Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamywhite

Farmhouse Apron Sinks - What Size ? Any Inexpensive Models??

dreamywhite
15 years ago

Doing a white kitchen soon. Will have a 36" sink base. What size apron sink do I order? My husband says 36" - but is that true? Do most of you have 30-33" sinks in a 36" cabinet? Are they hard to install?

Second question - want a white one. Anyone know anywhere you can get one for cheaper than $900?? Really don't want to spend more than $400 and not too sure about stainless.

Thank you for all your help!

Comments (23)

• renomart
    15 years ago

You can get affordable apron front sinks at auctions. Have a look at the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen sink auctions

• worldmom
    15 years ago

It depends on what kind of installation you want. I've seen some installed basically just sitting on top of a short cabinet, so the sides of the cabinet and sink are flush. The problem with this (unless you're doing custom cabs) is that there is some variability - quite a bit, in fact - in fireclay sink sizes. A 30" sink is not going to be precisely 30". Most sellers say they can vary +/-2%, but if you search through the older posts here, you'll see that some people have had them be significantly more off. Although I prefer this look, I worry about the greater potential for water getting where it shouldn't be. Maybe others who have this type of install could chime in as to whether that's a real issue. Here's a pic from a Peacock showroom:

From Last Import

What's more typically done is to put the sink into a wider base. If you're buying a 30" sink, you could go with 33 or 36", depending on the look you want. We're still undecided on that particular point. :o) Here's an example. Sorry it's a little hard to see.

From Last Import

As for finding one you like in your price range, I really doubt you can find a 36" sink, but you can come close with a 30". There are several on eBay that would be in the $450-600 range (Whitehaus is one brand that comes to mind). We really wanted a Shaw's Original, but ended up getting a close approximation with a Belle Foret. It has the simple styling we wanted, but it was only $455 (free shipping) from Designer Plumbing Outlet. Here's a pic in the box:

From Last Import

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the photos - they are very beautiful kitchens and I really like your sink and price. The cabinet line we are going with is not too custom but I know that they have a "country sink base" and I wonder if you just cut out where the sink will go especially if you choose a 30" or 33" in a 36" base. I can not change the base size now as the kitchen is already completely laid out on paper and everything is perfect.

Does your sink that you just purchased look uneven at all? you mentioned that sometimes they are. is this because they are hand made or something?

• mdmc
    15 years ago

My sink is 32" in a 6" sink base. We got it at Home Depot
    about 3 years ago for about $500. It's a Kohler

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your photo is very classy and the price for a kohler is just right. I haven't run across any kohler apron sinks but I should check out HD too.

Another question crossed my mind as some people have them raised - leveled - below the countertop. Which one do I pick?? I'm not even sure how to install this thing since it's a DIY project for my husband and I.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

Ikea has single farmhouse sinks for $185.00, and double ones for $312.00.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99822037

Carla in Sac

• lyno
    15 years ago

sautesmom - do you have one of the ikea sinks? Are you happy with how it is holding up and it's quality?

• growlery
    15 years ago

I looked at a lot of farm sinks, and read a lot of the discussions here.

Some points from here and there:

Thicker is better. Some sinks have thinner front walls and, apparently, after a few hundred whacks with a pan, they chip.

The Kohler and the Ikea both have a back deck with holes in it that you mount the faucet through. This is not good or bad, you just have to take it into account if space is tight between the back of the sink and the wall.
    If so, something like Worldmom's belle foret, which is just a big square of clay, like the Shaw's or the Astracast, is good. That is a pretty sink, worldmom!

Stainless steel farm sinks are way more than fireclay, so don't even worry about that.

There are a number of decisions you need to make about how you want your sink to fit into the counter: with the lip above the surface, below the surface; with the whole edge showing, none of it or part of it; with the sink pushed out into the room so its front edges show or they're concealed by cabinetry ...

But you can consider those later. Once you know what your sink looks like. There are links here to help you make those decisions too.

Good luck! It does become clearer!

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually I had found really nice stainless farmhouse sinks on ebay for around $350-$400, but I really want white so that's where the cost factor comes in. I will need to check out the ikea ones. Would love to know how they rate compared to some of the top companies out there. When you typically order a sink does it come with installation instructions? Also not real familiar with the fireclay material, does it scratch, chip easy? What about when you put a stainless pot or knife in the sink, does it leave that metal looking scratch on the white material?

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I got a Whitehaus fireclay sink and am very happy with it. The 30" cost around $650 via BlueBath, and they were wonderfully responsive to deal with. I know you can get similar discounts on new fireclay sinks on eBay.

Metal doesn't leave those grey-looking marks on my white fireclay the way metal does on enamel sinks, which is great.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue bath web site

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Here's a pic of my Whitehaus:

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funny that you mentioned that website since I was on bluebath at the same time you posted this message. They have pretty good prices compared to the rest of the internet world so far, but again I didn't want to spend more than $400 so I have to re-consider everything at this point.

How do you prevent the water from splashing between the sink and the countertop? Does it need to be caulked?

