Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna214

About 95% Done Kitchen - Finally!

donna214
15 years ago

Hello Garden webbers. Although an infrequent poster, I have been an avid lurker for over a year and have laughed and cried along with all of your happy and sad moments. I gained invaluable insight and became totally kitchen obsessed in the process. I'd like to share pics of my just about done kitchen, but first, some of the during reno shots.

This is my kitchen during demo. This room has now become my dining room.

Demolition!!

Here is a link that might be useful: And After

Comments (29)

• morton5
    15 years ago

I think I need a password to see it.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

It asked for a password to see the 'after' pics. Now I'm left hanging! :) I'll be back.

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Darn. Does this work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Try Again

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Nope, still asking for a password.

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I set a guest password of...

kitchen

Let me know if that works.

• klutterkara
    15 years ago

Love it....wish I would have thought of the little shelves by the fridge!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Very nice job!! You used my favorite mix of cabinetry "colors". Stained, white/cream and black. I will be using those as well. Enjoy your new kitchen....

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Donna - I remember you posting a question about what paint color to use and the color you chose is really nice. I love all the different colors of finishes in your kitchen - the black, the cream, and the light wood tones plus your counters. Its a beautiful kitchen. I really love those built ins between the kitchen and dining room. They are lovely!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Hope you don't mind me putting this here. It's just too beautiful not to share but if you don't want it here, just change the name of the photo in photobucket and the link will break.

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

Love your ginkgo tiles - they add a really nice touch to your backsplash.

• caligal
    15 years ago

The paint turned out really nice! Your kitchen is huge. I like the color combos and your sinks are beautiful. The tile is still my fav and ties everthing together so well.

I have to give you and other lurkers credit for showing such great restraint on this forum. I can't seem to stop myself from replying or asking more questions.

Have fun and enjoy cooking and watching your flat screen!

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

great design! looks lovely. large spacious kitchen and dining area. love it all!

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

I love the color of that wood, especially against the beautiful butcher block and the soapstone (is it?)

Job well done!

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thansk to everyone for your kind words. momof3, yes, it is Beleza soapstone.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Beautiful, and I actually really like the design of the pocket doors. A question: do you remember what the make of the pocket door handles is? I really like it and it's so hard to find an alternative to the HD clunky looking stuff. TIA if you can remember :)

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flyleft, those pocket doors are original to the house. The house is about 100 years old and my carpenter took the hardware off and cleaned them up. The hardware had many years of paint on and inside of them and he did a wonderful job stripping them so they work good as new again. We have an old key he cleaned up and we can lock the doors. The hardware is brass and very cool.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I really like it. The pics of your demo are terrifying, though.

great choices.. thanks for sharing your finished product.

• worldmom
    15 years ago

OK, Donna. That is one seriously gorgeous kitchen! Your Beleza is wonderful, and I absolutely adore the cabinetry and columns separating your dining room and dinette. Beautiful!

You had to know we'd have questions. ;o) Here are mine:

Where did you get the light fixture? Same place as ndvweb?
    What are your cabinet paint colors?
    Did you turn your mudroom door into a dutch door, or was it always like that?

Your house looks like it is very similar to ours (1910), and I've been wanting to talk dh into chopping our pantry door in half to make a dutch door. We're using an original door there, so seeing your pic will help him catch my vision. :o)

Great work!

• gglks
    15 years ago

soooooo great! i also remember your paint post and i disagreed with the orangey color. it looks amazing. i guess that's why i'm not a decorator!!!!!! great choices all throughout the kitchen. enjoy it!!!!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Donna,
    I LOVE your kitchen! WOW! It turned out beautifully. You must be thrilled. Everything about it is just perfect.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

It is so beautiful and so roomy! Great job and enjoy!
    vic

• autumngal
    15 years ago

Wow! That's gorgeous! Great job, enjoy making many meals there and thanks for inspiring...

• elfmom
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen! I am about to pick a floor stain color and was wondering what stain you chose. Is that white oak? It's beautiful. Also what color paint did you use over the backsplash? Thanks!

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

worldmom - the light fixture is from a company called architects and heros. I could have ordere it online myself, but I got it through my kd.

The cabinets are semi custom from Greenfield. The perimeter are a painted maple called brie and the peninsula is maple stained amberglo with a light black glaze.

The mudroom is new to the house and so is the dutch door. A friend of mine has one to her mudroom, and I always wanted one so I can keep muddy dogs in there but still be able to see them.

Our house was also built in 1910 and it was very interesting to see the demo happening. The old kitchen has a cement hearth where and old woodstove probably used to sit and that has to be jack hammered out. We also had old knob and tube wiring and old plumbing that had to be replaced. We love the milding in the house, so we had that copied and carried over to the addition to keep the character of the house intact.

elfmom, yes, the floor is white oak and the stain color is minwax English Chestnut with a tung oil finish. So far we are loving it, although the dut does show up more than on our old lighter floors. The paint color on the walls is BM potters clay, the trim is BM cream fleece and the ceiling is BM monroe bisque.

• chris_in_15
    15 years ago

What a lovely kitchen. There are so many well thought out details. I especially like your solution as to where the butcher block meets the countertop. Very nice.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

I love the warm wood combined with the white cabs and black counters. Your pulley fixture is wonderful. What a beautiful, spacious kitchen. Enjoy.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Your white oak floors are gorgeous with that yummy stain. What width plank did you use? Your kitchen looks very nice. I love the red knobs on your stove and the red plant. One day I would love to have recessed lighting in my kitchen and some of my other rooms in my home.

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone, we are all truly enyoying living in our new space.

lynn, the floor is 6 inch rift and quartered white oak and we love the way it looks.

• morton5
    15 years ago

It's a stunner! You did a great job with your beautiful old house; what a thoughtful addition.