Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seliles

Noise problems with KitchenAid CD French-Door fridge?

seliles
14 years ago

I had just about decided on the KithenAid Counter-Depth 21.8 cu. ft. Bottom Freezer Refrigerator with Internal Water Dispenser

#KFCS22EVMS and then I found the following post on-line.

It seems like there was a problem with the damper or the

refrigerant running through the tubbing. It made clicking/banging noises.

Has anyone had this problem ? I want to have a quiet fridge.

Thanks

pbear

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid Noise Problem

Comments (15)

• fleur222
    14 years ago

pbear, I have a similar fridge, a KA, CD, Bottom freezer, but ice/water in door. I am very picky about noises. Our familyroom/diningroom is partly open to the kitchen and our bedroom very near the kitchen too. I have not noticed any regular, unusual, annoying noises from our fridge.
    That post was from over a year ago, and I could not get the poster's sound link to play, so that I could listen to the noise.
    Hopefully you will find some feedback from someone who has recent experience with the same fridge.
    I will try to pay even closer attention to the fridge and let you know if I do hear anything today. (Usually I try NOT to focus on things like that because I can get irritated more easily than just about anyone else I know!)
    Example, last night my family and I went to dinner. (Still enjoy going out even with my new kitchen!) We waited 45 min. and I ended up directly under the music speaker. I switched to the other side of the table and I was fine. (but my family briefly worried that I would want to wait for the next table!) Geez!

• seliles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much fleur22! That's good to hear...I too am very sensitive to noises and my fridge will be on the wall between the kitchen and the living room. Yes, that was an older post. I was able to hear the noise he posted; it was awful...sounded like someone baning on pipes in the basement. I can't believe that KitchenAid would not replace it. The resolution was never posted.

pbear

• susie1010
    14 years ago

We have a CD GE Cafe with bottom freezer and internal water and ice. We did not want to connect a water line to the refrigerator for auto ice/water. After we started using the refrigerator, we noticed all kinds of "clicking, burping noises". GE customer service wasn't sure what it was so scheduled a repairman to come out. Meanwhile, I thought I should take a look at the manual. Apparently, if you are not going to use automatic ice/water, there is a switch inside the ice tray that needs to be turned off. My poor ref. was "straining" to make ice. All is quiet now. Repairman cancelled.

• seliles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, thanks susie for that tip. I had also though about not even connecting the water line for auto ice and water. Glad to know about that. That's one good way to avoid service calls :)

pbear

• lisa0527
    14 years ago

Any of you have the KA, CD ferench door fridge with cabinet panels?? How do you like the look? The appliance salesman I spoke to seemed quite negative about how it would look once the panels were installed, but I can't think why. I'd love any reassurance you could give me.

• D K
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes we are having problems with noises with the Kitchen Aid with lower freezer/French door ‘ Cabinet depth. This has barely been used (in place 12 months but we have been out of state so used for maybe 4 months) they told us to change out the filter (at $50) did that and still making noise....service man on the way - out 1 week. So annoying after paying so much for this fridge. Other than that we have loved it ....so keeping fingers crossed! I don’t see the sense in disconnecting the line if this is what you paid for to use - I love having ice/water in my door...so not an options for me. Although I do have to add, since this is so close to the warranty of course expired 1 month ago....they are taking care of the parts/labor that is needed to fix. So with that I would say their customer service seems accommodating to me. :-)

• threelittlelights13ny7a
    5 years ago

I have that exact fridge and I absolutely love it. No complaints about weird noises or anything else :)

The reason the appliance salesman is cautioning you against the panels is that the refrigerator box is flush with the edge of the counter and the doors have to sit in front of the surround to operate properly. This is not the same look as an integrated fridge that is seamless with the cabinets and for this model I’m pretty sure the sides are black.

You can build a deeper surround for a CD refrigerator to give a more custom look and fully cover the refrigerator box, but the doors will always stick out in front of the cabinetry.

• HU-46324953688
    5 years ago

DK we have a KA French Door counter depth that makes an intermittent noise that is quite loud. It is hard to describe but it makes me envision a fan starting and stopping. I say this because the frequency of this noise will speed up and slow down. However, it is not a clicking or grinding sound or even knocking. It sounds sort of like a wild turkey call haha. Not the gobble gobble part, it sounds like the clucking part. The service man has been out twice and of course it did not do it at that time. I do not think it is a fan though because though the control panel he knew the codes for turning the fans on and off individually and they all worked fine...as dose everything about the fridge.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? It is driving me crazy.

Thanks

• Farzana Esmail
    3 years ago

Yes it is happening with me too. No resolution so far and the fridge is 7 months old

• Stephanie Staley
    3 years ago

I just moved into a home with this fridge, and it is periodically making a strange, loud noise – it seems to be coming from near the top, and though I don't know what a "wild turkey clucking" sounds like, that could well describe it! The refrigerator seems to be working fine, however. I am just curious about it.

• Joseph GL
    2 years ago

My KA krff507hps is two weeks old and is making the same clucking sound. The repairman said that it happens when the freon is being distributed to the compressor and this is normal. Well it is pretty annoying sound, I feel like I'm out in a farm listening to ducks quacking and chickens clucking.

• Farzana Esmail
    2 years ago

Get it changed. after a year it stopped working and i had to get another same fridge and no noise from the onset

• PRO
    Summerview homes
    2 years ago

I have a kitchen aid fridge with French doors and freezer bottom drawer. It’s making a crazy humming and vibrating noise

• Rick Blum
    last year

Just bought the KA french door freezer bottom fridge KRFF507HPS and the bottom black grate is vibrating making a loud humming noise. When I press upward on the crossbar of the black grate the vibrating noise goes away. Any chance the repairman coming out next week will be able to fix it (has anyone else had this issue)?

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County