhgold
    14 years ago

What a big difference! You did a great job. As others have said, the creativity with the storage is amazing. Congratulations and enjoy!

• beth
    14 years ago

I'm adding this to my favorites. Your detailed photos are an inspiration. What a great set-up. Your cabinets and countertops are wonderful - BUT aren't you going to miss that grey formica????? Not even a little bit? Just kidding. Congratulations. And many thanks for sharing.

• arkansaswifey
    14 years ago

Nicely done! I was wondering, how do you like cooking on your range in its location? We're thinking about putting our range in our island and my husband is concerned about it. Have you had any problems? Do you have a vent?

• plumberry
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting so many wonderful photos. CAn you give me the dimensions of your pantry. height, width and depth.
    Also, is that an induction stove top?
    thanks! pb

• colibri5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, who knew my Manhandle would be so popular? I love having a little bit of humor in the room, and he certainly provides it! Having just one makes a statement, and the splurge was well worth it! And the owl sculpture over the desk made by DD is another whimsical touch. I had a lot of fun decorating.

Plumberry, here are the pantry dimensions: 53.5"h x 29"w x 23 1/4"d. My range does not have an induction cooktop - they probably did not exist when I bought it over 12 years ago. But I would seriously consider one for my next range. That would be great!

Arkansaswifey, my range has always been in the island, that is how my house was built. The Jenn-Air range has a downdraft vent which goes under the foundation of the house (great way for ants to get in the house, lol!). A downdraft vent is not the greatest, not terribly powerful, but for my needs it is fine. I do not fry a lot of food and have a very open kitchen. When I replaced the range years back I bought the Jenn-Air because it was the only downdraft range available, but I think there are other brands now (some have vents which pop up). Having the range on the island is very convenient, and I do all of my food prep on the island surface as well.

Pasture19, the grey formica is not missed at all, but I do have fond memories of the previous formica...not! When we bought the house the counters were fleshy pink! Revolting!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

That is beautiful and so well organized...it is an inspiration.

Ahhhh formica...especially wonderful when edged in stainless steel...LOL. Can't believe I bought a repo formica dinette, I can't seem to get away from it.

• starpooh
    14 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? Please submit the FKB Checklist to give your permission.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• azmelt
    14 years ago

This is a great kitchen! I stole some of your storage ideas (shallow pull-out's for canned goods) just before we ordered our cabinets on Friday! I think it will be an efficient way to maximize my pantry space. Thanks!