Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uneven countertop heights & subway tile

Posted by dbm451 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 16:18

I searched for a thread mirroring our situation, but could only find one where the tile line would end at an uneven ceiling. Our problem is that our cabinet heights are uneven on either side of the range (by 1/2") and we're trying to decide whether to start w/2 1/2" high tiles to the rt of the stovetop (to maintain the tile line going around the corner) or start w/whole tiles and fudge the grout lines as we go up. I don't see how adjusting spacing going across wouldn't be MORE obvious than starting w/shorter tiles on the higher countertop. The range is level, but the window sill isn't (as w/most of the kitchen- due to old house settling and poor DIY cabinet installation by the previous owners).

We're also considering a solid/no-line backsplash- such as a white backpainted glass or acrylic. Anything too busy would compete for interest w/the countertops, no?

I'll post a couple more images. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uneven countertop heights & subway tile

... another angle

o

... and a wider view.

o

Fix the problem instead of the symptom. Level the cabinets. I'm really really surprised that anyone would install stone on top of that. Most stone pros wouldn't.

o

DBM451:

I agree completely with hollysprings.

It looks like these cabinets may be older built-ins. If that's the case you can run continuous shims on top of the lower cabinet to bring it to level with the high one.

You may have to install molding to cover the shims, but the difference in the distance from the drawer tops to the molding will be much less conspicuous than the stove sides being off and the impossibility of level tile as existing.

o

Thanks. By running continuous shims, are you talking about REMOVING the countertop, shimming, and re-installing the stone? The stone installer already ran shims all over the place and all corners of the base cabinets were so off (by an inch in some spots) that they did what they could do. The higher corner section is now level, but the side on the left was so much lower, the shims & caulk are nearly 3/4" bet cabinet tops and stone.

They installers weren't the same guys who did the template, so the installers were shocked at how unlevel it all was. I figured the cost would be way too high to have the cabinets leveled, so as long as the countertops were level... Then, I noticed the height difference on either side of the range.

o

dbm451:

They did not do everything they could do or the tops would be level. The installers had a choice. They could have told you the extent of your cabinet problems and let you evaluate whether or not to have the cabinets properly leveled with the understanding that you would incur an additional trip charge.

Or, they could have shimmed the tops to level and let you wrestle with how you would cover the shims.

They did neither.

o

If these are full boxes and not stick built in place I would consider shimming the left hand one up from the bottom toe-kick area and reinstalling it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here