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Yes, you caulk it just like any other sink, using clear or white caulk. Very easy, and it helps the stability of the installation (caulk is amazingly strong sticky stuff, apparently!). Folks differ in which kind of reveal they prefer - positive, where the counter shows some of the sink rim, like mine above, or negative, where the counter hangs entirely over the sink rim. I like my positive reveal better, since I'm clumsy and knock too many glasses against the counter the other way, when lifting them out of the sink. :)

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

I have the Kohler Dickinson--it is a single bowl apron front. I think it may have been about $700 but you may find it for less if you look around. It is a beautiful sink. Google this name and you'll see it, like mdmc's but a single bowl.

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you are able to find it for $700 let me know. I so far have only seen it online for $980-$1200. It's a beautiful sink but wow those prices. It's amazing how much they really charge for things hey? Seriously could you imagine telling your "non" decorating friends how much you spent on a kitchen sink without having them think you are crazy. I remember when we remodeled our old kitchen and my DH bought a new overmount stainless from Menards for $75 and we both thought it was too much !! :) My goal is around $400 and it looks like I can either do a stainless apron, stainless undermount or silgranite undermount for that price. I wonder if I'll regret not getting that white apron sink. My DH doesn't want that sink, he thinks they are ugly. But I love the look especially in an all white kitchen. Does anyone think that an undermount vs an apron really makes that big of a difference in look and appeal or should I only be considering the apron because the look is priceless?

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

I am a little confused by your last sentence, "an undermount vs an apron" all the undermounts shown on this thread as well as mine are both apron and undermounted so I'm not quite sure what you mean. I will say that you should not skimp on a sink. It is the workhorse of the kitchen as well as part of the beautiful whole. We have a small kitchen and our Dickinson is at one end and it is stunning--no one fails to comment on it because it is so large and simple and lovely. I agree with you that white sinks are nice, there was never a question that I wanted that clean look. I just did a search and you are right, they have really climbed in price. if you are already worried you'll have regrets I would stretch yourself and get a sink that you know you love. Good luck.

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well today I ordered the Belle Foret Apron sink.

http://www.belleforet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=158

List price is $659 plus the strainer. I did my research online calling several local companies and several internet companies and the least expensive option I could find was $550 with shipping. Until I came across 1 internet company that had it listed for $407 plus the $31 strainer plus only $29.99 for shipping !! So I placed the order and it totalled $468. The company called me immediately to inform me that their website has a computer problem and the $29.99 shipping was really $129.99. I was insulted and spent over 1 hour demanding to the manager that it was not my problem and that ethically they needed to honor this price if they didn't want their company name to be trashed all over the internet and BBB. Finally they honored the price and now I will be receiving my 30" apron sink and strainer for only $468! Not too bad if you don't mind arguing for an hour.

Please tell me that Belle Foret is a good brand - I kinda heard it was an off brand but for the price I couldn't pass up the deal.

Plus my budget was $400 so for $468 I am happy :)

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just picked up the bridge faucet also on overstock for $159 plus I found a $5 off coupon online. Fontaine Monaco satin nicket bridge faucet. I think I did good hey !!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

worldmom,
    Thanks for the picture of your Belle Foret sink. It looks very nice and substantial. I have decided to use the same model as our clean-up sink. The company website says it is 9'' inside, but does not indicate the exterior height. Could you tell me how high the sink is?
    Thanks,
    Judy

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judy- I just bought that sink and it should be arriving next week. I bought it from decor island and they accidentally charged me $29.99 for shipping instead of $129.99 so I got a good deal. anyway if you go to belleforet.com they have all the specs there.

• judydel
    15 years ago

Worldmom,

Do you remember where you got that gorgeous inspiration photo of the pastel blue and white kitchen? I'd love to see more.

I'm considering a Whitehaus fluted farm house sink. If anyone has a comment about fluted vs flat front, fire away! : )

Thanks!
    Judy

• covella
    13 years ago

Bump - I am in a world of hurry and sure could use some help. In one day last week, my dryer stopped working, the hot water heater quit and the painter who was hired to paint my cabinets, remove wallpaper and paint - sold his company and stopped returning my calls. The kitchen ceiling is already down and I have about 2 weeks to get some things done. Which may drive some decisions......

I started with only a small cosmetic update - and you may identify with me that as we've gotten into it, it's grown.
    Anyway, IF I can decide on a farmhouse sink and could get delivery in about 2 weeks, I would love to have one. I have been reading this website for a couple of yrs and I know about lead times, but I'm just hoping someone could answer one question at least today.
    If I have my laminate countertop cut for a 33 x 22" sink which I have now, can I swap it for another sink later?
    I will have to live with top mount - no other choice at this late date. Any guidance would be seriously appreciated.

By the way - here's what happened last week...
    - the kitchen designer showed up and found me a painter inside of 20 minutes who came over an hour later and bid $600 less on the job than the first guy, the hot water heater had the vacuum hose knocked off from a kid standing a piece of wood next to it and falling over - so fixed in literally 1 minute and the heating Co didn't charge me for stopping by, and mysteriously, the dryer is still limping along which is good because I really don't have time for it right now. I felt like I had the Divine Hand handling it all because I didn't even freak with 4 different trucks in the driveway and total chaos.