Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmieb_gw

Backsplash Help

kimmieb
14 years ago

I am trying to decide what backsplash to chose. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking mini marble subway or this other sample I got off ebay (pic below) which is called Carrara White Marble Small - Bread 3D Polished Mesh Mosaic Tiles. But, DD says no too much marble so I am a little confused and what does a 13 year old really know anyway but, maybe she is right.

Countertops are honed Crystal Carrera marble, perimeter cabinets are Farrow & Ball Lime White (so there is some contrast there, it's a creamy off white). The island is Farrow & Ball Light Blue.

Here are some in progress photos:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Kimmieb,

I agree with your DD in thinking that you have plenty of marble already. But if you want marble still, then I believe your alternating bread puffs helps to break up the long white marble look that you have going.

Like to suggest something that is linear with soft gray tones or possibly a mosaic blend with black in it for a little pop! Or possibly something that brings up one of the colors in your floor into the mix.

Good Luck!

• gglks
    14 years ago

i don't think it is too much marble. one of my favorite kitchens (rmkitchen) have marble counters and marble slab backsplash. it's gorgeous. try looking it up on the fkb.....i also love your raised backsplash! looks very similar to mine.

• megpie77
    14 years ago

You have done a wonderful job. I love marble (hubby wouldn't let me have it ). I really like the look of marble counters and marble backsplash, however, I think the sample you have might be a bit busy. And how would you like cleaning it behind the stove? This is just my opinion but I think it would be more "wow" if you had marble slab backsplash or even 4x12 subways, or any subway for that matter. If it's the texture your after have you concidered the "bricks and sticks" style? Not sure if that is what it is technically called but it's like Robinst's backsplash (link below) It would also help if you could give us great big pictures... well, at least it helps for me.
    Now on the flip side of things, and not to confuse you, but you should go with your gut. For instance, I like white subway but people keep steering me away from it. And now months later after no backsplash it's what I keep coming back to. If this is what "sings" to you and you've loved it from the beginning then by all means do it.
    I would love to see more and bigger pics if you can. It looks great!

Here is a link that might be useful: robinst's backsplash

• User
    14 years ago

This thread is why I love this forum, 3 answers all different points of view! I have to agree with gglks though, it is a lot of marble, I'd take the opportunity with the backsplash to add some contrast to help make the other elements pop a bit more. The gray that gglks suggests sounds lovely.

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for great answers.

Earthpal and Lurkiirish tell me more... can you post some examples of what types of mosiacs or other backsplashes please. I am not good with the details part. Can't' visual things...

I would have loved to continue the slab but, another slab wasn't in the budget.

megpie Datile plain brick subway is definitely something I am considering but, since that is the safe bet, I wanted to see what you creative people came up with on this wonderful forum. The issue I have with the brick pattern is that this kitchen is long and the uppers are not very high up. I was thinking that a brick pattern might make it even more horizontal looking? Does that make sense. Like bring it down to look even small under there?/

I got some marble subway from Home Depot but, the irregular patterns bothered me. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg. On an unlimited budget i would put in Ann Sacks crackle tile and am considering the Rixi tile that so many are talking about on here lately. Haven't seen it in person.

I found the puffy basketweave on Ebay and ordered a sample. It is pretty and I was thinking it would add some depth. Forgot about cleaning it though. You are right. Maybe I could use something different on the back of the stove area.

I want to do something right there where the stove is because it is so small but, as this is DIY and I can't spend money right now, I'm going to live with it as is and add a vent hood somehow and new cooktop when budget allows.

It's hard working around what you have and not starting over with the dream kitchen. Alas, the architects plans and the decorate are all not in the picture anymore for all sorts of reasons. Oh to have that money back I spent on the architect (but that's another story)
    Here are some inspiration pics but, I have no idea what type or brand of tile they are. Any guesses or thoughts on these?

So many choices I get overwhelmed.

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1529225}}

#2 or perhaps mini subway brick ??
    {{!gwi}}

#3 check this one out (yeah right but, isn't this fine?)
    {{!gwi}}

#4 Anyone know how this is done? Pretty cool
    {{!gwi}}

# five How about this tile? What is it?

{{!gwi}} it?

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I love the blue, and think that would look wonderful -- if you can find the right blue...

What about a beadboard backsplash in the same blue as your island? Practical, not more marble, consistent with your design, and even budget friendly.

