Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

Our 'Snowpocalypse' update with pics

melaska
12 years ago

Hi...we are getting more buried! If you want to see more pictures in the Facebook thread, copy & paste this:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=351040804922579&set=a.351024018257591.104681.100000499871836&type=1&theater

The 'Snowpocalypse' article is linked below.

A house in town

Snow on fence

I think this is a commercial building

'Snow Spools!' I really don't even recognize what these are :)

Better shovel that roof! Can you see why a roof with lots of angles isn't a good thing for Valdez? :) I think the code for Valdez is a 160# snowload.

KTUU Alaska news weather graphic

House in snow (love the colors!)

Gotta love the dog on the porch!

Out the front door

Out the back door

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (27)

• plllog
    12 years ago

Oh, for heaven's sake! It's warm here. I'll move the wrapping paper and you can have the guest room.

Pretty pictures, but truly otherworldly.

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

Good grief.

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL pl1log - thank you very much. I'm thinking more & more of becoming a 'snowbird'. Yeah...that sounds nice & warm! This ol' gal just can't handle this stuff like I used to.

clueless - I know...grief! :) I missed out on another 10% Senior discount day yesterday because of the snow. We live 14 miles out of town so it can be a challenge getting in & out. But...do they ever close school for the snow? Never. The only time was during hurricane-force winds and even at that - very seldom. Our snow removal crews deserve Gold medals!

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

It's not so bad...you can still see the house.

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah...from the inside LOL ;)

Those pics are old - we've gotten more snow since then & winter isn't even close to being finished with us. Four more months *sigh*

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

• sochi
    12 years ago

Wow, crazy pictures. We've had a balmy December (Ottawa, Canada) and no snow at all until late Christmas Eve and Christmas day. We have a couple cm of snow now, but the grass is peeking through and it is supposed to be well above freezing this weekend.

Stay safe in that snow!

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

That is unbelievable! I can't imagine it. Where do they put the snow from the streets and what happens when all that snow melts? It must be an awesome sight. Stay safe...and warm.

• kngwd
    12 years ago

Holy cow! I was upset about the 12" we got mid-Oct!!! (Central NJ - school was closed for 3 days!!!)

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oldhouse: The city has 'snow lots' designated for storage. The acre lot right next to us was recently bought out by the City for storage out here in our subdivision. Nice to have the empty lot beside us. On the other side is a guy's 2-acre lot with his workshop next to us so we have privacy.

Snow melt...we have lots of rivers.

kngwd: 12" wow...that would be nice! :) Oh, wow...just looked outside. The snow has stopped & there's a beautiful view...be back later!!!

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

Gold medals for the snow removal crews for sure, but even more, I bet they'd like a day/night off. Overtime must be great though :-)

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

OMGosh! That's crazy! I couldn't do it...you're a better woman than I am!

• cjc123
    12 years ago

Amazing! I am sure it must be getting old for you. However, I am in Awe!! I just can't imagine! I remember bringing a collge friend home for a visit, I live on an island and she was "Amazed" at the water, beaches, rocks, sand, shells, ect... If we haven't seen something before it is a shocking feeling. :-) thanks for sharing!!! be safe.

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

As a former WNY'er on the shores of Lake Erie, I feel a bit of nostalgia looking at your pics.

As a current mom of young kids in MD, snow is a pretty thing... but very hard with all the coats, boots, gloves, scarves... etc.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!!! Stay warm! (of course all that snow up to the house does provide pretty good insulation -- just don't go outside ;-) )

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Washington DC 62 today, tomorrow 58..... It' s spring already!!

• Jody
    12 years ago

I can't even imagine that much snow!!!! Ugghhhh .... hate the stuff!!!! In Michigan we are having the most wonderful January .... 48 degrees and sunny. Went for a 1.5 mi. walk today and it was just great.

Have you lived in Alaska your whole life???? I'm sure it would be hard to move if all your family is there ..... but that much snow .... waaaay toooo much!!!

jody

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I know that there are "snow" people and that there are "rain" people. People who will take one over the other any day of the week. Well, I'll take rain over snow any day and it's a good thing because I live in Vancouver and at least we don't have to shovel rain.

