Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandapadgett_gw

One Kitchen Remodel (before/after)

amandapadgett
11 years ago

Title was supposed to be "One Month Kitchen Remodel." My first post here seems to be riddled with problems. LOL

I've been lurking around here for about two weeks. I SO wish I had discovered this forum before we started our remodel - I would have done some things differently (same goes for Houzz.com - just discovered that 3 weeks ago).

We are in the final stages of a ONE MONTH remodel (we didn't change the footprint/move plumbing so it was quick). We live in a 140 year old house, so I have done/lived through some serious renovations and remodels. This kitchen remodel is unlike any we've done before. It always seems like we were laying down the track after the train was part-way over.

The story is a long one, so I won't bore anyone with it. Just know that everything you see has some type of decision/had-to-do-it-that-way story behind it.

The list of to-do's are:
Reattach undercabinet lighting
Install SS slide in range
Find a new fan or light fixture to go over island
Buy some accessories that will warm up the kitchen
Change out all the outlet covers to cream

I've attached a before/after image, both taken with my iPhone. We are not finished yet, and after everything is through I'll share the final shot.

This post was edited by amandapadgett on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 16:11

Comments (27)

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For some reason the picture didn't stay with the post. I'm new here, so I'm sure it's something I did wrong.

Editing to say I figured out how to add image to original post, so removing it from this one.

For those reading, if you add an image then edit the post in preview mode, you have to reattach the image.

This post was edited by amandapadgett on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 15:59

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

No photos are attached. Read the "new to kitchens..." thread posted by buehl. It will tell you how to post photos including mulitiple photos in one post.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

oh I see you got it. Really nice!

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

debrak-
    Sorry about that. I did everything right, I just didn't re-upload the image when I edited in preview mode.

Thanks!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I see them! Really nice change! So warm and lovely. Beautiful transformation! I'm glad you decided to share. :)

• springroz
    11 years ago

Really pretty!! I love the sparkles on the BS!

Nancy

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, springroz, but the was just the light. The backsplash doesn't sparkle, not really.

Here's a close-up of the backsplash, it it matters. ;-)

• deedles
    11 years ago

Can you talk about your cabs? The brand and type of wood and stain/paint? It looks great! Your old cabs are exactly the kind I have in my current kitchen. I chose to redo mine and I'm glad since we're moving anyway now.

• willtv
    11 years ago

That's a great update.
    New cabs or new doors & drawer fronts?
    It looks fantastic.
    Great job!

• willtv
    11 years ago

That's a great update.
    New cabs or new doors & drawer fronts?
    It looks fantastic.
    Great job!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Really nice!
    You imply it's fraught with trouble, but to the visiting eye, it's lovely. I think you did a great job.

I can't imagine what you found when you took things down. I know my 1974 ranch was insane. Imagine 140 years' worth of quick fixes, "good enough for nows" and I'll get it later.

Really nice and welcome.

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@deedles--
    The cabinets were custom made by a friendly carpenter we used for trim work when we did Big house renovation 8 years ago (but didn't do kitchen then).

The bottom is cherry wood with cherry stain & polyurathane. The top cabs are birch & plywood, painted Benjamin Moore Bone White.

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@wilty...
    We were originally just refacing, but that turned into new bottoms cabinets (going with cherry stained cause old white cabs showed a lot of wear - we have four kids). Then, at the last minute we tore off top and built new, but that was AFTER teh doors were already made, so we kept the white up top.

Turns out the two-tone helps the kitchen from being too dark. It doesn't get the best light and the white helps so much.

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@CEFreeman...
    Thank you! Yes, old homes present all kind of special things to overcome. The remodel we just did was actually the 4th one the house has had.

Started out as two room farmhouse (kitchen was one of those rooms), then around 1905 my husband's great-grandfather added on the rest of the house. The kitchen (in the pic below) was remodeled in the 60's. Then in 2003 we remodeled it ourselves (painting cabs, new window, new counter, laid vinyl).

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For an interesting comparison, here is my kitchen circa 1996 (a 60's remodel VERY outdated), circa 2011 (a 2003 remodel) and circa 2013 (an unfinished remodel).

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Love seeing how your kitchen has changed over the years. Like fine wine your kitchen has improved with age. It has a much richer look now but it is still warm and inviting. Love the way your backsplash ties in with both the upper and lower cabinets as well as the flooring. Congratulations on a job well done.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Very pleasing and warm kitchen. It is so inviting. I love cherry. You sure did a great job. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your lovely family and kitchen.

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both, @badgergal and @tea4all! I appreciate the sweet comments. It's nice to be able to share the transformation with people who know first hand all those goes into it.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

It's beautiful, really like the dark lowers and light uppers. The new stove is the finishing touch. You have a beautiful family. Good job!!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Oh that looks so fantastic! Love the cabinets (both uppers and lowers), the countertops, and especially your backsplash. Did you just get the new range installed today? It looks amazing. Great job, and may your new kitchen see many years of happy gatherings.

• CallMeJane
    11 years ago

Very warm and classy. Looks great!!!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous. Love the combination of dark and light. Like Jane said, it's so warm and classy.

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@gr8day and @taggie -
    Thank you! Yes, the range has been sitting in house for a week and we finally got it in last night (which was a disaster but wont' tell that story, but will say that Lowes is ordering us a new glass top!).

Thank you for the sweet feedback about the kitchen. Considering it's an "accidental" kitchen design, I'm grateful it turned out as well as it did.

• amandapadgett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@CallMeJane and @marti8a -
    Bless you for such kind comments. To hear someone else call it "classy" at all makes me smile. That is a term that I'd ideally like used, so thank you!

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

Lovely, beautiful, I love the light uppers, warm cherry lowers.
    Nice looking family too!

• cindaintx
    11 years ago

What a beautiful, warm kitchen!
    When you mentioned updating the switch plates as one of your last items, I remembered to add that to my final backsplash to-do list as well.
    We have discovered that Lutron makes electrical finish parts in lots more colors than the white vs off white offered at the big box places. They may have a perfect match to your beautiful backsplash.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

What a lovely update! I too love the creamy uppers and rich cherry lowers. And your backsplash coordinates perfectly! I'm so glad you included a close-up pic since the the pic doesn't really do it justice. I'm sure you'll make many wonderful memories in your new kitchen!