Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_2008

What do you think of your blind corner swingout?

susan_2008
16 years ago

I'm just at the initial planning stages of my kitchen. I have three blind corners. I have not had very good luck with Lazy Susan's (stuff seems to fall off the back never to be seen again). I'm wondering how people like those swing outs.

Thanks

Susan

Comments (25)

• pcjs
    16 years ago

We have the Kraftmaid lazy susan and I LOVE it. We also have one blind corner and I hate it, but it was a necessary evil. Ours as the roll outs in the back and the bin in the front. It is helpful in our small kitchen to keep fry pans back there, but I much prefer my lazy susan. Nothing has ever fallen out of our style.

• divamum
    16 years ago

In my 36" corner cabinet I have a round supersusan (LOVE IT) with absolutely zero problems - I'm keeping pots and pans on the top and small appliances on the bottom, so no problems with things falling off. It is one of the BEST things about my new kitchen. I don't know what kind of LS you currently have, but if it's the kind with the pole and/or the kind that swings with the door, check out the supersusans in a showroom and see if that might work better for you. Mine is Kraftmaid, but I'm sure other mfrs must do the same sort of thing.

In our blind cabinet on the other side, we installed the half-moon Revashelf swing+slide inserts, and it's working very well - it's not as good as the full-round ss, but it certainly makes using the blind cabinet WAY easier, and there's still some room for a few awkward items around it and behind it on the floor. Definitely preferable to shelves only. I picked it up new in box on ebay for about $57 including shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: half-moon Revashelf cabinet

• donnar57
    16 years ago

We have the pie/kidney shaped heavy duty Lazy Susan in one of the 2 corners....and I LOVE it. Since it's pretty sturdy, we put the small appliances in it. Those don't fall off as easily! Comparatively, my MIL and SisterIL both have the round lighterweight plastic LS's, which they use for food. And they DO have problems with things falling off never to be seen again.

The other corner is a very blind corner - I use it for the pots and pans that I don't use very often, with the more used ones right in front of the cabinet door!

Our cabinets are Thomasville (Home Debit's top line model).

DonnaR/CA

Here is a link that might be useful: Donna's Kitchen Project

• reeny
    16 years ago

I have Dura Supreme cabinets with the blind corner that has an upgraded feature. The stainless steel shelves move as you open the door - all the other cabinet companies had a similar option but I know it was about a $2500 upgrade in each line. Hope that helps.

• pirula
    16 years ago

If by "swing out" you mean the thingie where there are four shelves and two slide out when you open the door and the other two slide over for easy access, then YES! I LOVE ours. Absolutely love it. I've always had Susans and never liked them. Love this. We got the Hafele version and installed it ourselves into Crownpoint cabinets.

Perhaps these super susans are better than the old thing. No idea, and no interest. The slide out works for us.

Ivette

P.S. WOW! $2,500 is steep. We paid just under $900 for the Hafele insert a bit over a year ago. Amazing what the mark up is. Installation DIY wasn't that big of a deal.

• susan_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, pirula, that's the thing I'm talking about.
    Wow! $2500? It must be extremely good quality.
    In the Lee Valley Hardware catalogue they are called "blind corner units" You buy them for $209. They are wire racks that you install in your blind corner. The first one pulls out and the one behind slides over so that it is accessable. I wonder if the one that reeny is talking about is made entirely of wood? Those are beautiful - perhaps that's why it's so expensive.

• pirula
    16 years ago

The Hafele one is excellent. It's metal and does not have wire shelves. The shelves are some kind of wood laminate or something, unsure. Cleans like new and everything is stable standing on it. Have'nt seen the Lee Valley one.

Ivette

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    16 years ago

I have the Lee Valley unit and I completely regret allowing that be part of my kitchen. It doesn't work well for us. Maybe it just needs to be adjusted or something, but I wish I had a corner lazy susan in it's place. We have two blind corners and I did not have experience with either corner LS or blind corner pull out, so did one of each.

In theory, blind corner pull out is better than no pull out.

• susan_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good to know about the Hafele one. I looked on their website but perhaps they only sell to contractors because I couldn't look at any products.

mell_sacto, do you really think that the Lee Valley unit just needs adjusting or is it just a bummer period?

• hmsweethm
    16 years ago

I have the Lee Valley blind corner unit, and I love it. Maybe it's just that I think it's clever and cool and a great way to make use of an otherwise unuseable space. I love the look of it. We've only been using our renovated kitchen since early November, but it works great. Here's what I keep in it: An angel food cake pan; a cheese cake spring form pan; two oversize Calphalon pots; the plastic holder for cookbooks (oh, that's where I left it!); a Tupperware onion dicer (my husband thinks it works great; I don't) -- that's all in the back part. In the front part I keep stuff I use often: my set of 11 Williams-Sonoma glass bowls; several Calphalon roasting pans which fit perfectly in the bottom rack, with some Pyrex baking pans nestled in them; my can opener; my electric knife sharpener; a meat loaf pan.

