Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

paper towel holder

victoriajane
15 years ago

I thought I had a place for everything figured out in the new kitchen but I just realized I hadn't thought about the paper towels. I just did a search on GW but couldn't find anything addressing this topic so...please tell me, where do you keep your roll of paper towels (the one currently in use, not the ginormous 24 roll supply from costco!) Do you have it in a freestanding holder on the table/counter, on the wall, in a cabinet, or somewhere else? thanks!

Comments (44)

• mbarstow
    15 years ago

I have mine next to the sink on a vertical marble dowel. I was hoping to find another place for this too, so will be interested in what people might offer for suggestions.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

There have been several threads on this but it's possible they've fallen off the boards.

As I don't have wall space to hang things, I use a free-standing holder I got at a going out of business sale. It's one of those that's supposed to give you one sheet at a time. Works most of the time but not always.

I actually like having the free-standing holder as that means I can move it around as needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: One day. I WILL have one of these...

• jimandanne_mi
    15 years ago

Free-standing SS Kitchenaid. Love it!

Anne

• tiskers
    15 years ago

I'll be watching this thread closely, too! I have always had my paper towel holder mounted under cabinet, because I never wanted to sacrifice the counter space... but it does sound helpful to be able to move it around the kitchen wherever you need it. Hmmm... I'm not sure WHAT I'll do once our new kitchen is done!

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Free-standing here, too. I like being able to move it around, like to the place where the puppy just had an accident!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Before (the I hate it and I know its' days are numbered stage):

Still waiting for backsplash among other things and not fully moved back in yet:

A dry run at the possible placement of countertop items:

I use one of those Ikea rail systems which has a paper towel holder as one of the accessories in my apartment kitchen which is great because I don't have much counter space. My Mom considered these but given she and I put a fair amount of time into finding a backsplash that we think is really going to tie her space together we decided there were already enough tall counter items to obscure it that we didn't need start hanging things in front of or off of it. Can't remember who made the one in the photo (she got it at Winners) but it is a bit tight so you end up unwinding the paper rather than pulling and tearing. It doesn't seem to bother her and we did like that it is pretty sleek looking. That area where it sits is sort of dead space and the other side of the L is completely unobstructed counter so she has no shortage of counter space.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Under the sink and out of sight.

For environmental reasons, I use washable rags for most of my daily cleaning, but use paper towels for certain tasks.

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Well, I can suggest two. One is a way-cool one, which I have NO idea whether it works, because it costs $70 which I will not pay for a paper towel holder. But, awww, c'mon, it looks SO cool:

The iTouchless Towel-Matic Sensor! Just wave your hand....

My other recommendation is the Simplehuman Paper Towel Holder. It's very straightforward, you can tear off towels one-handed, has a heavy base, and looks good, all for 25 bucks. Simplehuman also makes another pt holder that has a grippy stick thing (I think Simplehuman calls it a "flip top" holder), but I don't like the grippy thing much. It doesn't have the simple elegance of the one I've linked, and the grippy thing gets in the way.

• rosie
    15 years ago

The one I like best I think I saw posted on this forum and would like to copy. They boxed in a roll-sized recess under the work counter, maybe on an island on the work side hidden from most common areas, and hung the roll there. Extremely convenient, basically out of side, and off the counter.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I have one of the paper towel jars from the Workshop of David T Smith that pbrisjar is lusting after. Love it. Mine is yellow with some brown. Cracked glaze.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper Towel Jars

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

shannonplus2, I'm intrigued by the motion sensor one, but skeptical about whether it would survive my kids (actually, I'm positive it wouldn't.) In terms of a free-standing holder I like the other one you posted. But rosie's suggestion of an under work counter roll is my favorite. I didn't think to include this in the work side of the island and between the m/w in a drawer and the prep sink, there is no room. But we do have a 12" space in our base cabinets, right after the corner, that is basically up for grabs right now. I've been considering open storage for cookbooks or wine cubbies. What if I put a paper towel holder in there? Does anyone have a link to an under counter holder?

• budgeteer_s
    15 years ago

I agonized over having it under the upper cabinet or free standing, silly me. In the end bought one from Lowe's-SS free standing and is now on the counter by the sink.

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

We don't have a lot of counterspace, so we have a wall-mounted SS one.

Here is a link that might be useful: stainless paper towel holder you can get at BBB

• User
    15 years ago

I have 2. One is a rail mounted one that basically slides between the range and sink depending on what the current task is. One is a free standing one with a heavy base that can be moved around, but whose main location is close to the pet feeding station for the inevitable cat horking that occurs when my 20 pounder eats too quickly.

• tsherman
    15 years ago

We currently have a stand on on the counter but it is so seldom used I am thinking of just tucking it under the sink. Like bluekitobsessed, we use washable rags 99% of the time. It is a great way to use the kids old burp cloths!

• bjeanne
    15 years ago

I second the post re the Simple Human PT holder, I love them, have one beside the kitchen sink and another beside the servery sink

• jenna_j
    15 years ago

I like this one from Ballard Designs

• rosie
    15 years ago

Victoriajane, I couldn't find the link I remember, but it was so beautifully simple I wondered why they weren't seen in half the kitchens out there. A space just slightly larger than a full roll directly under the counter was boxed in with wood matching the doors. Under that was a door to the cabinet space below. The roll was set horizontally on what were probably standard PT holder pegs or bar. Vertical, of course, would be just as doable.

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

Perhaps this is what Rosie meant...not sure where I got this image so, sorry, no details!