There are also tile-makers who can color-match. So if you send them your blue, they can come back with something matching or harmonious...

• sis2two
    14 years ago

Definitely number 1 in my opinion! It really is beautiful. Good luck.

• megpie77
    14 years ago

There is a link below to what I think might be the same tile as the first pic. I love it! It is so fun and unique. It looks like pic 5 is clear glass subway. Very pretty.

I understand what you mean about your kitchen being horizontal. I think it's all about personal preference, as I prefer the concistency of horizontal lines. I think white subway would be so subtle, and classic, that the horizontal lines would flow. I don't think a white subway would bring it down but rather brighten and open it up and give it a feeling of "space" as in your inspirational pic. However, like you I love many different styles. Sweeby made a great suggestion:If you want to break up the horizontal line then beadboard would look great. Beadboard goes great with marble.

Good luck! I love your inspirational pics. I'm thinking the last one for my kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: beveled arabesque

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much to think about. I really appreciate your input.

• gglks
    14 years ago

i used a raised basketweave (but only behind my cooktop). it is called alabaster with ming green dot.....i don't have a problem with cleaning....although i am a fairly neat cook, don't do a lot of greasing cooking....and it seems like anything that is really splattering, i keep on the front burners anyway......

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Love, love, love #1. Did I mention love? The marble is pretty. Very, very pretty. And I don't think you could go wrong if you did marble. But you've introduced a really pretty blue in your island, and I think it would be more interesting, individual, etc. if you did #1 or any backsplash/accent that echoed your island.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

here's a little bit of contrast

{{!gwi}}

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Oooh, weidiii, do you mind sharing what that backsplash is? I was thinking of doing mixed tiles with Ann Sacks Capri, but was worried about too much color. Love your backsplash. Great texture and interest and some color (but not too much)!

• theresse
    14 years ago

I love Weidiii's backsplash - or even if you did just all one darker color like a charcoal or nondescript sand color (is it beige or grey? ;) I've been googling all night tonight - trying to come up with my own kitchen solutions - but all night I've been thinking about your dilemma since I read it earlier. I was thinking that I agree that it's too much white (just my opinion but I know others really like the white on white look) and that you need some contrast. This might sound nuts but what about some sort of stone slab backsplash like soapstone or a greyish granite backsplash - something charcoaly? Honed granite?

I'm considering one a colored ceramic subway tile that probably wouldn't look too great w/ marble (it's a peachy-beige sort of color w/ a gloss) but the company I'll get it from - if indeed I go that route and IF I can afford it - has a LOT of very inspiring materials from tile to slab. If you go to the link that I'll post below, be sure to check out different kinds of 2x6 or 3x6 tile but also check out their catolog. I just browsed through it and here's what I thought might look good with white marble:

p. 238 decorative stone: Lagos Azul (subway style). p. 196 brick mosaic noir. P. 190 honed slate mosaics - charcoal. And lastly, the tile floor (!) in the picture on p. 336 is half white marble and half this very nice solid sand color (more grey than beige). You could ask the company what that is and if they could have it either bigger or smaller (size-wise) for backsplash.

Another thought was that you could just not go up too far with a continuation of marble slab and then paint the rest? Or even some glass subway tile might look appropriate if you pick the right color. I was thinking that if you don't do more marble - or solid white subway tile - that you might want to avoid something too swirly cause then it will compete with the marble. But if you do either marble subway tile or white subway tile, I'd do white instead of marble. It will be too much of a good thing me thinks! Just my 2 cents - or is it 200 cents?? :)

Good luck!

http://www.walkerzanger.com/catalog/browse.php

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

I like weidii's suggestion.

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I'll let you know if I find anything else and or get anything.

• robynkf
    14 years ago

OMG - I totally know what choice number 1 is because I have those samples for my own backsplash and was wondering how it would look together - that is so weird - where did you find those pictures?? Is there a way to make them bigger?

The backplash is Walker Zanger - the detail behind the stove is the Vibe Ashbury in Blue Shadow from the looks of it! I'm so excited to see those pics!

• lucymullis
    14 years ago

Isn't walker zanger the company name? If so, what exactly is the backsplash? I want to find it...love it!

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Walker Zanger is the company lucymullis I'm going to order this week I think. It is the Vibe collection. The color is Blue Shadow Robynkf you are right. I am going to get the Moroccan as it is a little smaller than the Ashbury.