Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yuliao

Kohler Stages Sink - questions for proud owners :)

YuliaO
10 years ago

After much hesitation (and being so upset i didn't get my Super White)i decided to get the Kohler Stages sink ( i already have Kohler Karbon)�

And i have couple of questions though�

- Did you do positive reveal or negative? How do you like it?

- Did you install it with "shelf" part on the right or on the left? How do you like it? What is more convenient?

-Where did you install the faucet? Middle of the actual sink or in the middle of the whole sink cut out?

-Are there any specifics i should give to granite guy or contractor about the installation? I think i've seen some discussion about that but i can't remember where i've seen it�.

Thank you!!

ps
oh, and if you don't mind sharing pictures - that would be wonderful!!

Comments (11)

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

You may already know/have this but here's a link to a page with several pdfs covering the sink that will be needed by the contractor/plumber and cabinet people.

Also, in general, not sure a negative reveal would be recommended for this sink since there are working parts that need to slide across the rim. If that's what's wanted I would call Kohler and check with their tech people on that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stages downloads

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    it does not really matter for me what reveal to do, just wanted to make sure i do the one recommended for the sink

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

Make sure that they have the large white trays or cutting board on hand when fabricating to be sure that the cutout is wide enough for the tray/baord to slide across as intended. Was it Breezy that posted about this a while back?

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beekeepers wife, thank you, thats a great suggestion!! I'll give him the white tray, it's the cheapest to replace if he loses it!
    ps
    i love your countertop btw!

my sink came with paper cutout template..i wonder if the fabricator should use it

• krishoel001
    10 years ago

Beekeeperswife, can you share with me the size of the cabinet you installed your Kohler stages sink in? I don't want to use a 36 inch wide cabinet and am willing to sacrifice the under-sink storage rack. Any chance of a pic of the front of your cabinets under sink? Beautiful counters, BTW!

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

krihoel,

Here's the setup from Right to Left....

22" sink base (edge of frame to edge of frame)
    about 19 1/2" (edge of frame to edge of frame) for the double trash can. This cabinet is partly under the sink, but then also goes further left.

I gave my cabinetmaker the specs for the sink and explained what I wanted, and he was able to make this happen. He understood I did not want all that empty space below. If you were planning on using the rack/storage system for the accessories, this will prevent you from doing that. The hooks from which it hangs are under the drainboard side. I don't use that.

You can see in this picture that the sides of the knife drawer are lower than normal. I could not use the knife block he made for that drawer because it propped my knives up too high. This was one I already had.

Another thing to remember if you do this--I have a Never MT on my soap dispenser. And you can see that is at the back of the knife drawer. There can be an issue with it getting caught, but it only happened once when I was setting it up. I would suggest that the top drawer is not the typical length, mine is a bit shorter, but make it even shorter so there is enough room for your knives but it will allow enough room back there for things hanging down through counter if you go that way.

Good Luck (and thanks, we love the counters too)

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Bee, I am using Dutchwood also. Did they use one cabinet with a partition for the drawers? My contractor is suggesting that I give them the Stages 45 so that they can install it with wood supports . It does not sound like that is what you did. Did Dutchwood install your cabinets and if so who installed your sink and what kind of support did they use!
    Thanks in advance.

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

hey scrappy,

just saw this post.

I just went and looked at old pics during the installation. It appears that they were sep cabinets, which is what I thought. Pardon the multiple posts but I want to show you several pics.

The counter installer installed the sink.

You can email me if you have any questions.

This photo is of the cabinet that has the knife drawer, and the 2 trash cans which is to the left of the sink base and under the drainboard part of the sink.

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

And here it is with the sink base. They had to chop the wall down in between the two in order to have the drainboard part fit right.

(my email if you need me is beekeeperswife at gmail dot com)

• simplegrl
    9 years ago

Hi Beekeeperwife -- thank you for those pictures of the sink. I love the kohler stages design and I am getting the same sink in 45". And this information is so useful. On a different note I love the gray of the cabinets - can you share the name of the color used?