Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagicmama

Looking for Peninsula inspiration photos

soonermagicmama
10 years ago

By way of introduction, I posted to this and Home Building forum with great frequency about 7 years ago, as SoonerMagic, when we were building a home. We're now considering another home that will require a kitchen, bath and other renovations. Very exciting! Anyway, initial design discussions indicate I'm better of with a peninsula than an island in the new kitchen. Having a hard time wrapping my head around that and am looking for peninsula inspiration pics. I recall there used to be an extensive compilation of kitchen photos back in the day and am not recalling how to access that. Any ideas?

Comments (30)

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

We replaced the wall between our kitchen and dining room with a peninsula and we're very happy with it. We left ~26" of the wall to maintain some separation between the spaces.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Go to the Finished Kitchen page, scroll down to the bottom and type "peninsula" into the search box. When I did it, I got 9 returns, including mine (the one with the chocolate birthday cake on the counter).

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens

• soonermagicmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for linking the finished kitchens ... exactly what I was looking for!

• texaspenny
    10 years ago

I have a penninsula in my kitchen and we do all our prep work there. Below is the link. Hope it helps! there are more photos in the photobucket link

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

This is one of my favorite kitchens on here - alexx's blue pottery and beach inspired kitchen, with a lovely peninsula.

Here is a link that might be useful: alexx's finished kitchen

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Another lovely peninsula in this modern kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: Majra's peninsula with waterfall countertop return

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Well, I never got around to posting my finished kitchen (shame on me!) but here is a picture of my peninsula. We extended it 2 feet and got rid of a weird corner on the floor.

• Majra
    10 years ago

Robotropolis posted the link to my photos (thanks!) but I wanted to add that I love love love having a peninsula. Not only do I get a very long counter run, but I think that the U-shaped configuration keeps kitchen traffic down. Most people go for islands these days, but I'm all about the peninsula.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Majra: absolutely love your kitchen.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

I agree with Majra--a u-shaped kitchen is very functional. I have had mine for 20 years and still love the concept. And a peninsula gives you soooo much room.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

heidi - love your kitchen as well! The cabinets look so beautiful with the floor.

I'm planning a u out of necessity, an island just wouldn't fit in my weird space, but I'm looking forward to it. My husband will love cooking in his cockpit, but I'm making the U wide enough that I can be in there and prep and clean as well. We put the fridge on the farthest edge of the U so people can get in for water, ice, and snacks without disturbing the cook.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Love our big peninsula! I was pleasantly surprised at our first few gatherings how it did keep people out of my work zone.

• Nicole
    10 years ago

We put a peninsula in where there was a wall. Here is a before and after. We had no room for an island. I love the peninsula. Ignore the mess in the background and unifinished floors. Our surprise kitchen "accessory" kept me busy last year. LOL

This post was edited by Nicole6 on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 11:10

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I have a G-shaped kitchen, a U plus a peninsula. I love it! It's small, 10'x10', but it's like a roomy cockpit with everything close at hand. My peninsula helps define my kitchen without blocking access. It's kinda like an island but you get the contiguous counter.

• isabel98
    10 years ago

I have a peninsula and an island. at times I've regretted not doing just a large island (mainly for aesthetics)but when people are over it's so great that I have my space and they have theirs and we are all "in the kitchen".

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

I'm a big fan of peninsulas, for the beautiful workspace and the extra storage. I decided against an island when we were redesigning the kitchen, and I'm soooo glad I did.

• Majra
    10 years ago

justmakeit, that's justgorgeous

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

justmakeit, what's the counter material? Love it!

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Hi Sooner,

I remember you, we were doing our kitchens at the same time! We also took down the wall dividing kitchen from dining room and built a peninsula which has probably become the most used space in our kitchen. I love it for parties...lots of space for food, can chat with guests while they nibble on appys and I can work on my side.

Great work area for spreading out crafts, baking, etc. and extra seating! We ended up buying a counter height table so I could use the same chairs, best use of a small space for us.

• ratrem
    10 years ago

Homebuyer we have the same stools! I also love the peninsula because it keeps my littles out of my space so ican clean,cook whatever, while they eat or craft.
    Seriously these two can get under foot

• ratrem
    10 years ago

It has also worked well with parties and holidays as a hang out place but keeping non cookers out and a great way to put out food. I think they are great if you don't have room for a large island. My girls eat there all the time and I can sit with them or continue cooking. I really liked how it opened up our space too.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

ratrem...
    first of all, your girls are beautiful!
    Yes we do! The stools were supposed to be temporary we got them cheap on overstock, but we are really digging them and the kids are destroying them so I think they'll stay for a while.

Its great to see your kitchen, I saved pics of it very early on in my process bc the layout looked great and like something I could fit.
    I love your space (esp your taj majal!) and now I'm remembering how inspirational it was to me in the beginning!

Great peninsulas here :)

• ShoestringHaven
    10 years ago

Hi Sooner,

While searching online for granite for our new kitchen, I came across this photo of your bathroom (copied and pasted below). It's beautiful and exactly what I've been looking for! I realise that you posted the photo a few years ago, but do you happen to remember the name of the granite?

Or, does anyone else recognise it?

• fishymom
    10 years ago

We took down a wall between the kitchen and the front room in our old house. We left room for a 27 inch wall cabinet and housed a microwave on the counter below it. I loved the peninsula, the absolute best renovation we did in that house! We ate at the bar frequently and the kids did homework there. It was also perfect for buffet style serving. And I loved the raised bar so much that I added one to the kitchen remodel in our new home!

• dawn_t
    10 years ago

Just adding to the above....
    It's a DIY, about 12x14, Ikea and will likely NEVER be finished, but here's mine:

p.s. would have loved an island but just not enough space. Now that I'm using it, I think that a peninsula is actually more functional for me. We all call it the "island" anyways, lol....

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(Shoestring--it looks like it could be typhoon bordeaux--looks similar to mine).

• abbycat9990
    10 years ago

We are getting used to the peninsula in our new place. I must caution you to think about access to the interior "blind" corner!! Some of the photos above show doors on the "stool" side - think about that! Or maybe you love corner cabs w/lazy susans?

In our space, the overhang is just a few inches, and does not encourage the use of stools - also we have a banquette right there, so stools would crowd the space. Anyway, after moving in, we found a guy to do built ins for the mudroom area and I also gave him a side project to insert shelving on the "stool" side of the peninsula.

I need that more than I need inaccessible cabinet interiors. On the door side, there is still room to store trays upright, so I call it a win-win.

• agk2003
    10 years ago

justmakeit, i adore your kitchen. do you have a reveal posted?

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

thanks everybody, I am not the OP but am getting ideas from these posts.

aside to dawn_t, could you post separately how you made your wood hood with the Ikea cabinets?

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I have a peninsula, too. It replaces a wall and I love it.
    I call it "the counter."
    Mine's wider than I like, so in my plans I will make it the 24" depth of the cabinets under it. I don't have room for an overhang, but the table is on the other side so I don't need it. (I call it "the table.")

All those kitchens you guys have posted are gorgeous. Helps me dream!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!