Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssnewbiegw

Opinions on Tile

M F
9 years ago

Good Afternoon everyone,
Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my message. I feel like I can not make one more decision….and as soon as I finalize 2 things we can be DONE!
We originally were debating refinishing our knotty pine cabinets or starting over. Thanks to a plumbing issue in an upstairs bathroom that decision was made for us…..But we could not have done it without Gardeweb!
I have it down to 2 tile choices +/- an accent and 2 oil rubbed bronze cabinet pull choices. We have glass pendants to hang over the island still, but otherwise here it is!
{{gwi:2135972}}
I plan to paint the area behind the toaster (Pale Smoke by BM). You can see a little of the color in the tile close ups and above the doorway. Pale grey with blue undertones.
Originally I wanted to do a lantern/arabesque tile, but couldn’t find anything that wasn’t $$$$ in a color that went with the countertops.
So I am down to this Jeffery Court Subway tile in Mountain mist (pale grey with a hint of taupe). It comes flat or beveled. Sorry, rainy day so not the best pictures ever.
{{gwi:2137059}}
{{gwi:2137060}}
{{gwi:2135977}}
{{gwi:2137061}}
{{gwi:2137062}}
1) So beveled or flat?
2) Should I end the tile at the counter and put pencil on the edge? Or go past the counter to the door frame?
3) Should I add in an accent tile behind the cooktop?
I like this stone and pewter tile, it would tie in the blues and browns and creams and greys. I could do a solid square or a frame or something else. But is it just too much going on? Wrong style? Too sparkly?

{{gwi:2135982}}

It comes in these patterns
{{gwi:2137063}}

I think this one is my favorite
{{gwi:2137064}}

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for taking the time to read this!

*Edited with new links to photos (hopefully I got them all back in the right spot)

This post was edited by ssnewbie on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 15:22

Comments (18)

• avntgardnr
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just typed a whole long thing and :::Poof::: it disappeared.

I'm a huge fan of a bevel tile (we're making the backsplash decision right now too...so difficult!). I like the one you chose.

I feel like the accent tile is a hard call...it's small, and I think prefer a larger accent tile in a picture frame over the stove. However, if you choose an accent tile like the ones you showed, you might want to switch to a plain (non bevel) tile. It looks like a really cool tile but your kitchen is fairly traditional, so it throws me off a little.

Good luck - backsplash has been my hardest decision yet!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I dislike beveled subways. They create a shadowed effect in the grout line. It repeats your door style so it's too much sameness.

I would tile the toaster area. It's your pretty focal area.

I love the first accent tile and could see it as part of a frame under the hood in conjunction with raised moldings. I would look for inspiration photos of under hood tile designs on Houzz. The busier pattern is too contemporary for your cabinets.

You'd typically stop tile at the upper cabinet. It's okay for an inch of countertop to not be tiled.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

agree with mayflowers about the bevel tile, i would do flat...

i probably would tile to the door frame.

as far as deco tile, i think what u have picked it gorgeous, but i feel its too small for the space behind cooktop... i would probably just do a different pattern with the subways....maybe herringbone...or a sheet of SS, which would be so much easier to clean than all that grout...

i would also tile the toaster area for the same reason as above...

• kassjs
    9 years ago

I really like the bevel tile - I think it adds good dimension to the backsplash. However, I'd go with a different pattern to break up the rectangles everywhere.

[{{gwi:2137066}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/sarah-richardson-design-traditional-kitchen-toronto-phvw-vp~5896168)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Toronto Photographers Stacey Brandford Photography

Also, I adore the accent tile you are holding. It would pair well with the subway laid traditionally; I thought this was an interesting idea:

[{{gwi:2137067}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/dc-row-home-kitchen-range-traditional-dc-metro-phvw-vp~88564)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Reston Design-Build Firms Synergy Design & Construction

I would stop tiling with the uppers. If you go to the doorway, my eye would want to follow it down that space between the cabinets and door.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I found a few Houzz photos. The first one is what I was thinking of as a subtle use of a square Lunada Bay mosaic. I do think you could use some color because otherwise it's a lot of white cabinets and gray tile. I love BM Pale Smoke--I'm considering Wales Gray for my bathroom, next one up the strip.

The second photo is an over-the-top application of the idea. I could find something prettier but I'm all Houzzed out while planning my bath remodel. You'd use traditional moldings for the frame and keep it simple because of your hood. The inside of the frame would use the same ceramic as the field tile but a more interesting shape or size. Maybe herringbone.

The third is marble mosaic that could be used instead of the Lunada Bay.

[{{gwi:2137068}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-northwest-bathroom-contemporary-bathroom-portland-phvw-vp~62901)

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by Portland Kitchen & Bath Designers Kirstin Havnaer, Hearthstone Interior Design, LLC

[{{gwi:2137069}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/q-kitchen-tile-backsplash-ideas-traditional-kitchen-seattle-phvw-vp~3320586)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Poulsbo Cabinets & Cabinetry Wyland Interior Design Center

[{{gwi:2137070}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-backsplash-and-marble-counter-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~10399527)

[Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_709) by New York Kitchen & Bath Designers Fiorano Tile Showrooms

• plumberry
    9 years ago

I think the accent tile is very nice but too bus - though, just my two cents - I'm no designer.

