Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookworm4321

Encore crackle tile is in!

bookworm4321
10 years ago

The Encore tile arrived in exactly 4 weeks. It was packaged carefully, so nothing broken. I have a whole box not open, as there was no waste.. It is hard to show the true color without the undercab lights. The tile man enjoyed installing them.

Comments (37)

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!! Looks great with your counter and cabinets.

• romy718
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous! And go perfectly with your countertops! I don't know how many days/hours they've been installed but you are going to love them even more as you see them change depending on the hour of the day. Looking forward to more pics.
    What size tiles are they?

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Love the backsplash! What color Encore crackle tile did you use?

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

So beautiful! I plan on using the Encore crackle for my backsplash and every new photo of this installed just reconfirms that choice. Really nice - enjoy!

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They were just done. 2x6, Cameo.

The KD came by, and saw they I had placed the Mint color on top.
    Stop second guessing yourself!" He and s/o both felt the Mint too dark. The cameo doesn't show as much color pooling as the mint, but it has that sparkle to it.

I would use Encore again in a heartbeat. Ruby, what color are you using? Romy, I'm so glad I was reading GW and really hunted for these. Once I saw the sample boards, it was which color? My search for BS was at an end.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Perfect!

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

bookworm, The tile looks great and works well with your countertop. I have heard the Encore tiles are very expensive. Can you give me a ballpark on what your tiles cost and if you bought online the place you bought them.

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They were @ $28; 1300+ in all, for 400 pieces They ended up being a few hundred less because the size was bigger. Also, they came so perfect, I have a whole extra box, and enough in last box for any future mistakes (like me breaking a tile). In all my looking, I only found one less expensive, at $23, so I got use to this figure.

There was only one store in my area that carried them, and that was a local shop, not the one listed on Encore website (that was an hour drive, and didn't carry them). I just got lucky. I'd suggest you call the main store to get current shops. It is hard to explain, but the finish is like glass. When you get close, you see tiny veins/crackle all though and some sparkle.

I worried they would be cream in color, but more a gray/taupe/ hint of green. There was the lightest of the green-tone colors. There was mint and peridot, and many darker shades. The other board has a blue-tone. Ice is lightest, silver, stone, and then darker.

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

bookworm - I am considering the silver or truffle because those are colors in the Bravo line. Yours are beautiful and I wouldn't have guessed cameo. I just love these tiles for their subtle and distinct beauty. Your kitchen looks lovely!

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

Very pretty! Love the color!

• SusanNJ72
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I love your counters, too - do you mind my asking what they are? Everything works perfectly together.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

bookworm (love your screen name by the way) - soo soo pretty! The more crackle I see the more I love it. It has so much character but not flashy but still some sparkle yet. Thanks for sharing the cost information too. Enjoy.

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

Boookworm, Thank you so much for sharing the info on the pricing and the colors in ths tile. The color you are explaining would go well with our counters also.

I know a store that carries them so will stop by the store and check them out.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Those are very, very pretty tiles and they look wonderful with the counter and cabs. Lovely!

• Sarina
    10 years ago

Very nice I loved the Encore. So pretty. Can I asked why you stairstepped down the tile on that one wall?

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I feel like I've become an Encore fan. Truly, they exceeded my expectations.

I thought my quartzite was unique, called Van Gogh by Nature of Marble. Later I learned it had a common name, which I cannot think of at the moment. Something beginning with an N___ I never loved it, but felt it was a good match for cabinets. I passed by this exact stone in another store, but the small store had material with the most amazing flow, like watching a shallow spring. When I get colors right, I'll post the largest piece, which was used for peninsula. When you use a busy countertop, you are forced to go with a quieter BS. In the future, it would be wise to chose both at same time. I honestly think the BS is mure crucial than the counters.

For example, if I had used Blue Pearl for granite, I found tiles which were white with hand-painted blue trim. They were expensive, but Blue Pearl is just as sturdy as a quartzite. (My mom's blue pearl is still going strong; her cocktail table serves my sister for years with heavy use.)

This has been such a learning process, where to splurge, how to combine all elements. Oh, if only I could start again!!!

In all honesty, the tiles are only element that exceeded my expectations.

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sarina,

Decision to stairstep was mutual with me and KD. Everywhere else, we went with cabinets line. KD offered suggestion to go with countertop, but it would have been only place in kitchen where BS extended beyond cabinets. I only went to end of cabs, then that little "landing spot" would have risk of far more paint than tile.

For the tile installer, much easier to just extend from cabinets, and go down towards countertops. I used his triangle to calculate how much to cut, so the steps would be equal.

In the end, just a matter of preference. This is a detail I had no time to research; I was asked to make a quick decision prior to leaving for work. I thought the step design was better than going long with CTs or short with cabinets. I am no authority whatsoever.

• SusanNJ72
    10 years ago

Well, I think your counters are beautiful! They remind me of sand at the beach when a shallow wave washes over it. Very special! And you did a great job putting it all together.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Oh my, beautiful with your countertops!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

BW
    I love your choice!
    Great job!
    Keep those pictures coming

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

Edited due to duplicate post. Sorry.

This post was edited by akshars_mom on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 0:24

• Muffett
    10 years ago

Wow - outstanding selection. And backsplash is really hard to choose! I like the stair step - neat idea.

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I love the colors in your kitchen - cabinets, countertop and BS.

• redroze
    10 years ago

So so beautiful. Everything goes together amazingly well. What to do with the leftover tile...why not tile that entire wall rather than doing that staircase thingy with your tile? That would look great.

• mjocean
    10 years ago

I love your granite, cabinets and tile. They look beautiful and compliment each other. Great job.
    MJ

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Really lovely, bookworm - you make me want to start over too! I'll be so much wiser next time. I think I agree that bs is more important than counters; we always see the backsplash but don't see the counters unless we are standing and looking down.

• defc
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. The counter looks like taj mahal quartzite- is that correct? Thanks

• avossohouse
    9 years ago

Bookworm, are you able to share where you bought your tile from? Thanks

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Very pretty! It really looks great. You must be so pleased with everything!

• heritagehd07
    9 years ago

Lovely tile and a great complement to your beautiful counters.

• tilelady1234
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!! Enjoy Bookworm! A spectacular choice and great installation job!!

• melh22
    8 years ago

Thanks for the pictures and glad you finally chose a backsplash. I'm in the midst of that decision right now. Encore Cameo was one of my favorites, but I'm still unsure. I googled it and came to your post. Can you tell me, does it look that grey in person or is that just my monitor? When saw it in the store, it seemed to me to be more like a light gold-green color. I appreciate your insight!

• Erica L
    8 years ago

In the event the OP is still around - can you tell me what you paid to have the tiles shipped to you? I have about 200 pieces and they are telling me $650 to my cabinet makers shop or $800 to my house. I'm in Tampa and I guess Encore is in Oregon.

• Matthew Rieger
    7 years ago

Did you use sanded or un-sanded grout?

• romy718
    7 years ago

Sanded grout for 1/8" and larger grout lines. Un-Sanded for under 1/8". Caulk (not grout) in tne joint between the tile & the countertop.

• Stephanie Woodley
    3 years ago

What color of Bravo? Is this Ecru or Cameo or Beach?