Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

Would love help identifying this backsplash!

newenglandsara2
12 years ago

Hi there,

We are in a time crunch on picking our backsplash now, and I saw a very pretty image online but with no information about the tile company. Can you let me know if you can identify this backsplash?

http://mylovelylife-blog.blogspot.com/2010/06/inspired-bysea-glass.html

If not, I am looking for something in soft greens and blues: ideally in glass. It has been hard to find the right tones. I welcome suggestions!

Many thanks,

Sara

Comments (20)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I have a frosted sea glass color glass backsplash:

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

I'm sorry I can't ID that particular one, but this Ann Sacks glazed terra cotta tile has a reflective sheen/iridescence, similar to iridescent glass. The color is light blue, the name is Medina.

Good luck!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Here's the closeup from the blog. I don't know what it is, but it's shore pretty! ;)

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BreezyGirl, those photos you posted are exactly the ones I tried to post (but couldn't figure out how!) :-) Hopefully someone can identify one or both companies that make these gorgeous tiles. I thought the other photos were beautiful, but we need more color in our kitchen since the backsplash will be our main source of "pop."

I really appreciate all of the posts so far, and I am hoping that I can solve this mystery soon!

Sara

• amysrq
    12 years ago

Take a look at Hirsch Glass Tile. Not sure where you are, but Arrow Tile, in Western MA and NH, carries the line.

• Kode
    12 years ago

One of the backsplashes pictured is handmade glass tiles by Erin Adams through Ann Sachs.

From House Beautiful - "A Nantucket Home Awash in Blues" Frank Roop, designer

Here is a link that might be useful: A Nantucket Home Awash in Blues

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great lead on Hirsch Glass! The blues/greens they have might be brighter than my husband will approve, but I sent him some links. :-) (I am in the Boston area...)

Kode, that was an amazing find! Do you have any idea of there is a way to buy Ann Sacks tile as a non-designer? The only local showroom in the Boston area is in the Boston Design Center, which is only accessible to designers. I welcome any suggestions!

Thanks so much again....feel free to keep any ideas regarding seaglass tile coming as that Ann Sacks collection might be above budget!

Sara

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

That Hirsch tile is from Marazzi. That Ann Sacks glazed tile is beautiful! So many beautiful tiles...

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

You're welcome.

I just got complete dejavu! Someone has asked about this tile before. I remember the red seafood sign. I'm not sure how you'd run a search to find the old thread though....

• Kode
    12 years ago

I found the kitchen the other backsplash is in, but there's no information about the tile itself.
    Just says sea-green tiles.

:(

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterfront Kitchen from Country Living

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I have asked before about the green tile with the red seafood sign. I love that look, in any color. Is it possibly stone, like ming green?

• amysrq
    12 years ago

Sara, there are ways to get yourself into the BDC. They have a "membership" program that also gives you four hours of design consultation. Maybe you could try the designer on-call for an hour first, to see if you can find a person you'll get along well with.

I was looking for a long time for a similar tile and the Hirsch options were much more affordable than Ann Sacks. Have you been to Tile Showcase yet? The Natick store is a wonderland!

• Kode
    12 years ago

Glasstile Warehouse has Ice Blue glass tiles in 4x4 and 3x6 sizes. Its a lovely soft blue with a hint of green undertone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice Blue Glass TIle

• Kode
    12 years ago

I found this tile while searching for the others. I thought it was very nice, with interesting texture and colors. Its called Sea Green Mist in the Temptation Series. I saw it on the web at a couple different places.

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These posts are so incredibly helpful! I love many of the options suggested here. My husband has his heart set on clear glass tiles in a blend of some sort. For this reason, the larger tiles (eg. 4 X 4) and the more marbly glass won't work. :-(

I did go to the Tile Showcase in Natick yesterday, even though the showroom is intimidatingly beautiful and expensive looking! I found a tile in a Barbados blend by AKDO that works great with our colors, but it is very subdued. I saw a more vibrant South Beach blend online, but I am not sure how that would like in-person:

http://www.akdo.com/products_detail_coll.asp?pid=1789&collid=63&subcollid=

I also saw this photo, but I have no idea where this is from:

http://www.letsbuildahome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/wave.jpg

Great info on the Boston Design Center! I will look into the options....

Does anyone have a quick summary of how to post photos on here? :-)

Also, how do you think frosted glass holds up on a backsplash? My husband is worried it might absorb oils or be harder to clean without scratching. Thoughts?

This forum is amazingly helpful!

All best,
    Sara

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

check out Trikeenan Tileworks. The Glass Windows collection. Gorgeous stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trikeenan

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Designer Glass Mosaics has some beautiful things and they do custom stuff too and will work w/ you to come up w/ something perfect for your kitchen! We had custom glass knobs made for our kitchen and a glass mural made for an upstairs shower and the stuff is absolutely exquisite.

Here is a link to their color stacked tiles, but check out the whole site for inspiration :)

• katieob
    12 years ago

Hi Sara,

I've had that green tile photo (with the lobster sign) saved as a favorite for a while now. If I could find that exact tile, I'd go green. It is so fabulous.

I'm in the Boston area, too-I got an email the other day that the Boston Design Center is having an Open House in the next few weeks. I'm not a member, so it must be open to all.

Good luck,
    Katie

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Here's a link to the thread called "New to Kitchens? Posting pics". You'll find a wealth of great info there courtesy of Buehl, including how to post photos and links.