I love the system! It's one of the things I love showing to visitors who are curious about how are new kitchen works. I have honestly not had a problem with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley blind corner unit

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    16 years ago

I *hope* my unit just needs adjusting because I've read many positive things about it, but until my DH works on it I can't say for sure. One thing I didn't like is that they installed it to the maximum cabinet width but there was still extra space in the far corner that is basically wasted. Essentially my blind corner cab is too wide for it.

Another thing is that pulling the unit open is much harder than opening a drawer. Don't know if that's an adjustment issue or not but I guess some people think soft-close drawers require too much force to pull open--the LV unit requires even more force (I like, and have, the soft-close drawers).

Last, the shelves seem like they could be easily knocked off their hangers. The shelves, themselves, are sturdy, but they don't seem to attach strongly.

Melanie

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

We have the Hafele Magic Corner II units and I love them. You open the door, then pull out the first section which pulls the back section into place, from there you can pull out either the top or bottom drawer. The shelves on the first piece are also height adjustable.

Honestly, a Super lazy susan without the center pole may store more but this is fantastic ease of access.

We bought them through our cabinet maker and they were $450 each if I remember correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Corner II spec sheet

• reeny
    16 years ago

I guess I didn't mention how much I love my blind corner pullout. It is stainless not wood - I didn't see any with wood maybe I should have looked further. Although, I did check several cabinet lines and they were all about the same price. After reading your posts I feel ripped off!!! But again I LOVE IT!

Reeny

• sally123
    16 years ago

Is the Hafele Magic Corner II so tall that it requires both the cupboard door and drawer above it? Or can it fit into just the cupboard, leaving an operable drawer above?

• divamum
    16 years ago

I really wanted one of these "double swingouts" but the cost was, alas, prohibitive for me. But when I first started cabinet shopping I saw one of these and thought it was very cool - seemed like a great solution.

That said, as posted above, I'm happy with the (more affordable) solutions we found. It IS nice that there are multiple options out there for those sometimes unavoidable pesky corners!

• verysleepy
    16 years ago

Hi there. We have the Rev a Shelf corner blind unit installed. There are 2 units- and this is the smaller one. Have a look at the unit below. It opens in 2 stages. Since we live in a NYC coop with very little space the corner unit sounded like a great solution for us. My cabinet guy didn't really know what to do with it, because- although it says it is for 15 " cabinet, you door clearance has to be big enough to handle it. Ours was not.

We were determined to use it- so my husband found a welding shop, and they cut the width of the basket by an inch or two. Now it is perfect. In it we store our kitchen aid standing mixer, and cuisinart, and cutting boards. Finally-some use for our corner. I really don't think we would have used a supersusan here. The bending is jut not convenient.

Oh, and yes, we have a drawer above the unit, where we store all of our spices.

I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: rev a shelf corner blind unit

• coffeehaus
    16 years ago

I will have one blind corner in my kitchen (new house build), and after reading the dialogue at the following link (see Contributor L response), I have decided to forget about using this space and just design around it. However, if you must use this space, there are several good suggestions here. I have copied/pasted it here because the URL keeps getting rejected by THS. The website is "WoodWeb" and includes a forum for cabinet makers to exchange info.
    http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Kitchen_Corner_Cabinets.html

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

The Magic Corner unit can be installed with a drawer above it but that limits the height of stuff that can be stored on the pullout both directly under the drawer and in the blind corner. We chose to install both ours without drawers above.

• susan_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate the time you've taken.

• susan_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is a question for 'verysleepy'. How big are your shelves in your Rev a shelf unit. In the picture they look rather small. I used the link you posted but could only find one picture - I didn't see a bigger one.
    Thanks

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

melle sacto, if you want to return it, I think Lee Valley has a good returns policy. Within 3 months of purchase, full refund. They have a very good reputation, and if one of their products is defective or poor quality, I think they'll rectify things for you even after that. You might call and speak to customer or tech services about the problems you're having. If it's a matter of adjustment, they should recognize that and tell you how to correct it. I hope that's all it is, because I'm thinking of buying one too.

good luck!

• verysleepy
    16 years ago

Hi again

I found another photo on another website, with dimensions given... so I hope this helps. As I said, we cut the shelves down, and had them rewelded, so I don't know exactly how big they were. It does however hold the cuisinart and kitchenaid mixer without a problem. Click on the specification tabs, and it will show exact dimensions. A contractor can get this item at about half the retail cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: rev a shelf corner blind unit

• collette_p
    16 years ago

Has anyone used any of the blind cabinets that are similar to the ones by Shrock (in link below)?
    I am in the process of designing my new kitchen and found this forum and LOVE it. I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Thank you in advance,
    Collette

Here is a link that might be useful: Schrock Corner Cabinets

• dlspellman
    16 years ago

Those corners are nasty for accessing needed items. So I used mine for a recycling center. It pushes in like a traditional lazy susan from either side and inside are three triangular shaped garbage cans - I use one for paper, one for cardboard and one for glass and plastic. It's great!

My cabinets were custom made and the cabinet maker found the inside components somewhere out in cabinet supply land!

• oands_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Had the Kraftmaid swing out pantry put into our rental home-what a well designed solution. Made of wood, looks great and is durable