But your pictures are beautiful.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Our kids would love it, but that is a bit much for me. Once every few years would be ok.... Our winter is late this year and we only got to ski on one of our 2 day trip last week because it was too warm up at the ski mtn. I guess this would be too much for there too!

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

thank you for reminding me why i moved to california... :)
    stay warm!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Now I feel guilty...I have the windows open. I'm located outside Philadelphia, not Florida.

I just don't know how you do it.

Stay safe.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Amazing pics!! And it's great to hear from you Melaska! I've been wondering how your new kitchen is coming along since I loved your last one. I love snow, but I can't imagine what that much snow must be like. I guess an A-frame is probably a very good style of house up there. ;) Take care, and stay safe and warm!! (Hope you stocked up on hot chocolate and marshmallows!) :)

• chitown_remodel
    12 years ago

I love your pictures and I LOVE snow! We don't get enough snow here!! It is warm (over 50 degrees today).

Looking at your photos is fun! Thanks for posting them.

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More pics below...

clueless...yes, the OT is great. Also good for the Copper Valley Electric crews during power outages. I'm really surprised there hasn't been any in this latest storm. *Knock on wood*

cjc123 - I would love to see pics of where you live! I know what you are talking about - we'd go to Phoenix, AZ to visit family & I loved the dramatic change in scenery. What I couldn't ever get used to is the absolutely baking type of heat! Spring time!

jjean: I moved to Alaska in 1972 - 5 years in Anchorage & moved to Valdez in 1977. I remember when I flew to Anchorage Nov of 72 - I had just gotten out of the Army after being in Belgium. I had NO idea what to expect. I was thinking igloos, dogsleds. I flew in at night so really couldn't see. Back then, Anchorage was much more 'Frontier like'...it was a strange new land but I quickly fell in love. Especially the summers! Oh, those summers...it's Alaska's siren song for winter weary folks!

blfenton - actually, you can be both in Valdez...we get the snow AND rain! Even more than Seattle. But, we have enough clear days to keep us happy. After winter has melted, we'll take what we can get! ;)

beekeeper - I ask myself that all the time ;) I'm sitting here hoping the power stays on so I 'can' stay warm :)

Here are the pics I took when I looked out the window a couple hours ago - the snow had finally stopped! I wish I caught the glorious light in the sky...by the time I got my boots, coat & spikeys on, it had abated but you can get an idea.

These are our south view:

Our north view:

Our poor Birch tree! You can see why Birch trees don't naturally grow here. They just didn't make over Thompson Pass. I got this when it was a wee little tree. Hubby will be knocking off the snow. It's actually two trees that grew together at the base - they came this way.

• ajones.sd
    12 years ago

It's absolutely beautiful! Easy for me to say, however, where we've had unseasonably warm week, even for San Diego. Stay safe!!!

• Jody
    12 years ago

Well, as much as I do not like snow .... your pics are absolutely beautiful .... the scenery is just breathtaking .... now IF only it wasn't so darn COLD :-D

jody

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Melaska- Now I know, who's watching all those episodes of House Hunter International, in the Caribbean and Central America...everyone up in Alaska!

I thought we had bad winters, but they're nothing compared to the ones up there. We have five month winters, usually with lots of snow, but I don't know how you do it. It is beautiful, but maybe you should design your new house, so it's easy to close up for the winter...with a 4 to 5 month 'snowbird' vacation in mind. Just an idea :)

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavender - we are planning to be able to 'close' up the house for extended time periods. We sometimes go 'outside' for several weeks at a time and so we plan for that. We're putting in some type of window shutters, too.

We are supposed to be getting 2 more monster storms. Enough already! I think they should hold the next Global Warming Conference in Valdez, Alaska! ;) Here's Google Earth's satellite image for today. Looks interesting...oh, boy. God bless the power company...God bless the snow removal crews...God bless us everyone!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations