Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dana1079

Any green kitchens with red accents out there?

dana1079
15 years ago

I'm in the process of re-doing my kitchen, my now oak cabinets will be white (haven't picked out that exact color). The walls with be a sage green (Green is my favorite color). I love red accents, and wanted to know if anyone else out there uses this color scheme?

If so can you give me some pics...i have it visualized in my mind, along with lots of samples, but wanted something more vivid!

Comments (9)

• berf
    15 years ago

My kitchen is a green from BM called "Windchime" I extended the same color into the gathering/bar and dining areas. My accent colors are black and natural/wood tones but I am trying to incorporate more red accessories. I only finished the renovation at the holidays so am still playing with the decorating--here's some of what I have so far.
    This panoramic shot is a little "bumpy" because it's multiple shots pasted together but you get the overall idea...
    {{!gwi}}
    I have lots of red dishes and accessories (napkins, towels, my "crab" sign, utensils, etc.) but am trying to find some more "permanent" ways to incorporate it. I'm thinking maybe some seat cushions for the black chairs but I'm not sure...
    {{gwi:1574724}}

One idea I'm playing with but I'm not sure it's right, and not sure I'm gutsy enough for it--is this indian red mosaic tile as my backsplash behind the sink and crawling up the bumped out wall that surrounds my chimney...
    Here's the tile:
    {{!gwi}}
    and the sink area and bumped wall are at the back of this photo:
    {{gwi:1563455}}
    {{!gwi}}

Would love to see what you come up with as your ideas crystallize--and hoping others post too with some fresh ideas.

• grendal_fly
    15 years ago

My kitchen isn't exactly green, but the counter tops are very green and the painted walls are AC-1 which is a taupe with red and green in it depending on the lighting. We do have a lot of red accents as well.

In this one you can see how the wall to the right of the fridge looks greenish in the light. The back splash is a crackled colonial white BTW.

• worldmom
    15 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with red and green, unless you go overboard and make it look like a summer camp cabin or Christmas gone awry. ;o)

My last kitchen had white cabs, green countertops, yellow/gold walls, and splashes of red - KA mixer, a big bowl, some wall decor. I loved it. I'll see if I can find a photo.

• dana1079
    Original Author
    15 years ago

berf- I love the pattern of your tile floor! and the different textures you've incorporated, esp the chair!

Your tile looks almost identical to the floor tile in my upstairs bath. I also love the glass in your cabinets, and your dark countertops! I was thinking of a red glass mosaic blackspace behind my stove, but I doubt I do it, I'll probably go with something more neutral and keep the red to the plates and small things in case I want to change the accent.

grendal fly- I adore the color of your cabinets, this is what i wanted, but i can't afford it so we're rehabbing our oak ones, painting them white, with dark granite countertops. The ones I have picked out are the greenish black, alot like yours...you can't see the green unless the light hits it!

I love your red accents in the plates, and then pulling it in small amounts onto your rugs, chairs, and pots!

Awesome job on both of the kitchens! I feel newly inspired. My remodel has hit the disasterous part where other things keep breaking and costing more money. Ex: Our new downstairs central air/heat unit, pulled too much voltage and fried our outside breaker, then (I live in the country)the well pump went out!

All in the past 2 days! So I have sanded down cabinets, half of a finished tiled floor, and no appliances IN the kitchen!

I love DIY though!

• berf
    15 years ago

pssst...I've got a secret...
    my "tile" is sheet vinyl flooring. :)
    Easy to mistake in the picture but what's really groovy is that most people mistake it in person as well and reach down to touch it only after they walk on it (because of course, it can look like tile, but can't sound like it!)
    Thanks for the compliments...
    Looking forward to seeing things progress...hope you're taking before and in progress pics!

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Throw a bit of yellow (not bright, but golden) in the room to keep it from becoming Christmas.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

here is a red kitchen with green accents. one of my new favorites but not for the faint of heart. it was in a recent kitchen magazine:

• dana1079
    Original Author
    15 years ago

berf, no way! That doesn't look like vinyl at all, i'm impressed! I saw some laminate with the click n lock that looked alot like that at HP after we had purchased our tile.

My tile looks alot like yours elaine. I love the idea of maybe a yellow with the red and green in small doses. My kitchen now is a pale buttery yellow because that's ALL that would go with the 25 year old vinyl flooring when I moved in with my boyfriend. man I wish I had the pics before I painted that room. It was mauve/cream sponge paint from the 80s!

mamadadapaige-

I love the red and green! I love modern design and try to keep things a little more contemporary, but fully modern I don't think would match my REALLY traditional house.

So wish it did, because i HATE the blocked in feeling of the layout in our house now!