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Allison,
    I loved the paper towel holders from the first time you posted them. I now must ask you to stop posting it because I don't want to spend the $350 on the one that reminds me of the Caribbean!!!! Thank you Allison:-)

• sue36
    15 years ago

I have a stainless upright one, I think I got it at Lowes. It's one of those that you can pull one off with one hand. Very basic looking. I always say I will stash it away, but I never do. I had a pretty decorative one, but it required two hands, so not practical for me.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pepper, I love that. How wide do you think that cabinet is?

• ncamy
    15 years ago

My husband wants to know if the space behind the towel rack is useable in the one pepper posted. I suggested that maybe you could store extra rolls of paper towels there.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Sorry, Homepro01! I like the "cabinetmaker" jar they have on there now, so I know how you feel. Think of it as a piece of art, because they truly are!

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

Well...for the under counter storage - a roll of paper towels is 11" wide, so that cabinet couldn't be more than 15" I bet. Using the space behind to store extra rolls is a great idea!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I love the look of that built in under counter one- in fact, I love ALL of what I can see of that pretty kitchen... ah well, in my next life...

I use a counter free-standing one similar to the Simple Human one. Very functional, Before I saw those, DH liked the looks of the marble based ones, but these are actually very stable, and wouldn't break or crack granite if knocked over.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I have one of these undermount SimpleHuman PT holders at each sink.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Under cabinet towel holder

• rosie
    15 years ago

That is gorgeous, Pepper! It makes me want to run get some paint. The one I remember was dark wood, but this looks just the same, and I like it even better. It had occurred to me, too, that extra rolls could be stored behind. Since it's set so low, there is no view into the space at all. A box storing up the cardboard paper towel and toiletpaper cores for kindergarten projects could be in there. :)

Victoriajane, in future when we upgrade our doors, I plan on doing this on an end cabinet close to both sinks. That cabinet's 18" wide but has a standard 2-outlet electric box set in a top front corner (I crack the door to access it), and there's plenty of room left over to box in for a horizontal roll next to it.

• napagirl
    15 years ago

Oh Pepper, I love pic of the undercounter, boxed in, paper towel holder! And ncamy's suggestion to use the space behind it to store extra rolls was brillant! Now I just need to see how to incorporate it into the remodel ....

• rtmom2
    15 years ago

I too have wondering where to put the paper towels. I had a ugly white plastic one hanging before kitchen redo and was glad to get rid of it. I don't want much on the counter, since i want to see the backsplash. Thinking of getting an easy pull holder and putting it away and will take it out as needed. Also after looking at the pictures posted from this question, will put everything on the counter to see how it looks (coffemaker and toaster oven are nessarities). The backsplash gets done tomorrow, hurray!

• dassykee
    15 years ago

We are finally a couple of months away from moving in so I am down to these details also. Thought about the sweet built-in but needed every bit of drawer space. I think I will mount an inexpensive holder on the back of the sink base door so it is handy but out of sight...hope it is close enough to the prep sink as I will need. My sinks are in the island and I plan to TRY to keep them as clutter free as possible. I have this behind-the-door arrangement at the beach and it has worked well there. I plan to do this at the laundry sink as well. Sometimes I have to live in a space a while before I know what is best.

• User
    15 years ago

mine is under the counter, with room to have a bottle of wine below it :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1592789}}

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

I'm not sure I'd want to cut a hole in my nice, new cabinets, but . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: paper towel dispenser

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Wow, I would have to have a huge kitchen to devote a cabinet that size to one roll of paper towels! :)

Sue

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Oldalgebra I hope Custom Inserts will forgive my posting the photo directly as long as I credit them. This is the paper towel holder you linked to and that I referred to in my post above. It is available online from Custom Inserts.

Sue

• natal
    15 years ago

I have a stainless free-standing holder, but if I didn't have undercabinet lights I would have gone with a mounted holder. I have the Simplehuman that Casey linked in my laundry room and LOVE it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplehuman

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

About the recessed paper towel holder that pepper posted a picture of: I'd say the cabinet is 16" - 18", probably 18", if it's a standard size. A paper towel roll is 11" long, there's probably 1" to 2" of space on each side of it in the recess, and the stiles of the cabinet look like they're about 1 3/4" to 2" wide each.

I saw something like it in a kitchen magazine recently and I liked it too. The cabinets in the picture Pepper posted (try saying that 3 times fast) are beautiful! I'd like to paint a finish like that on my cabinets -- I have to figure out how.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I love the one Pepper posted, too. It looks like a much better use of space and is much more finished looking. If you can store extra rolls behind it to make use of the cabinet depth as others have mentioned, it would be great.

Sue

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

oooh... I really like that Custom Inserts one. It wouldn't work for me with my lack of uppers, but that is a GREAT idea.

Mine is one with the heavy base and purposely meant not to draw a lot of attention to itself. It sits next to the sink and alongside the coffee maker.

here is a pick. it is stainless steel (very inexpensive from l n' things) and picks up on the stainless in my coffee canister and coffee maker.

• glad
    15 years ago

no undercabinet lighting, so i stuck with mounted.

• rtmom2
    15 years ago

This is to jenna_i I love your towel bar holder. What finish is it? I am looking for something with a rust finish to go with my typhoon borduex granite. Also is it easy to you or does it require 2 hands. Also love the fact it gives you a place to put kitchen towel.

• sunfeather
    15 years ago

I love the pottery one.

• chefkev
    15 years ago

Bump! This was referred to in another thread. I'm bumping it so it sticks around a little longer.

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

come on guys... I don't need 1 more thing to think about and / or try to fit in... lol!

just cause I think I figured out the 'doggie bar' - now I have to replace that 'thinking' time in figuring out where to put paper towels? well, at least there are some more creative ways to do it/ put them nowadays.

that built in under counter one could take the place of a drawer - maybe with a slide up (and in over it) door?

keep open when cleaning then shut the door when done...

like a PT garage... lol!