Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzhwong

Appliance garage or no?

lzhwong
11 years ago

I currently have an easy reach cabinet for the corner but would like some storage to house my Kitchen Aid mixer and other small appliances. The cabinet to the right of the dishwasher will be a hutch style cabinet where the cabinet touches the countertop. I will use it to store everyday dishes. I was thinking of having another hutch style cabinet on the left but was wondering if it will look funny with the easy reach cabinet. Any thoughts/comments?

I like the look of two hutch style cabinets flanking the sink but I will also have some uppers next to the hutch.

Comments (13)

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is an example of two hutch style cabinets flanking the sink.

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Perhaps I can do a long side cab? Thoughts?

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

One thing to keep in mind is that these take up counter space. We were going to do one but I didn't think it left us with enough space in our situation. YMMV

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

breezygirl: I didn't know how to describe the hutch cab in MDP's pic so I just referred to it as a long side cab instead of a corner cab.

I'm wondering how I can do something like MDP since the corner wall is much deeper than what MDP has. The windows for our build have already been purchased so I can't really make the window above the sink much longer.

I was thinking of two variations. Either having the hutch on the cooktop wall or on the sink side wall. Which variation do you think will look better? The hutch cabinet on the far right (next to the dishwasher) will house daily dishware and the hutch cabinet to the left will have an appliance garage for the mixer.

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Variation 2

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

If you're planning on using your stand mixer from that hutch, you will need counter space in front of it. You'll have to slide the mixer out to use. Option 2 won't allow you to do that. In Option 1, you'd have to store next to the wall in the hutch facing the cleanup sink. Then, you'll have to have space free in the cleanup zone for your ingredients, bowls, etc that you use when operating the mixer.

Other thoughts...do you use the mixer for baking or prepping or both? Do you have a baking zone? If so, where is it? Will the stand mixer in that corner be easily accessible for the baking zone? What else will you store in the hutch?

I struggled with something similar in my layout planning. I also wanted to hide the stand mixer in hutch in the corner between my cleanup sink and rangetop. I struggled placing the hutch in such a small corner (yours is bigger) while not impeding on my cleanup zone and still having then mixer available enough to the baking zone to the right of the rangetop and the prep zone across the way on the island. In the end, I had to give up the hutch and just store my mixer naked for the world to see. I do think I use it more often than I would had I needed to drag it out of a cab first.

Here's how it looks.

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Breezygirl: Your kitchen is truly beautiful! I think you were the one with the wonderful spice drawer idea. I plan on purchasing those circular containers and making a similar drawer for myself. I think Option 1 is definitely the way to go. I currently do not have a baking zone in my kitchen but I can use that hutch area as a quasi baking zone and store my baking supplies in the hutch. Do you think having open shelves to the right of the hutch is a good idea or should I leave that area alone?

Another question for you - what is the width of the hutch you have to the right of your dishwasher? The exterior dimensions of mine will be just shy of 3 feet. Do you think the two hutches need to match? The one I have planned next to the dishwasher will look similar to yours except no glass front. Obviously, the one next to the stove will be constructed differently to house the mixer. I could perhaps put 2 fake drawer fronts on it. Thoughts?

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another option would be to extend the hutch across the wall with the sink. I could pull the mixer out on the cooktop countertop. My other problem with this is that it would not be symmetrical to the one on the other side of the dishwasher. Would that look funny?

• User
    11 years ago

Wouldn't your island be the logical baking area? It has a huge prep space, so have you considered a mixer lift base cabinet for your Kitchenaid?

What other small appliances do you want to keep in the garage?

• michelle16
    11 years ago

It depends what is most important to you. I definitely wanted all toaster ovens, microwave and coffee pot hidden. I have the two hutches flanking sink and no problems with space. If extra counter is more imp. than hiding stuff, then only do one in the corner. Hope that helps, Michelle

• User
    11 years ago

With your prep sink smack dab in the middle of your actual working prep space on the island, I wouldn't add any more functional blockages to this kitchen.

• andi_k
    11 years ago

Your kitchen layout is just about exactly what we have. I did the appliance garage facing the sink (if that's the best way to describe it?) :)

Instead of doing a full cabinet, we actually put in a half wall bc i was doing a separate spice cabinet and it just worked better. Then, we did a cabinet door on it so it's still finished like the cabinetry. I love it~I keep my can opener, hand mixer and misc stuff in there. Be sure to put an outlet inside as well!

Below is a link to pics. look at the 2nd picture to give you a better idea.

hth

Andi

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pics