Maybe it's way off but I have linked a kitchen that reminded me of your kitchen. Just posting for idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenweb kitchen

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

I'd go with flat subway tile in horizontal and then herringbone behind the range for accent.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Pretty kitchen-love your countertops. I prefer the flat subway tile. I also like the first tile pattern on the sample board for an accent tile behind your range. The area above the range is square (versus curved) so I like the first pattern because it has a little bit of a curve. I would frame it.
    Definitely tile the toaster area. You have the glass doors which will be begging for that glossy gray tile versus paint.
    I think many of us on GW worry that a framed accent tile will be too busy.
    But then I think if lcskaisgir's kitchen. We didn't find out she was planning a framed accent-I'm sure we would have advised against it. It turned out beautifully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lcskaisgir's reveal

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 0:14

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I was also thinking of Lcskaisgir's. : )

• amykath
    9 years ago

Definitely go with flat. I think beveled would take away from all of the beautiful elements in yout kitchen.

I think your fave accent tile is lovely. Maybe you can do a mock on the range wall.

I never saw your hardware selections?

• M F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your opinions. I have been going back and forth in my head so it is great to hear some other people’s thoughts. Avntgardnr thanks for retyping! I lost my initial question twice before I started typing in word and then pasting it into back into the post…

What I love about the beveled tile is that there is slight variation in the color. It lightens up the tile and adds interest to me. However, I was starting to worry that the bevel and the shadow and the grout, etc.. would just be too much in large quantities, and it does add even more rectangles to the kitchen. I would love to find a non-rectangular tile in a similar color, but that seems more difficult than I thought it would be.

Plumberry, I love the comparison kitchen. The backsplash has some slight variations in the shade which is so beautiful. I just haven’t found anything that has that much depth that isn’t either $$$$ or the wrong shade. (That seems to be my theme for this kitchen)

So, flat 3x 6 subway it is! I will end at the upper cabinet, and I guess I will tile the area behind the toaster. I think I was leaning toward paint because I LOVE the paint color. But I defer to the experts!

I feel like the kitchen still just needs a “pretty” touch. The glass mosaics seemed like one way to add a little sparkle/color/interest without making too much of a statement. But like many of you pointed out I am not convinced it is the right style for the room.

Sprtphntc I was looking for something bigger for behind the cooktop, but it seemed like the only large things I found (and loved) were natural stone. I would love something easy to clean (I am not the world’s neatest cook), but stainless seems too “cold” to me.

I had thought about trying to do a herringbone pattern. We did a bathroom floor in herringbone and it was kind of a pain for the tile guys. Plus, I had to buy a ton of extra tile for waste with all the cutting. So a framed herringbone seems like the next logical step. I kind of just wanted to do something different, since we have a “herringbone” room already.

May_flowers, I love the first pic you posted with the squares laid diagonally. The subway tile I am looking at doesn’t come in squares of course.

Lcskaisgir's kitchen is gorgeous. I have been thinkingh about using those cabinet pulls as well! For some reason my husband is strongly opposed to doing a block of a different tile. So as far as a “frame” goes the accent tile would be just a border.

aktillery I ran out of patience with downloading pictures before I got to the hardware in my initial post. But I have them uploaded now. (see below)

If you are still reading this rambling, thanks! Here are a few more pics of the kitchen with some of the clutter cleared,my round two questions about the tile, and my final 3 choices for hardware.
    {{gwi:2135973}}
    {{gwi:2135974}}
    {{gwi:2135975}}
    {{gwi:2135976}}

If I did an accent tile for a border/frame behind the cooktop should I do it elsewhere? Would you run it along the very bottom? Or one row of subway then a row or two of accent tile. What would you put in the center.of the frame? Stacked subways? Staggered subways? Herringbone pattern? Squares like in the houzz photo posted by may_flowers? Does anyone know if it would be easier (less work/less waste/less cost) to cut 3 x 6 tile into 3 x 3s to fill a frame or make the cuts for a framed herringbone? Or am I making this too complicated and should just do subway tile with no acccent.

Here is what I have on the upper cabinets.
    {{gwi:2135983}}

For the lower cabinets I am between these three, I am also back and forth between doing a small pull oriented vertically or a knob on the doors. Any feedback is so appreciated!
    {{gwi:2137071}}
    {{gwi:2135984}}
    {{gwi:2135985}}

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

I like the middle one. The other two seem a bit frilly for the clean lines of your kitchen, and I like how it references the octagonal shape of your pretty knobs.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I just want to say that it seems your kitchen is like a white palette, awaiting some injection of color and character. While beautiful, I think it would benefit from a tile with some color, texture and (dare I say it) even a little bling - and I think you chose some great tiles that would showcase beautifully in your space. The stone and pewter seems to go beautifully - as does your favorite.

• catkin
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is very pretty! Sorry if I missed this but what material are your counters? Thank you!

• M F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. They are LG Hausys Viatera Rococo Quartz

• Navy Momma
    8 years ago

Ssnewbiegw what did you do for backsplash? How about at that edge right next to the wall? I have almost the exact same setup with the door casing and I'm not sure what to do.

• isabel98
    8 years ago

looks great!!!!